Oil Filter Efficiency Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, about 3 months late, due to 2 surgeries, et.al.
Thanks for your patience and generous help in getting the data.

Finally collected it all in one place.
go to http://www.systems-engineering-associates.com/papers
and look for "avocation"
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I think this is gonna be controversial.
27.gif

This much is certain. I'll sit back for a bit.

Avanti: Good work, at least in construction and detail. I'm uncertain of the results/conclusions, but an excellent presentation.

I'm just trying to grasp that the Mobil 1 and the Supertech has the same composite score. Apparently, there is no difference in filtration according to the paper. If there is, this is not evident. Price difference are extremely evident as is construction.

So other than the first 3 filters, all other filters got zero scores for <15 & 15-30?

Well, I won't argue with the order too much. I would put WIX at 4th. PureOne would still get my vote on the best buy for most people ..especially under the criteria that he spelled out (if I read it correctly).

What I can't figure out is the green/black deal. One would reason that green is good and that black is "less". Yet, he gives scores that would put the Amsoil EaO very far down the list. On a cost/value, again, based on the black/green, it should be at the bottom just due to its higher costs.

I can't see M1 or PureOne being at the absolute level @ 15um. There may be one or two WIX applications that fall into the 8um @ 95% ..but they're rare
21.gif

The "study" needs clarification on the beta/micron data. Surely there is some difference between the filtering capability of the 22 filters below the top three. If beta/micron data wasn't available for the filter, that should be noted.

I did forget my manners
blush.gif

I hope all is well with your surgeries in terms of recovery and long term prognosis. We're all getting into the "pucker" zone with health issues. Good luck to you
cheers3.gif

BTW, I think the whole "green/black" dot thing is a place-holding design. In other words, as the score in any particular characteristic is increased, the rating changes from a black dot to a green circle. Imagine it like an old Ford linear speedometer; the further it travels from the left to right, the "color" changes to indicate relative position.

1. you are right!
2. due to the company e-mails, I decided not to provide numberic scores but go with the Consumer's Reports approach. The only difference with that they use Red open "Dots" for level of "goodness". Using "artistic license" I felt green looked better for "good!"
3. am I the only one here who subscribes to either Consumer's Digest or Consumer's Reports?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
BTW, I think the whole "green/black" dot thing is a place-holding design. In other words, as the score in any particular characteristic is increased, the rating changes from a black dot to a green circle. Imagine it like an old Ford linear speedometer; the further it travels from the left to right, the "color" changes to indicate relative position.

I did not do a "value" column, as I was not confident on how to weight the factors. I tried several models, none were satisfying. So, I punted.
I did take a flyer and put in a "Consumers-Report-Style" "best buy." I am reconsidering that. Again, a question of the right "model."

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Okay, with that prompt, dave, I see the "PRICE" column isn't a "VALUE" column

Originally Posted By: 63Avanti
I have data only on EaO filters, next fix, I will make that clear.
Sorry for the Confusion

Yikes. What an upset. Those things were supposed to be the crème de la crème in terms of fine particle filtration...

I agree that Pure Ones, Napa Golds, Bosch Premiums and Wix are "Silicone ADBV Best Buy Oil Filters". So are the few inexpensive Motorcraft models that have a silicone ADBV. Your ratings for Amsoil and Mobil-1 filters are way-off-base. These brands trap micron debris better than any other on your list. For the few that need this type of filtering demand, price is not an issue. For the other 90% of the population that doesn't need this intense of filtering for typical passenger vehicles of today, it's still their right to rate them the best.

Some here view a $20 bill the same way you may view $4 in value. Your idea of a star may not be their idea of a star... or vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back