Oil change interval due to filter age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von

Hi, I haven't been active on here for a while.
I need someone to bring me up to date on the max life of a filter. I have some trucks/tractors/mowers that are maintained as a backup or for special jobs and may not operate but say, 25 hours per year, or 2500 miles per year.
I used to hear all the time change annually. I think it was due to the media in the filter breaking down over time.
Is that still the current thought?
I would love to know if I can reasonably go say, 18 months without hurting anything?????
Thanks in advance,
Von

Last edited:
PS: In case it matters, I use Wix filters from CarQuest and mostly Rotella T in one version or another.
Von

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Probably no problem but why not contact the filter manufacture and see what their data shows?

Couldn't hurt anything I guess.
What about the oil itself.
It doesn't "look" bad - the color has hardly changed.
Is there some time component to the oil after it is contaminated by byproducts of combustion???
Don't tell me - check with Shell!
laugh.gif

Just curious.
Von

Can't you change the filter without changing your oil?? I will sometimes change my oil filter and just add back what oil I lost due to changing the filter.

Maybe I am not understanding your question or application?

I would have thought the Rotella oil and Wix filter were pretty high end, even if not the very best. The diesel oil is strong, and Wix used to be well respected when I was active on BITOG (been a while).

I run my Wix filter and Rotella 10w-30 for three-year OCIs in my 1966 Mustang. I only run about 300 or 400 miles a year in it.

Never had an issue.

I run two and three year oils and filters intervals on various farm equipment (tractors, trucks, small engines) with no issues and I cut open the filters every time and have never seen any deterioration (I have posed a few filter pics, as well as UOAs, so check my posts). 18 months is a no sweat deal.

A few years back, I changed the hydraulic filter (a Fram no less) in a tractor that had a 1980s date code. Looked fine. Heck, I recently helped a guy tear down a Jeep flathead that had been sitting in a field for about 15 years. Took the filter housing apart and the oil actually looked just like any old used oil and the filter looked like any old used filter. And considering filter materials are better now than ever, there's even less to worry about.

Those last two posts were what I wanted to hear.
Especially since you are looking inside the filter.
It isn't a huge amount of money saved, but when you have a couple of dozen pieces of equipment it adds up, not to mention the time saved, and waste oil to dispose of (more time).
Thanks so much for the replies.
Out of curiosity, I emailed Wix and Shell.
If interesting, I'll post their replies.
Von

Originally Posted By: Von
Out of curiosity, I emailed Wix and Shell.
If interesting, I'll post their replies.
Von

Any oil or filter manufacture will be on the conservative side on this issue. They will probably tell you to change oil every year and filter every 18 months max.

I've left filters on for 2~2.5 years on vehicles with low use, and they looked fine after being cut open.

I would not hesitate to let oil and filters be in use for 3 years, IF the occasional useage is good, full temp type operation.

If there are a bunch of short cycles, ultra-cold starting, etc, then perhaps shorter intervals are worth considering. Condensation is the key to avoid here. Still, sumps "breathe" even when sitting idle. So there's always going to be some amount of moisture present. The best you can do is try to control it by reducing it's presence and affect.

Most of us with experience on longer intervals, who also cut open our filters, see no issues with it. As stated, OEM and aftermarket suppliers are going to be ultra conservative because:
1) they have to worry about warranty claims
2) it costs them nothing to be so conservative, because they are not the ones paying the maintenance costs

I recall a post from a few years ago where a man did maintenance on his father's Toyota Tundra, and after 4 years and 10k miles, pulled a UOA. Everything was fine.

Last edited:
Well, you guys only thought you were "conservative."
Let me introduce you to conservative:

Quote:
Dear Sir,

We recommend changing oil at least every 6 months, even for equipment that is not in service.

Regards,

Shell Technical

grin.gif

The marine machinery I've operated and maintained often went many years on the same filter without failures. One time related consideration is for long extended oil drain intervals where the filter gets thousands of hours at high temperatures. The heat will eventually damage nitrile rubber parts but not silicone rubber parts.

1 year for paper, 2 years for treated paper, and 3 years for synthetic media. At least thats what Ive always used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back