OHV/OHC vs. Flatheads.... AND THE WINNER IS......!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OHC imo are a fail cuz of the timing belt.

OHV is nice for easier starts and fuel economy. assuming they use a metal cam gear. easier to adjust valve clearance.

Flat heads are time tested and proven.

I think well made OHV's will gain the same rep of flat heads assuming they don't skimp on material quality.

Originally Posted By: Texan4Life

I think well made OHV's will gain the same rep of flat heads assuming they don't skimp on material quality.

I would think they pretty much have given the Briggs Vanguard has been around for pretty close to 30yrs now I believe.

Joel

Like we've hashed out before, when you're talking smaller engines around 7hp or less, it doesn't matter if it's flat head or OHV. They'll both perform and last about the same.

When you're talking larger and twin cylinder engines, OHV will generally win the hour meter contest every time. They cool themselves more effectively, thus the valves stay seated and piston rings last for more hours.

My first OHV is a Tecumseh on a Lawnboy SP. It was a freebie. All it needed was some long 3/8 bolts that I could put nuts on. I keep it as a back up weed wacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back