Off brand oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this has been posted before then I have not been able to find it and I'm sorry. Below is a list of "off brand oils" and I would like to see if anyone out there knows who actually bottles them. Thanks for the input.

AAP motor oil - (it is in a brown bottle like Havoline but on the back of the bottle is says that it is not bottled by Havoline.

AAP Tranny fluid - it is in the same blue bottle as Valvoline Tranny fluid but on the back it says that it is not made by Ashland Oil Company.

Napa motor oil - I was told this is made by Valvoline

Super Tech motor oil - I went to Wal-Mart today and some of the bottles on the bottom were stamped WPP and some were stamped WNE. I know WPP is Warren but is Warren a good quality oil compared to Castrol, Valvoline, etc? And who is WNE???

Super Tech Tranny Fluid - I have no idea who makes this stuff.

Thanks for any information on this. I have always bought "brand name" oils before but I thought I could save a little $$$ if I actually found out who made the "other oils".

some of them I just answered my own question.

Valvoline makes Napa Oil and trans fluid
Coastal / Unilube makes AAP motor oil and ATF

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post259364

Quote:

"HOUSTON – The American Petroleum Institute's Lubricants Committee last week heard the outcome of its 2004 engine oil aftermarket audit program, which checks on the quality of API-licensed engine oils sold in the retail marketplace worldwide. Nearly a dozen licensed products were “nonconforming” and flunked API's scrutiny in some way, the Nov. 7 meeting was told -- including two which were so bad they could cause damage to vehicle engines."

2% didn't; not too good considering the # of quarts that might represent.

Last edited:
I ran some of that inexpensive Fleet 15w-40 in my old diesel and sent out a sample. It's the stuff A-Zone sells for $7.99 a gallon.

While it was much better than the 30 yr old oil that was in the engine it's no where near as good as Delo, Delvac or Rotella.

I think these "store brands" are ok.
This summer, I used AAP oil for a 500 mile flush after changing the leaky manifold gaskets in my Bonneville.

I feel there are better quality oils/ATF out there for a better price. It pays to shop around and look for deals....
I love saving $$$
cheers.gif

Bob

Quote:

I think these "store brands" are ok.
This summer, I used AAP oil for a 500 mile flush after changing the leaky manifold gaskets in my Bonneville.

I feel there are better quality oils/ATF out there for a better price. It pays to shop around and look for deals....
I love saving $$$
cheers.gif

Bob

me too, saving a little $$$ here and there helps. I went to Napa's website, clicked on their oil to get the MSDs and the MSDs for Valvoline came up. I did that for their motor oil and trans fluid. I emailed Pep Boys and they responded with a smart --- answer and said that they could not tell me (to sum it up). They just lost a customer.
spankme.gif

Since we are on the topic of off brands, I had to use some oil that I have seen in mostly gas stations around the N. MN area but it's called Zecol Max. I did a little searching for it on the internet but not a lot of hits for it. Anyone else use/heard of it?

Quote:

Since we are on the topic of off brands, I had to use some oil that I have seen in mostly gas stations around the N. MN area but it's called Zecol Max. I did a little searching for it on the internet but not a lot of hits for it. Anyone else use/heard of it?

nope never heard of it. does it have an API logo on it anywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back