OCOD 20k mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Nothing wrong with an orange can.

I don't know why but I always LOL when I read that.

...but i agree this thread is:

2wquz5x.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MarkStock
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i have found that filters that do not filter don't get dirty..
that goes with them all

There have been cases of FRAM's with the bypass stuck open.

I could see this going either way, but then look at the results.

If one accepts that the filters don't "filter" well, then that would explain a long lifecycle.
If one accepts that the fitler ADBV was open, then that would explain a long lifecycle.

But, how would that explain the "need" for a "better" filter? The car didn't die an ugly death, did it? It's almost a condemnation of the concept that filters would be needed. I'm not saying that filters are worthless. What I'm saying is that between the two of you, your positions of a poor quality OCOD (either poor media or poor ADBV) results in a car that had nothing go wrong with it. So why should folks get so worked up over a normal OCI with the OCOD? By your logic, complete filter failure had no consequence after 20k miles.

Your unintended contribution to the debate is that filter failure is inconsequential because the reality is that nothing bad happened.

OTOH - I would contend that the OCOD here performed a job well enough with no failures. It functioned probably in a decent manner, and the conditions of operation were mellow enough that nothing overt happened. The OCOD isn't the "best" made filter; I think we'd agree on that. What I'm pointing out is that filtration isn't the only thing that controls wear, and this particular situation didn't suffer because of it.

The OP took it apart, after a very lengthy OCI. And yet is was essentially normal to him. Why must it infer a failure just because it lasted so long? Did it ever occur to us that the conditions were such that the filter and engine simply were not in a condition severe enough to elicit failure?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The OP took it apart, after a very lengthy OCI. And yet is was essentially normal to him. Why must it infer a failure just because it lasted so long? Did it ever occur to us that the conditions were such that the filter and engine simply were not in a condition severe enough to elicit failure?

The filter could have been loaded-up enough with very small debris (hard to see with the naked eye) to where the bypass valve was opening up quite a bit. Visual inspection isn't always total proof of the condition or load factor of the media. Mostly if his claim that this 20K OCI was all made up of 10 miles back road trips over a years time.

ok guys it does look bad. let me try to explain. like i originally said I was just bored and really did not look up the exact miles nor did I take pictures. Now that I see people actually are entertained here Ill put some effort in and take some pictures.

to be exact 20k miles was just a guess. I do know for a fact the oil was put in October of 2011 and we just drained it the first week of November 2012. To what I remember The car had close to 140,000 on it when we did the oil service. The car now has 158,000. I did round up by saying 20k. I also made the mistake by saying the car only got used 20 miles a day. If I actually think about that last YEAR the car has obviously been used more then that. Just mathematically we are looking more at an average of 50 miles a day. It makes sense because the first part of the OCI the car was used alot for doctors appointments and hospital visits but within the last 6 months the car has seen mainly just those 20 mile days I said earlier. which if I really calculate is actually a 26 mile day since the school is 13 miles from here now that I look it up. So really my original post was me just speculating about how well the "OC of DEATH" did for such a nasty OCI. id expect any filter to look worse then what it did. So for everyone calling me a troll I'm sorry for not posting a correct proper thread. BITOG is harsh and I forget that.

Pictures!
DSCN1197.jpg

DSCN1206.jpg

DSCN1200.jpg

DSCN1202.jpg

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Do people actually need to be told a vehicle needs more than fuel.

Yes, they do.

I abused my GT a few years ago before I started paying attention to my vehicles. It would go a year or more without a change and usually it was with Kendall or whoever had the cheapest special at the time.

A friend's dad changed my oil but he didn't mention anything about sludge so it must have still been doing its job. Those Pontiacs are tough beasts!

Looks very good for a presumable 18k-ish OCI, the engine must be clean because it sure doesn't look like it took much abuse although that grundge in the bottom of the can suggests oil break down or coolant contamination.

why do you think i cut it open? I expected it to be clogged too haha.

I bet this gets done a lot more then we realize. The people who are cheap/broke and just don't care about their cars and go too far between changes are the same people who buy the cheapest oil and cheapest filters.(does not mean any bad towards the cheaper products) we have all seen a few cars with very long OCIs on cheap conventional oil with OCODs and their cars still run good. obviously over time that type of abuse will ruin it but engines are pretty stout to neglect for what I would have thought

Last edited:
I think the OP should repost this in a new thread with the right info.

18k on an OCOD and the filter in perfect shape. Quite a story.

It's interesting to ponder

1) Either the Toyota Vibe is such a good engine that this filter, presumably good for 5k, did not clog up for almost 4 times it's rating
2) Not only that, PYB can go 18k!
3) Or the filter is clogged and operated in bypass and the engine has sludge now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back