OCOD 20k mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
first off No scientific findings here, I'm just bored.
Today I took my sisters 04 Pontiac vibe oil filter down to the shop to inspect the insides by cutting it open.

The car is neglected pretty badly. This OCI was over 1 year/20k miles on PYB 5w-30! no express way, no long trips. used daily to drive 10 miles to school in morning and 10 miles home in evening, all paved backroads.

I opened the Orange can up to find it in BEAUTIFUL shape...
No sludge or build up, the filter pleats were even and strong. The "cardboard" endcaps were very ridged and strong, I was unable to break any of the filter with my fingers as i tried to find a weak spot. I didn't even take pictures because it looked like any other filter with 5k miles on it. The ADBV is still pretty flexible compared to my others I have from past filters.

I'm pretty Impressed for a Fram Orange can of death run on conventional oil for such a long time. Why didn't the car explode? lol

now it has QS DEFY 5w-30 with another OCOD. I first felt bad getting another one but now I don't mind at all, at least not on my own machines.
grin.gif

I don't believe fram is as bad as some members claim. Is it the best filter on earth,no,however it's cost effective.
20000 on pyb eh. That's insanity. What did the oil look like when drained? Mud maybe. I hope no damage as a result.
I don't get it. Buy a nice car and not maintain it.
I've got a friend who works at a budget car dealer here. He gets customers who call in after buying a car stating various issues. Almost every issue is owner neglect. Do people actually need to be told a vehicle needs more than fuel.

I used OCOD filters for decades prior to joining Bitog, never a problem with them, ever.

Originally Posted By: MrRPM

The car is neglected pretty badly. This OCI was over 1 year/20k miles on PYB 5w-30! no express way, no long trips. used daily to drive 10 miles to school in morning and 10 miles home in evening, all paved backroads.

One year at 20 miles round trip per day, times 5 days a week, times 36 weeks of school in a year = 3600 miles.

What happened to the other 16,400 miles in that 1 year OCI?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

One year at 20 miles round trip per day, times 5 days a week, times 36 weeks of school in a year = 3600 miles.

What happened to the other 16,400 miles in that 1 year OCI?
grin.gif

My first thought as well. 20k is a lot to do without hwy driving in one year.

20mi/day x 365 = 7300 - still quite a bit short.

used daily to drive 10 miles to school in morning and 10 miles home in evening, all paved backroads.

5 times a week, 36 weeks a year = 3600 miles

it looked like any other filter with 5k miles on it

So a FRAM with 3.6k looks like other filters with 5k.

How do you account for 20,000 miles in a year with no long trips? Even if you account for summer school, there's a missing 15,000 miles. She'd have to drive nearly 300 miles each weekend to make that up. Something is fishy.

Originally Posted By: steveh
Food for the troll!!!

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Yummy yummy

How could a Toyota (based) vehicle rack up those miles,when it probably spent one whole month at the dealers doing all the recall notices....

Something doesn't add up here... I'd imagine 10k at the most if all she did was school / runs around town for activities, shopping, food, etc.

I don't think anyone has ever really claimed a FRAM OCOD will kill your car. The mainstay argument has always been that buying a FRAM OCOD is like buying No-Name Coca Cola when real Coca Cola is the same price.

Why buy the cheapest you can get when the other (often arguable better built, or at least considered overbuilt) options aren't breaking the bank?

That being said it doesn't sound like a 20k mile OCI at any rate. If it was maybe the car was just very /very/ uniquely easy on the oil. If that is the case only a UOA will probably come back pretty poorly if anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
How could a Toyota (based) vehicle rack up those miles,when it probably spent one whole month at the dealers doing all the recall notices....

28.gif
lol

I can't figure out those miles. I am retired, and since November 2010 have driven 20,000+ miles. There is a Fram PH8A fastened to my car right now too! If the years go by like the miles have done, I will "geezer out" pretty soon for sure!

The next filter might be a Bosch Premium I have in the Stash.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i have found that filters that do not filter don't get dirty..
that goes with them all

There have been cases of FRAM's with the bypass stuck open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back