OCI is here Which flavor shall I use ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'll be doing my OCI this weekend and some advice from my BITGO brothers.................

Vehicle:

2001 Suburban 5.3 260K miles. Mixed city/highway driving NO hauling

Does have the LS engine "Piston slap" issue. Getting mixed advice from my local automotive circle to keep 10W30 and other saying to switch to 5W30 ???

Oil options in my stash:

Mobil 1 AP 5W30
Mobil 1 5W30
Mobil 1 EP 10W30
Mobil Super 5000 5W30 / 10W30
Pennzoil HI-MI platinum 10W30 made from natural gas

Oil Filter:
Keeping the XG3675 currently on it until next OCI
wink.gif

Thanks in advance !!

Last edited:
Based on your stash, looks to be Mobil oil; I'd throw all the 5w30s together in a bin and pick blindfolded. It IS winter after all.

I would recommend M1 HM, but you don't have that, so pick any 5w30 and go with it. Oil selection won't get rid of the LS engine piston slap. I've listened to my Camaro's cold start piston slap for 16 years, and it hasn't kept it from reaching 270k miles.

Last edited:
If you have piston slap, save the high HTHS oil for the summer, run light 30s until April. If your looking for the optimal time to use 5w, winter is naturally that time. That leaves Mobil Super 5000 finding his best time in the coldest months (now, if now is the coldest run for you.)

There was just another post by OVERKILL saying oil won't fix piston slap!

If you want to get rid of your oils slowy, use one of the 5Ws now and save the 10Ws for summer.

Originally Posted by Marco620
PPHM. Bring Braums ice cream too please.

Meh.......Braum's is overrated, I'm more of a Baskin Robbins guy lol

Dave

Originally Posted by Brian553
If you have piston slap, save the high HTHS oil for the summer, run light 30s until April. If your looking for the optimal time to use 5w, winter is naturally that time. That leaves Mobil Super 5000 finding his best time in the coldest months (now, if now is the coldest run for you.)

Hmmm....This is exactly what I was thinking before I posted and you just backed it up
cool.gif

Thanks Brian
cheers3.gif

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back