NRA "Do Not Promote" list

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed the NRA a bit of a rant about how I was renouncing my membership because I hadn't signed up for the publisher's clearing house and sending me junk was a waste of my membership and donations. As many of you know, they get a little wild with the junk mail. I'd called awhile back but didn't get any help from the girl on the phone. After a few more months of the junk deluge I figured I'd had enough and would quit. TSRA, on the other hand, doesn't do that. If they send you something, it's important and it's on plain white paper in black ink in a regular envelope. Spartan efficiency.

To my surprise, I got a reply from a guy named Mike over there who put me on a "Do Not Promote" list. This way I get something occasional, like a membership renewal, but none of the trash. Saves them money and makes me happy. To stay informed, I signed up for the daily email updates. They're well laid out and you can use them as a kind of executive summary of what's going on. Much more and better information than the snail-mail.

He asked me to tell people who might be interested about the list to send him an email, so here's what you do if you want to be done with the junk: Send an email with your name and member number (if you have it) to [email protected] and ask them to add you to the "Do Not Promote" list. You can sign up for the emails, if you want, by going to https://secure.nraila.org/EmailSignup.aspx and signing up for an account.

Last edited:
They certainly send a lot of junk.

FYI: the junk you receive is usually 3rd party and that 3rd party has paid the NRA for their brand name and mailing list. The NRA isn't spending any money sending junk to you, they profit form it even if you throw it in the trash.

Oh, I realize that the sponsor stuff isn't on our dime. The stuff that bothered me was the incessant "gimme some money" mail that they're spending 49c a pop to send me. I mean I know that the evil liberals hate our freedoms, but do I really need 4 cotton fiber heavyweight legal size paper, full color, gold leaf embossed 5 page long letters from Chris Cox mailed to me every month to tell me that? That's retarded, and a terrible waste of money. I mean, why donate if it all goes to expensive letterhead? I'd rather just get it from email.

It is my understanding that this list means you only get your membership renewals and a couple of others a year, without the NRA solicitations or promo junk. You can even get your magazine in digital, if you want to further cut down on costs.

Didn't know that they had a "do not promote" list.
Promotions are part every companies' budget.
Looks like my letter-carrier will has less work to do in the future. Time to get me off the junk mail list.

What customer service email address did you send your complaint to?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I emailed the NRA a bit of a rant about how I was renouncing my membership because I hadn't signed up for the publisher's clearing house and sending me junk was a waste of my membership and donations. As many of you know, they get a little wild with the junk mail. I'd called awhile back but didn't get any help from the girl on the phone. After a few more months of the junk deluge I figured I'd had enough and would quit. TSRA, on the other hand, doesn't do that. If they send you something, it's important and it's on plain white paper in black ink in a regular envelope. Spartan efficiency.

To my surprise, I got a reply from a guy named Mike over there who put me on a "Do Not Promote" list. This way I get something occasional, like a membership renewal, but none of the trash. Saves them money and makes me happy. To stay informed, I signed up for the daily email updates. They're well laid out and you can use them as a kind of executive summary of what's going on. Much more and better information than the snail-mail.

He asked me to tell people who might be interested about the list to send him an email, so here's what you do if you want to be done with the junk: Send an email with your name and member number (if you have it) to [email protected] and ask them to add you to the "Do Not Promote" list. You can sign up for the emails, if you want, by going to https://secure.nraila.org/EmailSignup.aspx and signing up for an account.

Thank You for that- I'd like to minimize my junk mail and I wish everyone offered this like the NRA!

Thank you for posting this.

I have wanted to stop getting the "junk-mail" since I became a member, as I feel it is just wasted money for the NRA.

DLB

I have been through all that jazz with the "do not promote". I have called and talked to a person. I have sent certified mail. I can tell you that this did nothing to stop all the piles of junk I find in my mailbox from them almost weekly.

When my membership expires, I will not renew it. I am curious to know how much money it cost them to send me all the junk that they do. I wonder how long it was before my donation to the cause was totally nullified by the cost of junk mail.

When my membership expires, I will not renew it.

Reply to the above quote.
With the NRA being the bigest dog on the porch & doing more to protect our firearm rights, the statement is ridiculous.

Its that diffucult for one to throw paper in the trash.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
When my membership expires, I will not renew it.

Reply to the above quote.
With the NRA being the bigest dog on the porch & doing more to protect our firearm rights, the statement is ridiculous.

I am sure that they could put my $300 to better use if they would stop spending money sending me stuff that I have asked them countless times to stop sending.

Thank You for that- I'd like to minimize my junk mail and I wish everyone offered this like the NRA! [/quote]

Everyone does. It's a matter of Federal law that companies have to provide you with their privacy policy and allow you to specify whether or not you want your information shared. It's all buried in fine print legalese they send you, but every company, including your bank and insurance company, allow you that option. You just have to call them up and ask...

Cheers,

You're right, but this covers the stuff coming from other companies with whom they've shared your info (what you're talking about) AS WELL AS the stuff from within the organization. We're members of the organization, and there's no law to protect us from that. We chose to be members, and part of membership is getting information from them. Offering the option to be removed from that list isn't something that they have to do, it's something they do because the membership has asked for it. If they didn't offer the option, then the only option to stop receiving the mail would be to quit.

Anyone who is going to cancel their membership because of the junk, make sure and tell them why you are doing so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back