Not Following the Spec'd Oil Filter Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
On my wife's Civic, I change the oil filter every other OCI, as indicated by Honda's Maintenance Minder (MM.) I posted this on the Civic forum and it seems I've ruffled some feathers.

Most of the arguments (most of which I've read on here as well,) include:

1. Planned obsolescence, meaning Honda specifies their oil and filter change intervals to decrease the useful life of your vehicle, and more frequent oil and oil filter changes would prevent this.

2. Peace of mind and/or it's cheap insurance, meaning it's cheap, so why not change the filter at every oil change?

3. You're contaminating the new oil with the old oil in the filter, making it break down faster

I figured I'd post this here to see whether you've heard more outlandish reasons (if you agree with me on following the Honda-spec'd OFI) or have an argument against running a good, quality oil filter out to what Honda specifies.

They discussed properly reading the oil level and whether over-under adding is bad, as well (this was actually the reason for the thread.)

Honda Civic Oil Thread

I think #1 is [censored] as stated. Now Honda may figure the car will last (guess) 125K miles with changing the filter every other oil change and that is the average useful life of a Civic.

Honda certainly has the resources to evaluate test vehicles with a filter every oil change and every other and see if the every other change filters are close to being filled and is there a difference in UOAs. I would think they have done this testing, but who knows.

I am not sure that the oil left in the filter matters that much. Its common for boat engines to have the oil sucked through the dipstick and leave a QT in the pan.

Say,for instance,if you`re using a 10,000 mile filter,and you do two 5000 mile oci`s on said filter,would that be a good course of action?

Dude your running an XG!!! Dont worry about it. It is true that removing more used oil will extend oil life but its not that big a deal unless your doing 15k drains and then your gonna change the filter anyway. Not to mention your engine is going to hold a qt in the oil galley anyway.

Hey if they want to change the oil and filter every 3k.....let em. But your a BITOGer and your more educated..
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

2. Peace of mind and/or it's cheap insurance, meaning it's cheap, so why not change the filter at every oil change?
Honda Civic Oil Thread

Precisely why i change my filter every time. However i do scale the filter down to when i expect to change the oil.

I think there is little chance you will change any minds over there. Invite a them over hear and perhaps a few will come around.

I change mine every time now, but I'm certain you are doing no harm your way either. Honda wouldn't say you could run it twice if it was going to hurt anything.

Frankly I just change them because thats what I've always done.

a) Honda has the data necessary to make the recommendations that they do.

b) Not cost related, but resource-related. Why waste resources when you don't have to?

Having a decent oil discussion on Jeep forum is about as bad. We've got guys on there changing full syn (and filter) every 2,500 miles. And just try to tell them otherwise...
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Dude your running an XG!!! Dont worry about it. It is true that removing more used oil will extend oil life but its not that big a deal unless your doing 15k drains and then your gonna change the filter anyway. Not to mention your engine is going to hold a qt in the oil galley anyway.

Hey if they want to change the oil and filter every 3k.....let em. But your(sic) a BITOGer and your(sic) more educated..
thumbsup2.gif

That is to say, you're a BITOGer and you're more educated!

1) Watch out, we got a [censored] over here!
2)
27.gif

3) I would go with the Planned obsolescence argument, but if the filters not going into bypass and new filters are less efficient then slightly used ones, the amout of wear would be minimal?

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back