Not all engine oils are created equal

Is that what Warren distribution does, they buy the base oils from Exxon Mobil, and they also buy the add pack from them as well? And basically sell it? Or they have their own add pack?
I would imagine ExxonMobil has their own add pack for each oil..

Is that what Warren distribution does, they buy the base oils from Exxon Mobil, and they also buy the add pack from them as well? And basically sell it? Or they have their own add pack?
I would imagine ExxonMobil has their own add pack for each oil..
Valvoline does that.

How else are you going to control operating conditions for two separate vehicles? While it would be nice if they did a fleet test, there are too many variables. Doing simulated daily driving on a dyno is as controlled as you are going to get with the oil being the only variable.
Easy enough to get close with two delivery trucks or two commuter cars or two similar type vehicles. A friend has almost 400 k miles on a tahoe he drives 70 miles a day to work five days a week. That and grocery runs. But one 3 month test 10 years ago or ten months ago or ten weeks ago is the same use.

A commuter car gets most of its use doing things the same over and over.
When i was in college my van drove twice a week 100 miles one way and back forth every week. If you want to test something that makes it pretty easy

Easy enough to get close with two delivery trucks or two commuter cars or two similar type vehicles. A friend has almost 400 k miles on a tahoe he drives 70 miles a day to work five days a week. That and grocery runs. But one 3 month test 10 years ago or ten months ago or ten weeks ago is the same use.

A commuter car gets most of its use doing things the same over and over.
When i was in college my van drove twice a week 100 miles one way and back forth every week. If you want to test something that makes it pretty easy
It's not about getting "close". You can't control for conditions and both vehicles would have to have absolutely identical drive cycles in order to be able to make the type of comparison they are doing here using a dyno.

As I noted, fleet testing (more like what you are describing) has significant value in determining real-world performance outside of a controlled environment. If you are trying to isolate certain things however, that scheme does not facilitate this, which is why one goes with these sorts of controlled testing regimens instead. BOTH have considerable value, it just depends on what you are looking for; what kind of data you are trying to gather.

Great video. Even if it's sponsored, it wasn't overboard with the marketing and it provided some nice information on a few API/ILSAC testing protocols.

I don't understand why some people here act like a company isn't allowed to market their product. Or if they do, that it's all BS for the sole reason that it's marketing (especially when it's one of the mainstream oil brands). Marketing CAN have truth and good information in it and companies are allowed to market their product. Some people need to chill out and stop taking marketing as a personal insult.
Heh, maybe some people need to chill out and stop lying like they require it to process oxygen. Most marketing is nothing more than creative lying.

I think at its most basic sense, this comes down to how tolerable you are of lies and manipulation. I'm real close to intolerable. Most are somewhere in the middle. And some are on the ... um, other side.

I knew they didn't have their own refineries, but I didn't know, they didn't have their own additive so to speak

You have to ask yourself how important is it to have your own facilities. Granted, there is an advantage in doing so because that puts you in the position to sell to others thus creating a side income stream.

But is it important that a oil company makes their own base and add packs. Ask Redline, Royal Purple, and many others.

You have to ask yourself how important is it to have your own facilities. Granted, there is an advantage in doing so because that puts you in the position to sell to others thus creating a side income stream.

But is it important that a oil company makes their own base and add packs. Ask Redline, Royal Purple, and many others.
So what companies make their own base and add packs? I would guess the top 4 Mobil, Shell/Pennzoil, Phillips, Castrol/BP

So what companies make their own base and add packs? I would guess the top 4 Mobil, Shell/Pennzoil, Phillips, Castrol/BP
Castrol/BP has to buy PAO from either XOM, CP or one of the other manufacturers that produces it. Same with Shell if they are using it in an oil. Similarly, since nobody else has GTL, they buy it from Shell.

XOM and SOPUS co-own Infineum, so it's obvious that's where their additive packages come from. Chevron owns Oronite, not sure about BP, but I remember them having a relationship or even ownership stake in something.

Everyone else buys from Lubrizol, Afton...etc.

Castrol/BP has to buy PAO from either XOM, CP or one of the other manufacturers that produces it. Same with Shell if they are using it in an oil. Similarly, since nobody else has GTL, they buy it from Shell.

XOM and SOPUS co-own Infineum, so it's obvious that's where their additive packages come from. Chevron owns Oronite, not sure about BP, but I remember them having a relationship or even ownership stake in something.

Thank you so much..

Heh, maybe some people need to chill out and stop lying like they require it to process oxygen. Most marketing is nothing more than creative lying.

I think at its most basic sense, this comes down to how tolerable you are of lies and manipulation. I'm real close to intolerable. Most are somewhere in the middle. And some are on the ... um, other side.

I'm guessing you don't happen to run a business, do you? If you do, I'd be interested in hearing how you grow your market share. "Marketing" is how you reach potential customers and keep existing customers. There are many different ways to market what you have to offer. Some people are just a lot more cynical than others and overcompensate by saying they won't buy from a company that engages in marketing, missing out on great products that could really help them out. How would any company be able to let prospective customers and existing customers know what they have to offer?

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of these relationships.

I'm guessing you don't happen to run a business, do you? If you do, I'd be interested in hearing how you grow your market share. "Marketing" is how you reach potential customers and keep existing customers. There are many different ways to market what you have to offer. Some people are just a lot more cynical than others and overcompensate by saying they won't buy from a company that engages in marketing, missing out on great products that could really help them out. How would any company be able to let prospective customers and existing customers know what they have to offer?
Yup, and I'd much rather a company show a tour of their lab, testing equipment, and tear-downs, then mentioning their own testing limits when compared to the industry standards, then see some yahoo at a car show with a Falex machine trying to show how "awesome" Royal Purple is.

Yup, and I'd much rather a company show a tour of their lab, testing equipment, and tear-downs, then mentioning their own testing limits when compared to the industry standards, then see some yahoo at a car show with a Falex machine trying to show how "awesome" Royal Purple is.
Now I see why you prefer Mobil 1

... And some are on the ... um, other side.

:poop:

Back