NorthStar AGM battery charging and sulfation woes with Optima® Digital 1200 Battery Charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voltage is electrical pressure.

A 12.8v battery hooked to a charging source, which only seeks 12.8volts, there will be no current flow. No amps will flow from charging source to battery as there is NO difference in electrical pressure between source( charger) and load( battery).

The charging source needs to raise the pressure in order for amperage to flow from the charger to the battery.
The higher the difference in pressure between the source/ charger, and load/ battery, the more amperage will flow.

a 25 amp charger has 25 amps potential current to flow from itself, into the battery.

The battery itself determines how much amperage flows into it from a charging source, at the pressure/voltage reaching its battery terminals. A healthy depleted battery can accept a LOT of amperage, when the chrging source is seeking high pressure. much less amperage flows when it is seeking lower pressure.

An unhealthy depleted battery cannot accept nearly as much amperage as a healthy de[pleted battery can at either high or low charging pressures.
A healthy battery at high states of charge will not accept as much amperage as an unhealthy battery will at float or absorption voltage, but unless the battery has a shorted cell, this difference will be about 0.5 amps more at 13.6v and perhaps as much as 1.5 amps at 14.5v

Charging an android phone places about a 1 amp extra load on teh alternator.

Don't charge your smart phone, it will kill your alternator!!!!!.

The whole 'old weak battery killed my alternator claim', one reads over and over, here, and everywhere, is much more likely that the failing alternator killed the old end of life battery by not charging it properly for a long while. Then the battery was replaced first, then it became obvious the alternator was the cause of the failed battery. Chicken or the egg. It is the chicken, not the egg, most likely as 1 extra amp required to feed an unhealthy battery at higher states of charge, is not going to fry an alternator. The healthy battery that can drink up 55 amps for a half hour before tapering, is going to stress teh alternator far more than the unhealthy battery which can only accept 35 amps for 10 minutes before tapering.

large banks of deeply cycled TPPL Agms are known to fry an alternator that was perfectly fine charging the same amp hour bank of flooded, as healthy TPPL agms are so thirsty when well depleted, and will max out an alternator, overheasting the stator, frying the varnish on the windings, shorting them out

A 40 amp power supply set to 14.7v, and hooked to an ~ 50% depleted battery which measures 12.2v, open circuit voltage(OCV) is likely going to instantly provide 40 amps, and then the voltage. measured at the battery terminals will climb from 12.2v towards the maximum setpoint the 'smart' charger allows, which is anywhere in the 14.2 to 14.9 vollt range, depending on teh charger, and potentially its temperature too.

The adjustable voltage power supply, one chooses the maximum voltage, and just lets the battery feed on as much amperage as it wants.

When well depleted the 40 amp charger will provide 40 amps until the battery raises to the maximum allowed voltage, in my case I choose 14.7v. Other chargers will have decided that 14.4 is fine and dandy, andother one will say agms need more voltage, and choose 14.8v as their maximum.

A 14.8v maximum charger, will have those 40 amps flow for longer, than will the 14.4v charger.

Once the battery has reached 14.4 to 14.8 volts, then the amperage required to maintain this voltage tapers. The longer this voltage is held, as the battery charges, the less amperage is required to maintain that voltage.

A higher maximum voltage, will charge the battery faster. It will allow the battery to feed on the charging sources maximum output for a bit longer, before amperage tapering begins.

This does not mean, that a 14.4v cannot ever fully charge a healthy battery, it means the 14.4v will simply take longer to fully charge it.
Old sulfated batteries might indeed require higher voltages tpo overcome the batterys resistance ind indeed reach true full charge.

By and large the whole ' agms need higher voltage to fully charge' one reads over and over is BS.
What a deeply cycled AGM needs is for it to be hooked not to a 4 amp charger which will take ~ 12 hours before it can raise that voltage to 14.6v, it much prefers that a 25 amp or even higher amperage charging source can get the battery to 14.6v in less than an hour.

This higher amperage flow forces the migration of electrolyte through the glass matting and into the plates better than the traditional low and slow 'trickle charge it for days thing, that one reads so much about, concerning flooded batteries.

By and large, in my opinion, the ultimate maximum voltage the charger allows, does not matter all that much, as long as the charging source is actually going to hold that maximum voltage for long enough for the battery to drink all it wants for as long as it needs to become truly fully charged.

A 25 amp charging source with a higher maximum allowed voltage of 14.8v, will be able to get a discharged battery to higher state of charge, faster than a 25 amp charger which will not bring teh battery above 14.4v.
If the charger is going to quit early, as most do, then the higher voltage means the battery is likely at a higher state of charge when the charger says enough absorption voltage for you.

AGMS like the high amp recharge. They can( especially TPPL agms) have significantly less resistance than a flooded battery, and they can recharge faster from below 85% state of charge, to 85% state of charge faster than a flooded battery. From 85% to 100%, they can charge slightly faster.
When a flooded battery gets charged to teh 14.2v range on its way to 14.6v,, or 14.8v it starts gassing bubbling. electrolysis. The higher the state of charge it gets, the more if bubbles and offgasses and basically this is using water. Often the flooded battery voltage will be recommended to be lower, simply to reduce the amount of water usage.

AGMS will basically not use any water, unless overcharged, and they will likely only offgas a tiny fraction the amount of a flooded battery, if they not only are overcharged, but got really hot on their way from undercharged to overcharged. Mostly the gasses recombine within the cells unless they get too hot and create too much pressure and the relief valves open and let some escape.

In my opinion the AGMS 'need higher voltage' claim is merely because they are unlikely to ever offgass, and a higher voltage will charger them to a higher state of charge when teh charging source is actually on, and the higher the average state of charge, without going to overcharge, the better.

Lifeline AGM states 14.2 to 14.4v absorption voltage, and their conditioning charge voltage is 15.5v, to be applied only after significant time was spent at 14.2 to 14.4. Lifeline says float at 13.2 to 13.4 at 77f.

Here are some secs from memory, and in the last 10 years some of these manufacturer recommendations have changed slightly as they are likely double guessing what/ how the batteries will be used, and recharged, and what recommended values will likely yield the least warranty return rate, therefore, max profit

Deka intimidator AGM says 14.1 to 14.4v absorption, and 14.6 is the 'equalization voltage' and float is 13.2 to 13.5v, at 77f
Trojan flooded deep cycle says absorption voltage should be 12.82v , and float 13.3v at 77f, and equaization at 16.2v.
Northstar AGM says absorption voltage should be 14.4 to 14.8v, and float at 13.6v
Odyssey I believe says 14.7vABS and 13.6v float, @ 77f

Don't get hung up on absorption voltage, when one is not trying to race the clock, a lower than spec'd absorption voltage on a healthy battery just will have it take 7.2 hours instead of 6.8 to get truly fully charged.

The specs above show that there is huge overlap on manufacturer recommended charging voltages for both flooded AND AGM, so Ignore those who shout this needs that and those need this so sayith the manual which cameth with my alpha smart charger.

If a person really wants to be a voltage stickler, then by all means, goto the manufacturer's recommendations, but dont freak out if the charger does not match absorption voltage exactly, and if float voltage is not within spec, well just don't float the battery for more than a day or 2.

Northstar Says 14.4 to 14.8v absorption. I generally choose 14.7 @ 77f and give it a bit more when cool out, and take some off when it is hot, or I expect significant battery heating from high amp recharging from a low state of charge.

Also, An alternator can and will certainly fully charge a battery, even a well depleted one, but it is not going to defy the 6.5 hours minimum from 50% charge to 100% charged. It will only do the 50 to 100% thing, if it is seeking and then holding an absorption voltage in the 14.4 to 14.8v range. Before teh whole MPG/ regulation became a thing, the voltage regulator would likely allow 14.4 for a few minutes after engine start then lower to 13.6 ish volts. If the battery is well depleted to around 50% , it will take 6.5 hours to fully charge it at 14.4v, but at a lower pressure of 13.6v, it might take 15 or 20 hours.

The danger to an alternator is heat. A well depleted battery can easily max out the alternator, and if idling parked it will be bathed in radiator heat. and generating tons of its own heat, especially if its voltage regulator is commanding 14.4v the entire time.

My Northstar, depleted to about 75% state of charge, if put on my 40 amp power supply set to 13.6v, after about 10 minutes the 40 amps will taper to about 6 amps. At this point if I crank the voltage/pressure from 13.6 ,to 14.8v, the battery is feeding on 26 to 32 amps. same thing with my alternators, but they have 120 amps available with 2000+ engine rpm. I've modified my charging system with adjustable external voltage regulators and I manually control voltage with a dial on my dashboard. So I am very used to spinniing the pressure dial and watching the amperage increase or decrease with the different pressure I command.

Float voltage is more important, if the battery is to be floated long term. Too low a float voltage is to be avoided, as it will allow the battery to slowly and slightly discharge and sulfate, albeit slowly, too high a float will ( eventually) overcharge and cause positive plate degradation.

The Odyssey engineer could not shout this loud enough, do not float a Odyssey long term, unless the float voltage is 13.6 at 77f and is adjusted higher for cold temps and lower for higher temps. And I have certainly experienced this with my Northstars. if I do not adjust that 13.6v higher at 40 degrees for 12+ hours then the battery obviously is not full anymore, but I am usually running other loads making this issue worse than would a slight parasitic draw of modern vehicle.

AGMS are not a panacea, they have their advantages, they(especially TPPL Agms), can vastly outperform their flooded brethern, but they are likely less tolerant of improper charging than their much flooded brethern. Their sulfation forms easier and faster when chronically undercharged and takes more effort to redissolve if the battery owner happens to notice performance loss and tried to correct it.

But usually, this comes far to late and a regular smart charger has far too little to correct it.

To everyday Joe driver, who only uses their battery for engine starting, the ONLY advantages to AGM are no offgassing, nearly eliminating the usual battery terminal corrosion, and the AGM is likely to maintain higher CCA when the parasitic load has drained either flooded or AGm to the same level of depletion. The 35% charged AGM will likely still easily start the engine, the 35% charged flooded battery, all other factors being equal, will likely struggle. When super cold, the same thing, the AGM will likely stand a better chance of starting at the same depleted level at same temperature as the flooded.

AGMS do have lower self discharge, but in modern vehicles with significant parasitic loads, the lower self discharge might not make any difference.
Also note that the least $$ AGMS do not really have much better self discharge than than flooded batts, nor is their CCA much if any higher, and if they are rated in amp hours( actualenergy storage capacity), the flooded battery might have 5% more am hours even though it is lighter.

The TPPL agm can take as much amperage as most any charging source can deliver. They can be charger from below 85% state of charge, to 85 % state of charge very quickly, if that high amp charging source is seeking( and holding) 14.7v. but agm charge only marginally faster than flooded, from 85% to 100%, and 80% to 100% is pretty much never less than 3.5 hours and only that low when the battery is still new and healthy.

The AGM charged only to 97% and kept at an average 94% state of charge, compared to the same exact size flooded battery kept 97% averaging 94%, will likely lose capacity faster than the flooded. If both are put on a charging source capable of holding 14.7v plus for a good while, the flooded battery likely has a better chance of having come capacity and Cranking amps returned.

Overall unless one absolutely needs a no offgassing battery and it is life or death cold outside with a long sitting unused vehicle The AGM is a waste of money. They can spin the starter faster, when new and healthy, but that 'wow' factor might disappear in a month or 3, if the battery is not kept healthy with lung expanding regular true full charges.

I use northstars, as I deep cycle regularly, and often only have a limited distance to drive to recharge as much as possible in as short a time as possible, or a minimum time to plug in and use a high amperage adjustable voltage power supply set to 14.7 or 14.8v. These TPPL agms laugh off huge charging currents and pretty much require them when they are deep cycled.

I've also noted that my Northstars would NOT hold their 13.06 full charge resting voltages, when new, no matter how long I held absrption voltage, until I deep cycled them, then high amp recharged them until amps tapered to low levels. All new batteries behave a bit weirdly that first charging. I've noticed their amps do not really taper as low as expected, until they are cycled then recharged. I've noticed the scary fast engine cranking of my Northstars did not happen until after I cycled it and high amp recharged it to full.

I think slapping a TPPL agm into a vehicle that is never going to cycle it deeper , will neuter its potential ability, and perhaps lifespan too..

@wrcsixeight,​

Once again your long cogent explanation appears to be born out in my actual life experience with my actual experience with my NorthStar AGM in my truck which I leave outside. I bought AGMs for all of the reasons you mention above. They appeared to be both the ideal battery for my lifestyle and my climate. Cost was not a factor because, if they worked, they would save me the time and trouble of having to change my battery every two years. Also, my new truck, because of Stop/Start, *required* AGM batteries. I had been influenced by the hype and I assumed they were better in *every* imaginable way. I had learned from previous experience that my pattern of not-driving my truck during the winter was particularly hard on batteries and I figured that "tougher" batteries would help with this. When I learned that the military had switched entirely to AGMs, that was enough to push me over the edge. And, by buying my NorthStar battery at Batteries Plus Bulbs I automatically got the warranty extended to five-year free replacement, which made it a slam-dunk. If I could go five years without worrying about my battery that would be fantastic.

Unfortunately things have turned out to be far from fantastic. I have had to spend many hours working on my batteries to keep them at their best. I'm retired so I am driving far less than I expected, particularly during the winter. And my formerly "brand new" AGMs are starting to show signs of wear. (I figured they would act "brand new" much longer.) I've also had to learn far more about batteries and battery-health than I ever wanted to know.

The good news is that, even if I didn't treat this battery ideally, Batteries Plus Bulbs will give me two more free during the five-year warranty period. (I read the fine print.) I can start again and try to do a better job with it. I'm going to have to do some serious stress-testing and measurements of the battery; but, if it turns out it really is showing signs of wear, they will give me a new one. And, there really is no argument to make that the AGMs will perform *worse* than the FLAs they replaced. (Other than they cost more.)

I like the way you phrase many of your arguments. Yes, everyone is looking for the magical smart charger with the single-button desulfator. Yes, everyone is looking for the magical battery which requires no care. But, also as you point out, such products would defy the laws of physics.

I also appreciated your explanation of how the charge gets from the charger into the battery. It seems simple and obvious when you already understand it, but I had never thought of it that way before.

I am also relieved to learn that my new 25 amp charger probably really will be better for my purposes than was my 10 amp charger, even though I don't run a commercial garage. The 25 amp charger has a better capability of breaking up the sulfates than does the weaker charger. (I realize it isn't anywhere near that simple.)

The more I read the better that idea of an eBook on how batteries work sounds!

Frankly I'd be surprised it your battery tested bad enough on Battery+'s tester, whichever product they use, being carbon pile load tester or impedence tester, likely both, to actually replace the battery.

That drok 5 digit voltmeter I linked, if you put that or something similar( sampling voltage at least 4 times per second) on your battery and crank the overnight cold engine, and voltage stays above 11, if you then try and warranty that battery just because your charger never says it goes above 75%, you won't get it, you'll just waste your own time.
They likely would not warranty it unless your voltmeter was only showing mid to high 8's or less during overnight cold starts, and then no doubt their carbon pile load tester and impedence tester would also agree that the battery is weak.

But weak enough to give you a brand new one.....?

Also dont bring it to them to test and try and warranty if it is not fully charged or nearly so, they will say we have to charge it first, and a battery hot off the charger will read much higher than it would otherwise, and perform better on the carbon pile tester, making it less likely they throw you a new one.

If you wired that voltmeter so you could see it when driving, you could see the likely wacky MPG style of voltage regulation of your vehicle that intentionally keeps it around 80% charged.

Also keep in mind there is no way a 5 year old battery is going to be as healthy and test as well as it did on day one, even if it were never used and floated at the perfect temperature compensated voltage for 5 years. Some degree of performance loss is to be expected, and what they determine to be acceptable performance loss, given the battery age, is where they might pull on the latex glove for your 5 fingered prostate exam.

A 5 year warranty is basically there to cover an honest owner for potential defects of the battery, it does not mean the battery is supposed to test new at 5 years no matter how it is treated.

There are far too many people who have zero integrity, who would go 4 years 11 months and 28 days, then try and kill the battery, and then take it back, stomp their foot, and demand a new one for free.

If your Northstar is degraded, it is not because it was not made well, it is because your vehicle likely intentionally keeps it at ~ 80% state of charge and it is now partially sulfated.

if this is the case, the only hope you have to desulfate and potentially regain some unknown percentage of capacity and cranking amps, is by the deep cycle/ 'high' 25 amp recharge and then click the 4 hour 'repair/recondition mode' of your charger, and perhaps more than once.

And Then your '75% charger' might possibly go higher than 75, who knows.
If you had the voltmeter on the battery terminals, and did the overnight cold start, record minimum voltage, then the deep cycle high amp recharge, then watch the voltmeter again on teh same temperture overnight cold start, I'd be surprised if there was not a noticeable improvement, meaning it was able to maintiain higher voltage powering the same load at the same temperature.

If the stop start system only works with a brand new super high CCA TPPL AGM battery, then there is likely an issue with the stop start system or the cables/ battery post clamps to the battery or the main engine ground from battery. My father has had several stop start vehicles with basic AGMS and none had issues even with their mpg inspired voltage regulation algorithms. I'd often bust out my power supply just to see how much amperage the stop start AGM would acceptm adn for how long and pretty much every time the battery from a freshly and daily driven vehicle, took 12 to 18 amp hours before amps tapered to 0.35 at 14.7v indicating close or indeed truly fully charged. This took no less than 8 hours. It took 12 hours for this battery to reach a true full charge accepting 18 amp hours. Ill guess it was a 70 amp hour capacity. it had no Ah rating on it. but did say 860 CCA.

In deep cycle service, most experienced Boaters, know well that dedicated deep cycle flooded batteries are a much better value. They will last more total deep cycles and handle abuse/chronic undercharging far better than AGMS, and if unintentionally drained dead and left to sit, they stand a far better chance of being able to be recharged to a fairly good portion of their original capacity, especially if the owner has the tools and ability, aptitude and tools to perform an equalization charge on them. AGMs other than Lifeline can't be equalized, or at least their manufacturers say not to.

Dekas Intimidator's 14.6v 'equalization' voltage does not qualify as a real equalization charge, which are 15.5 to 16.2 volts for a flooded battery.

AGMs for deep cycle applications are the call when one cannot be bothered to check the water levels of the battery, or the batteries need to be in an area where offgasses could be dangerous or corrosive or both. They are also the call when keeping up wth the Jones' and bragging rights are a consideration.

The high amperage acceptance ability of AGMS is often not even a factor, as if there are many batteries in parallel for a lot of total battery capacity, as is common on boats, and each battery wants no less than 20 amps, and preferably 40 from its most depleted state, well it becomes very difficult to have a charging source which can deliver this much amperage. Large banks of TPPL agms often suffer short lifespans on boats in deep cycle service, because they never even come close to getting charged at no less than 40 amps per 100Ah of capacity. Two deeply cycled group 31s need 80 amps initial charge current. Even an alternator rated at 120 amps is likely going to overheat making 80 amps for an hour in a stuffy engine compartment on a boat.

To get good life from AGMS in deep cycle duty, they not only need at least 20 amps charging current per 100 amp hours of capacity, and every 5 to 7 deep cycles they need a true full charge, and after this many cycles without having gotten to full, they can take 12 to 15 hours, and then perhaps a day or 5 at float before they are truly full and can then perform almost as good as they did before being deep cycled for 5 to 7 days.

I spent the obscene amount for Northstar, as I can't easily water the battery, and I do not trust a flooded marine battery to be happy accepting the amount of charging current I can deliver. I need fast as possible recharge times. and both Northstars I have owned easily accept over 100 amps when well depleted from my alternators, and I can get them to 85% charged quickly. But that last 15% always takes hours longer.

I dont need a Northstar for its huge starter cranking amp ability, nor the super low self discharge, and gassing/ potential terminal corrosion is not something I absolutely have to avoid. I require it because of its high amp/ fast recharge ability, and indeed it not only can do this well, it needs it. Not the 100+ amps I can throw at it when well depleted, but at least 40, but it seems to laugh at charge currents which would overheat and warp the plates of a flooded marine battery, and just says 'more please'

If I were Not deep cycling, nor needing that high amp recharge as fast as possible, there is NO WAY I would have a Northstar or Odyssey TPPL agm. Not even if I lived in the great white north in winter. Even if I the vehicle required an AGM, I'd not spend the extra for a TPPL AGM.

My 4 Deka intimidator GC-2 6v agms, well they were 3.75 years old on my friend's boat and unknown condition. H ehad room for, and wanted new 8 Lifeline GPL-4cts, ( same size as GC-2) with new 2/0 cabling with proper cable terminations, instead of what was already on teh boat( hammer crimps, untinned wire and terminals) I was unsure the condition of the Dekas, but I did notice they were able to hold 12.4v powering a 60 amp load for about 30 minutes so I said I'd pay for heir core charge, but my friend just said take them.

Once I started cycling them I could gauge their capacity and performance better. A pair of these Deka GC-2 intimidators ( relabelled by west marine and their price doubled) in series, for 12v and 190 ah of capacity, weighs 140 lbs, vs the 74 lbs of the 12v Northstar group 31 103 amp hour 1150 CCA.

The Northstar can maintain higher voltage starting my engine, but neither struggle in this task. The Northstar also maintains higher voltage at slower discharge rates, until it is about 67 amp hours from full, then the larger capacity of the two Dekas in series( 190 amp hours) becomes apparent.

The free Dekas have taken a lot of the easier Workloads from the Northstar, but if I just use the NS for engine starting and never cycle an high amprecharge it, it gets lazy. So I will cycle it deeply even when I don't really need to, when I know I can then feed it no less than 40 amps and have at least 6.5 hours to seek then hold it at 14.7 volts.

Heck I try and make sure the Free Dekas get a high amp recharge to full somewhat regularly from a well depleted state, and recharged to full as often as possible too. They have a 5/2017 build date. They seem to be performing well enough, but I cant compare their performance to when they were new.

Best of luck with your Northstars.
Remember they re a thoroughbred, they don't want to just sit in their stall all day and never exercise.
They need to occasionally gallop, work up a sweat, show off, look arrogant, and then be fed as much as they want, as fast as they want until they can eat no more.

Pure engine starting duty is like locking them in their stall 24/7, and tossing in some nutritionless food scraps every other day then walking them once around the barn, then locking them back inside.

The automotive industry switched to AGM batteries for their vehicles because, based on their research, AGM batteries have a longer service life under partial state of charge (PSOC) conditions, compared to a conventional flooded battery. And they have a higher rate of charge acceptance. A less expensive alternative to the AGM battery that is also being used as original equipment is the Enhanced Flooded Battery.

While AGM batteries have handled the demands created by modern automobiles, new research shows EFB technology actually surpasses AGM offerings in critical areas such as battery life and heat tolerance, to name a few. In addition, EFB technology is more affordable than AGM.

EFB might be new to the United States, but the technology has been used in the European market since 2008. Since the U.S. automotive industry typically follows its European counterparts by approximately ten years, the time for EFB to shine is now.

European automobile manufacturers relied heavily on AGM solutions to power start-stop vehicles until 2008, when a shift began to take place, resulting in what is now an even division between AGM and EFB. At this point, approximately half of all vehicles in Europe use AGM batteries and half use EFB, but EFB is taking the market lead.

A study, commissioned by Stryten Manufacturing and conducted by an independent third-party research company and battery testing lab, tested the performance of EFB technology in comparison to AGM batteries and came up with some surprising results.

In many areas, EFB matched the performance of AGM, which challenges the long-held belief in the United States that AGM is a better option. In addition, EFB outperformed AGM in several other areas including battery life, heat tolerance and mid-depth cycling resilience.

Evidence provided by more than a decade of use in Europe as well as the latest U.S. study indicates EFB is just as good as AGM in terms of automotive battery performance. In most cases, EFB is even better than AGM.

While AGM is still the battery of choice for powering deep cycle needs, which is a niche use of automotive batteries, EFB will provide a better experience for the majority of consumers. It may be too soon to tell which technology will win the U.S. automotive battery battle, but one thing is for sure: EFB is truly a game changer.

Last edited:
I've used this Optima® Digital 1200 Battery Charger for a few years and it has always seemed to work well. I did run a 4-hour "Repair Cycle" on the battery with the NOCO® Genius® PRO 25 (I just bought this charger.) and it completed "successfully." I guess I am going to have to start monitoring some technical internal aspects of the battery itself, but I am not all that technical. I do have a Foxwell BT-715 Battery Analyzer which I will have to learn how to use. I have no doubt that the battery is now "charged," the question is whether it is also desulfated? The Optima® Digital 1200 Battery Charger was telling me no and the NOCO® Genius® PRO 25 said yes. They could both be correct, but this is still confusing. Is the Optima® Digital 1200 Battery Charger really not useful? It was a well-rated battery charger. I called Optima® and they said they think the NorthStar battery is at fault.
The NOCO also desulfates, There 3 factors at play:
1) NorthStar (excellent battery)
2) NOCO (proven by a lot of users)
3) Optima Charger (?)

Two of these tell you that the battery is OK only one says not so.
I'd go with the majority!

wrcsixeigh,

You make an *excellent* point regarding my taking the 75% of my Optima 1200 far too seriously, and I appreciate that point. I'm assuming it means the battery is badly sulfated but I need to measure that some other way. Today was my "battery charging" day for the truck. I used only the NOCO charger and it completed the charge in approximately 15 minutes. I assume it did not desulfate the battery; but, at least, the battery does have a charge of as much as it can currently hold.
I have a CTEK3300 and I do a full reconditioning of my battery twice a year, pring & fall it takes over 12 hrs so the NOCO did not desulfate the battery in 15 min. It has the ability to do so though, perhaps one has to set the right mode for it to do it automatically. Does the manual say anything about this?

Exide claims their EFB is superior to AGM for most vehicle uses. (Exide has been reborn as Stryten Manufacturing).

Milton, Georgia, Feb. 25, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Exide Technologies, LLC (exide.com) challenges conventional battery wisdom in the U.S. with the results of an in-depth analysis conducted by an independent third-party research company. This study evaluated the performance of the new Exide Marathon® EFB Battery technology against other battery technologies currently available in the North American replacement market, Standard Flooded and AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat).

The research found that Marathon EFB batteries not only kept pace with AGM batteries, but also exceeded performance in the three most critical areas for automotive battery performance: longer battery life, high heat tolerance and mid-depth cycling resilience.

“EFB has a proven track record in EMEA and is the battery technology of choice for most European car manufacturers for Start-Stop Applications,” said Judd.” In fact, the market share of EFB is larger and is outpacing AGM batteries in Europe due to its high performance, versatility and overall value proposition. We are proud to be the first U.S. battery manufacturer to bring this road-tested, superior EFB battery technology to automotive aftermarket retailers and consumers in North America.”.......The added security of an industry-leading four-year warranty positions Exide’s Marathon EFB as the battery leader in the automotive aftermarket.

Last edited:

SubLGT

That is very interesting. I don't know that much about EFB batteries, although I was aware that they existed. Now everybody is going after the AGMs because they appear to be the current king-of-the-hill. My considerations were slow self-discharge, cold tolerance, and faster charging rates. I would have to see comparisons on these three characteristics. Nevertheless, this does support one of the points wrcsixeight made, which is that AGM batteries are not perfect in every respect. Perhaps my next battery for *some* of my vehicles need not be AGM; EFB would be fine.

Pelican,​

I was not being clear. When the NOCO charger did it's charge cycle, it's 15-minute charge which brought the battery up to full, must *not* have been doing *any* desulfating because of how fast it occurred. Yes, the NOCO *does* have a separate "Repair Mode," which can take up to four hours. In fact, I have that running now as I am typing this response. Unfortunately, the NOCO does not report any numbers which indicate how many amps are going into the battery. My Optima 1200 does report amps going into the battery and I can monitor changes in amps as it goes through various phases of the battery charging cycle. The number one advantage of the Optima 1200 was that it was designed by Clarios specifically for AGM batteries and it *always* desulfates and conditions the battery with every single charge. I was hoping I would run into more people on this forum who owned and used Optima 1200 chargers because they have received very positive reviews. Johnson Controls (now Clarios), who designed the Optima 1200 was also the largest single producer of AGM batteries at the time they designed the Optima 1200 charger, which also made me think it would be the best. My NOCO Genius PRO 25 is a new model and I assume it has more effective algorithms for charging AGM batteries because AGM have become far more common.

wrcsixeight,​

Once again, much to think about! I did take your advice, and I have the battery back on the NOCO Genius PRO 25 4-hour Repair Mode. I'm assuming, because it is a smart charger, one can't run the Repair Mode too many times and harm the battery. As I said above, it is also clear that, which running a normal charging cycle, the NOCO must not do *any* desulfating. If anything is going to bring the NorthStar battery in the truck back, it is going to be some sort of desulfation cycle. I forgot to mention that the Optima 1200 *does* have a gauge on it which reports on both how many Volts DC and how many amps DC, are being sent to the battery at any given time. One can really observe changes in absorption as the battery goes through different phases of being charged. This is why ultimately I would like to be able to get back only to using the Optima 1200 and to have it move beyond 75% to 100%.

I also was imprecise in my language. I didn't necessarily mean they would immediately give me a new battery, what I meant was that I was at no risk of having this battery fail *because* they would give me another battery if it did. I do not want to have it fail because my cabin is 375 miles away and I don't want to have a battery failure on the trip. I thought the AGM batteries would help me to avoid such failures. So far, however, the AGM battery in the truck seems to be acting more like a regular battery than I expected. Nevertheless, I had to have an AGM because of the Stop/Start feature of the vehicle. Meanwhile I am going to do some load-testing on the battery.

....My considerations were slow self-discharge, cold tolerance, and faster charging rates.....
If reduced sulfation of the plates is a consideration, you might want to look at "carbon enhanced" or "graphite enhanced" lead acid batteries. Over the last 15 years, carbon/graphite in lead acid batteries has been an active area of research. Several manufacturers are offering these "enhanced" batteries: Exide, Odyssey and Trojan are the ones I know of, but there are probably more. The Exide Marathon I linked above is a "graphite enhanced" EFB.

The inclusion of supplementary carbon does, however, promote hydrogen evolution and failure due to the loss of water from the electrolyte solution. Current research efforts are directed towards methods by which this disadvantage can be mitigated without losing the benefits that the addition of carbon provides.

SubLGT.​

I'll have to investigate EFB more. I knew they existed but I did not know much about them. I have read extensively regarding AGMs because they are covered more widely. I also own many more of them. (I have sixteen of them at my off-grid cabin.) AGMs appeared to be exactly what I wanted so I jumped like a trout for them. I will follow up with the materials you sent me. Thank you.

I currently have a 16 month old X2Power/Northstar in my Subaru. The previous battery was a carbon enhanced Exide Edge AGM that lasted 8 years. It saw a lot of PSOC operation, as most of my trips are under 20 minutes. I charge the X2Power once a month in the colder months (as I did with the Exide Edge), and every 2 months when it is warmer, using a 20A Pro-Logix for the initial stages. The Pro-Logix terminates the absorption phase a bit too early (at about 1.2 amp, to minimize grid corrosion), so when it switches to 13.x volts I disconnect it, and hook up a 7A CTEK charger, which has a more extended absorption phase. I am more concerned with plate sulfating than grid corrosion.

When it is time to buy a battery again, I will return to a carbon/graphite AGM or EFB battery

Frustration growing.

Any time a battery is discharged, it is sulfated.
The longer these sulfates are allowed to remain and occlude the porous plates of the battery, the harder they become and the more difficult them becom when attempting to redissolve into the electroyte when charging. The result is a battery which cannot store as much energy as it did before sulfation, and one which cannot release its lesser/ compromised amount of stored energy as quickly as it could before the sulfation hardened.

The lower the state of charge, the more sulfate forms on the plates.
The longer this sulfate is left on the plates, the harder it becomes physically, and more difficult to then remove when recharging, requiring longer times at high voltages.

So the best course of action is true and regular full recharges from day one, to fully dissolve the sulfate back into the electrolyte and never allow it to harden and thus become compromised in not only total energy storage capacity( amp hours) but in cranking camps( CCA). The battery will still age and wear out, but it will lose performance and capacity at a much reduced and steady rate, instead of an exponentially increasing rate.

When a modern Vehicle sits, there is a parasitic load on the battery. this varies widely among different vehicles, but the door locks are waiting for the signal to unlock, the engine computer and other computers with are all using a tiny bit of electricity from the battery to save settings and sensor data, radio settings, ect, and many vehicles, in 3 weeks, this parasitic draw is enough to draw down the battery from the ideal 100%, which we know it likely was not when the vehicle was parked, to 50% or perhaps less. This can effectively be considered a deep cycle, and deep cycles are very hard on starting batteries, but significantly harder when the battery was discharged slowly over weeks, and then not truly fully charged. After a 3 week slow discharge to 50%, the battery will take much much longer than 6.5 hours to reach 100%, think 12 or 18 even held at 14.2 volts that entire time. if it does not get fully charged then it just has less capacity, cranking amps and in 3 more weeks it is drawn not just to 50% but even deeper, causing more sulfation to form and allow it to get even physically harder and more unlikely to dissolve during recharging, even an extended recharge at high voltages.

So the battery had three weeks to be discharged by the parasitic load, for the sulfates to grow on the plates, and to become physically harder and more resistant to being redissolved.

Say the battery can still start the engine anyway. If the battery was drawn to 50%, there is No way it can be recharged to its maximum remaining potential capacity in less than 6.5 hours, and that assumes a relatively high amperage charging source, which is also seeking and then holding high absorption voltages that entire time, Which pretty much NO VEHICLE WILL EVER DO, even if driven for 6.5 hours.

And, because it was slowly discharged over 3 weeks, the sulfation is hardened to some degree, and more resistant to being dissolved into teh electolyte. The sulfate blocks the plate pores, reducing the surface area available for the chemical reaction to occur and 'store electricity' Also its ability to release that lesser total amount of stored energy is reduced as well

So the vehicle is driven around the block 3 times then parked and the owner seems to think that was more than enough to charge the battery, not realizing their 50% battery is perhaps now only 55% charged, and it is not 55% charged of its original 100 amp hour capacity, it is 55% charged of its degraded capacity which could be 80% of its 'new' capacity, or less.

The vehicle then Sits for 3 weeks again and the battery then can't start the vehicle, its more sulfated than 3 weeks prior, and those sulfates are even harder, and more resistant to redissolving into the electrolyte. So the owner jump starts it and maybe even uses a plugin battery charger afterwards, whose marketing department has convinced them them it can defy physics, that it has a special pulse current which resonates at the same frequency as the sulfate crystals, magically dissolving them and restoring the battery to 100% of its originial capacity and cranking amps. Like Magic!! it works, look at all the 4 star reviews!!!!

But it does not. It charges the battery enough to continue starting the engine, but in terms of sulfation on the plates, its still there. perhaps slightly reduced, but its still there. Even with that green light glowing away brightly, saying all is well.

So what to do? Keep trying the 'recondition/magic button that is said to magically restore capacity, then perhaps fellate the battery owner afterwards? Sure why not. wait for that green light, and drop trou and wait expectantly for that which will never come.

The best way to dissolve hardened sulfate, is not by pressing magic buttons or reciting the chargers marketing literature to the battery while doing a rain dance on one foot during a full moon, it is to drain the battery intentionally to 50% or less then immediately put on the highest amperage charging source one can find.
The higher amps will cause heating of the plates and sulfate, which stands far better of a chance of dissolving the hardened sulfate than any magical crystal resonating pulses. The lower the battery is intentionally discharged, the longer it can then accept high amperage from a high amperage source, and the more it can heat those sulfates from within, and perhaps, hopefully, dissolve the hardened sulfation, thus restoring some degree of original capacity and cranking amp ability. Flooded batteries the high amps might just blast the sulfates so they break off and fall to the bottom of the battery's cells. This opens up teh pores and surface area and the battery might appear to have been restored regarding CCA, but with AGM there is no shedding to the bottom, the sulfates either dissolve, or they do not.

It is important to also charge the battery until it is truly fully charged, to the point where it cannot accept more than a tiny amount of amperage when held at 14.4 to 14.8 volts.

So say one does this... How do they judge if it was successful in dissolving hardened sulfation? Do they trust the magical marketers charger and hope instead of it saying 75%, it now says 100? perhaps

Will the unfunctioning stop/start function magically start functioning again? perhaps

With the battery be able to hold higher voltage during engine cranking, or on a carbon pile load test? It should, but one needs actual reliaable before and after data for comparison.

Will this battery be able to hold higher voltages for longer when being intentionally discharged to ~ 50% over 6 to 10 hours then high amp recharged.
It likely will.

If one performs this second discharge to 50%, they should again high amp recharge it to truly full again, as if the one deep cycle high amp recharge dissolved some sulfation, perhaps a second one can do a bit more.

I repeat, if you are simply going to keep taking a battery that has 80% of its original capacity/CCA, but is ~ 99% charged, and just keep pressing the magic restore/ recondition button, it is not going to jack diddly for hardened sulfation n matter how persuasive the marketing literature or the 'application engineer' is on the other end of the phone.

The marine guys have done controlled tests with the magical desulfating chargers and the control was a battery simply held at the same voltage for the same timespan and there was no discernable difference.

The ONLY place I've ever read about a magic pulse charger restoring any capacity is on an automotive forum by someone who has no Ability, or tools to actually quantify potential positive results. They will say well it was dead and then after it lived for years more, but there is no proof a Non magic pulse desulfating charger holding the battery a the same voltage for the same time would not have done the same exact thing.

If one discharges a battery intentionally, I recommend collecting some data along the way, not only to gauge battery health and capacity, and have something for future comparison, but to assist learning.

Seeing how much of a load is applied( in amperage), and how long it takes for that load to reduce battery voltage to 12.2ish volts( the 50% charged range), so that they do simple math and can estimate total battery capacity remaining.
I also recommend that one can then count how much amperage the battery accepts when recharging, how long it accepts it for, and how long it takes for amperage at absorption voltage to taper to 0.5a per 100ah of capacity. at which point the battery can be considered fully charged to its potential capacity.

Potential remaining capacity is a far different thing than when the battery was new and healthy capacity.

An aging battery is like a gas tank which keep getting smaller as it ages/ gets aged. It can still be filled up, it's just that when it was new, new it could hold 20 gallons and now can only hold 11. When new it could spit out a gallon of fuel in 5 seconds, (1000CCA) now it takes 9 seconds to deliver a gallon. ( 600CCA).

When new it could power a 5 amp load for 20 hours before voltage fell to 10.5v and is rated at 100 amp hours
When aged/sulfated it can power a 5 amp load for 12 hours before voltage falls to 10.5v, and is capable of delivering only 60 of those original 100 amp hours

When new It could maintain 11.86 volts cranking the overnight cold engine at 32f
When old it can only maintain 8.75 volts cranking the ovrnight cold engine at 32f

When new and placed on a carbon pile load tester, the needle stays in the green after 15 seconds.
When old and placed on teh carbon pile load tester the needle lowers past orange instantly, and falls into the red zone at 15 seconds.

When new and placed on an impedence meter the 1000CCA battery likely reads 1121 CCA
When aged and placed on the impedence tester( at same battery temperature as original test) the 100CCA battery likely reads 776 CCA

Before a high amp recharge from a well depleted state, it could power a 5 amps load for 12 hours, after the high amp recharge from a well depleted state it can power that 5 amp load for 15 hours before voltage drops to 10.5v which is consided 100% discharged.

Before the depletion and high amp recharge, battery voltage was falling to 8.75 volts when cranking an overnight cold 32f engine, afterwards, it holds 9.88v all other factors being equal

Before the intentional significant depletion immediately followed by a high amp recharge, the carbon pile load tester needle was in the red at 15 seconds, afterwards, it is out of the red, into the yellow at 15 seconds.

Before the discharge and high amp recharge the impedence tester claimed it has 872 CCA, after, it says 987.

These are just examples of what one would expect to see if the high amp recharge is effective, actual results depend on just how hardened the sulfate was.

Was it not Einstein who claimed that one definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

Well, perform these same comparative tests using the smart charger's magic restore/recondition function without intentionally depleting the battery first, and see if there is ever any improvement. It in my opinion is extraordinarily unlikely, but I would be very pleased to be wrong.
I think you basically already have, and have seen diddly squat results, the stop start still does not work reliably and the one chaarger claims to never go above 75%,.

But if you were to intentionally discharge to the 50% discharged range and then high amp recharge, I would be surprised if there was not an obvious improvement in the data collected, whichever way one tries to quantify performance, other than by what some smart charger displays.

And if there is improvement with one intentional deep depletion immediately followed by a high amp recharge to truly full, it is likely 2 back to back will yield even more improvement. If it does not then don't bother with 3 attempts.

One can be timid and only intentionally discharge the battery to the 50% range, but taking it down closer to 25% charged will allow high amps to flow for longer and heat the sulfate crystals more and soften and perhaps redissolve them, yielding a better chance in true desulfation of hardened sulfate, a better chance of restoring energy storage potential and the ability to deliver that energy quickly on demand.

One can put their faith in a smart charger's green light and its magical marketing literature if they need to.
I prefer to get good lifespans from my hardworking batteries instead.

My smart chargers were simply more lessons in futility and frustration.
On one flooded Marine battery, where I could use a good temperature compensating hydrometer, after 3 weeeks of cycling it, I noticed significant performance loss powering low loads for longer. Bust out the smart charger and when it said the battery was full, the specific gravity read 1.235 or worse. Deep in the red.
Restart charger, over and over, and over again, and was able to get teh specific gravity to about 1.255, but at that point teh charger would almost instantly shut off after restarting. Have to drain battery with a load to under 12.7v then restart charger to even get it to reseek absorption voltage, but after a while it just says nope, float voltage is all you get.

When I got tired of trying to restart charger over and over with no improvement in specific gravity, I got the adjustable voltage power supply and held the battery at 14.8v, and after about 5 hours Specific gravity on all cells had risen to 1.275 or higher. That night discharging the battery the voltage it held was easily 0.2v higher powering the same loads for the same amount of time.

I stil have that smart charger. I will use it when there is a chance it will grow legs or suffer from humidity charging someone else's in vehicle battery. BUt every time it flashes the green light, I know it is not full, and I bust out the adjustable voltaeg power supply, set it anywhere fro 14.4 to 14.8v, and when the amps taper to low levels, the battery has absorbed anywhere from 7 to 25 more amp hours. requiring nywhere from 45 minutes to 6 hours more charge time after the smart charger flashed it green light.

So whenever I see someone equatee the green light with a full battery I am like "WRONG. the green light only indicates the charger has stopped holding absorption voltage.

But I should just shake my fist at the clouds for all the good it does. People will always imbue the 'smart' charger with abilities and attributes is simply does not have, and there is no arguing against ignorance being blissful.

Another thing, is so called short trip driving being a battery killer.

While short trips do not have the time required to charge a battery fully, it does not take very long at all to return the energy that was used to start the modern fuel injected engine.

I did a test. I charged my battery until it was accepting 1 amp at 14.7v. Then started my engine on this battery.

My voltage regulator controlling my alternator is dialed to 14.7v, and when the chraging amperage flowing into the battery tapers again to 1 amp at 14.7v, the battery is charged to the same level as it was before engine starting.

How long did this take? Well, 65 amps into the battery tapered to 1 amp into the battery at 14.7v in right about 45 seconds.

45 seconds to replace that which the starter used to start My 5.2l TBI v8 engine.

Obviously a 95% charged battery is not going to get charged to 100% in 45 seconds, it will likely take 2+ hours for that, so short trip driving would take forever to bring the 95% battery to full charge, assuming the voltage regulator was seeking mid 14's the entire time.

But engine starting itself is only going to require about 45 seconds to a minute of the alternator holding the battery in the mid 14s to replace that which was used to start the engine.

Now an older carb'd engine which takes several tries cranking 10 seconds each time, is another story, but a modern fuel injected engine would have to be run less than a minute with after each engine start for it to be defecit charging and become the battery killer it is so often claimed to be.

Now what voltage is the voltage regulator commanding after engine starting?

MY voltage regulator kicks on as soon as there is oil pressure, but some vehicles might have a delay before the regulator sends field current to the rotor, turning the alternator ON.

Those interested in this stuff should really have a good voltage meter that samples voltage several times a second, on the battery terminals itself visible from drivers seat. Mine are turned on by the ignition but the Vsense wire goes right to + battery terminal, and the (-) goes to a good ground near the battery, the 500 amp Deltec shunt in my case.

I currently have a 16 month old X2Power/NorthStar in my Subaru. The previous battery was a carbon enhanced Exide Edge AGM that lasted 8 years. It saw a lot of PSOC operation, as most of my trips are under 20 minutes. I charge the X2Power once a month in the colder months (as I did with the Exide Edge), and every 2 months when it is warmer, using a 20A Pro-Logix for the initial stages. The Pro-Logix terminates the absorption phase a bit too early (at about 1.2 amp, to minimize grid corrosion), so when it switches to 13.x volts I disconnect it, and hook up a 7A CTEK charger, which has a more extended absorption phase. I am more concerned with plate sulfating than grid corrosion.

When it is time to buy a battery again, I will return to a carbon/graphite AGM or EFB battery
SubLGT,

The car I have in the garage, which I leave on an Optima 1200 all the time is a Group 35 X2Power/NorthStar. I previously used Clore Automotive Solar Pro-Logix chargers *until* I switched to the Optima 1200 which was designed specifically for AGM batteries. The Optima 1200 seems to be working flawlessly on that battery. I was using a different Optima 1200 on my truck and I do not have the luxury of leaving the charger on all the time because it sits on an alley and items are regularly stolen from the alley. I have had no reason to try the NOCO charger on the Subaru because everything is working well.

The best way to dissolve hardened sulfate, is not by pressing magic buttons or reciting the chargers marketing literature to the battery while doing a rain dance on one foot during a full moon, it is to drain the battery intentionally to 50% or less then immediately put on the highest amperage charging source one can find.

These people use pulses of 500A !

......one of the drawbacks of lead acid batteries is PbSO4 accumulates on the battery plates, which significantly cause deterioration. Therefore, this study discusses the discharge capacity performance evaluation of the industrial lead acid battery. The selective method to improve the discharge capacity is using high current pulses method. This method is performed to restore the capacity of lead acid batteries that use a maximum direct current (DC) of up to 500 A produces instantaneous heat from 27°C to 48°C to dissolve the PbSO4 on the plates. This study uses an 840 Ah, 36 V flooded lead acid batteries for a forklift for the evaluation test. Besides, this paper explores the behavior of critical formation parameters, such as the discharge capacity of the cells. From the experimental results, it can be concluded that the discharge capacity of the flooded lead acid battery can be increase by using high current pulses method. The comparative findings for the overall percentage of discharge capacity of the batteries improved from 68% to 99% after the restoration capacity

wrcsixeight,​

Once again, your long response knocks the ball out of the park. However, I think you are giving me less credit for trying to follow your advice than I deserve. I believe you suggested I try running the "Repair Mode" on my NOCO Genius PRO 25 charger a second time, which I did. I am not expecting any magic from it--and I do appreciate your pointing out how I and many others--have been fooled by the marketing hype of "smart chargers." I have no problems laughing at my own stupidity. However, I have been largely limited by my lack of knowledge and my not knowing how to use the equipment I already own. In the background I have been watching YouTube videos on my Foxwell BT-715 Battery Tester and it should provide me with the CCA of the battery which is one indication of how badly sulfated it is. My Optima 1200 *does* give me the charging DC volts and DC amps, so I can watch them more closely. It's much easier just to push a button to run a "Repair Mode" test for four hours than it is to learn how to use a new piece of equipment and to perform the detailed tests you talk about. Nevertheless, I agree that they are needed, and must, be done. I can go to a battery shop if I need more done than I can figure out how to do myself. They have those $4,000 testers which I do not. I also want to run another test, which I can't do until I go to my cabin. I can drive the truck 400 miles and *then* put it on an Optima 1200 for several days. (I actually own three of them.) I'm even more hopeful that ten hours of driving plus three days of charging might desulfate the battery more than a simple 4-hour "Repair Mode" cycle on the NOCO. I agree with you that this battery is probably still "good," but I would like to restore it to as close to 100% as I can. After all, the Optima 1200 claimed it was 100% only two weeks ago.

...and it should provide me with the CCA of the battery which is one indication of how badly sulfated it is.
Not really. There is a weak and non-linear correlation between CCA and capacity. You have to lose a lot of capacity from sulfating before it affects CCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back