noisier engine with 0w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota says 0w20 is fine for my 2006 1.8l corolla, so I put in M1 0w20 at the last oil change. Car has 170k on it and is in great shape. I notice now that the engine is a little noisier, especially when running errands and I start it while its still hot from the last trip, which makes sense since the oil is hot/thin then. My questions is - is the noise anything to be concerned about? People in the car with me do not hear any difference, but I notice it because I'm attuned to the way it used to sound using 5w30.

Mobil is usually on the thinner side of the grade. Personally I would maybe try a different brand of same weight since it will actually be a Tad thicker than Mobil or get a little thicker oil. I imagine the noise probably doesnt hurt anything ... But I wouldn't like it I would go a hair thicker just me though.

I believe Mobil 0W-20 is slighty thicker than most 0W-20, including PP, Redline and Toyota.

Originally Posted By: Johnoh
I'm attuned to the way it used to sound using 5w30.

I`d go back to this oil.

I'd try a different 0W-20 if you can find it. Heck, you are in Texas, no need for a 0W-20, just go to walmart, pick up some PP 5W-20, and run that. I've heard a lot of people say that their engine sounds noisier on Mobil 1 for some reason. No personal experience with that to comment on.

Toyota says 0w20 is fine for my 2006 1.8l corolla...

Sorry if this has been discussed here, but did this recommendation come from a TSB? And if so, how far back is it spec'd (ie, is it for all 1ZZFE engines, '97-'07)?

Originally Posted By: Capa
I believe Mobil 0W-20 is slighty thicker than most 0W-20...

I thought I've read that here too; it's the reason I'm running M1 over the other few options out there.

After looking at the back-spec sheet for Toyota vehicles, Toyota has my T4R listed for 10w,5w-30 and 5w-20 oils.

If I go to the Mobil 1 website they recommend only 10w-30 and AFE 0w-30 and no 5w-30. Maybe Mobil 1 has to find a way to get rid of all the Mobil 1, 10w-30 in regular and EP....who knows?

On the other hand....Valvoline recommends 5w,10w-30 in High Mileage Synthetic while the Castrol website recommends 5w,10w-30 in Edge.

I guess it all boils down to a personal decision that you have to make based on your own practical experience and preferences with oils by blender and how your engine responds. If you take a look at my sig....I'm running close to a 10w-30 in a blend of Mobil products. As a matter of fact I'm not running any Mobil 1 and my engine is purring like a kitten.

Next winter, I may try a blend of 5w-20 and 0w-30 in Castrol Edge with SPT.

Originally Posted By: Mustang_Cougar
Sorry if this has been discussed here, but did this recommendation come from a TSB? And if so, how far back is it spec'd (ie, is it for all 1ZZFE engines, '97-'07)?
Toyota oil chart

Every vehicle is different and will respond differently with different oils. Castrol Edge was and probably still is considered the quiet oil king. The oil making the engine sound slightly louder doesn't really mean anything. Oftentimes a thicker oil will quiet the said engine. I will be going from Mobil 0W-40 to 0W-20 in my V8 this week and expect to hear a little extra noise.

Well, consider that the spec sheet says it is for Toyota Genuine Motor Oil, for whatever that's worth. Having said that though, I use M1 0W-20 in my 2000 ECHO. And I agree there is a bit more noise than with 0W-30 but it isn't a lot, and I doubt it is doing any harm.

People in the car with me do not hear any difference, but I notice it because I'm attuned to the way it used to sound using 5w30.

What brand of 5w30 were you using?

Toyota oil chart

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
People in the car with me do not hear any difference, but I notice it because I'm attuned to the way it used to sound using 5w30.

Walmart supertech

Originally Posted By: Capa
Every vehicle is different and will respond differently with different oils. Castrol Edge was and probably still is considered the quiet oil king. The oil making the engine sound slightly louder doesn't really mean anything. Oftentimes a thicker oil will quiet the said engine. I will be going from Mobil 0W-40 to 0W-20 in my V8 this week and expect to hear a little extra noise.

True.

My 2000 E430 was very quiet when new and became very noisy at 6-7 year old with M1 0W40, the engine sounds like a diesel truck. I went to PP 5W20 in 2008 and the engine was much quieter, since then I used Valvoline 5W20 and M1 0W20. The last oil change I mixed 5 qt M1 0W20 with 2 qt 0W40.

I had a 2008 Corolla that was back-spec'd to 5w-20. So, I ran Motorcraft 5w-20 in the fall-winter and kept the normal 5w-30 during the summer with 5k miles OCI's. Never had any issues.
I think 0w-20 is too light weight for the amount of heat in Texas during the summer.

Originally Posted By: rossn2
I had a 2008 Corolla that was back-spec'd to 5w-20. So, I ran Motorcraft 5w-20 in the fall-winter and kept the normal 5w-30 during the summer with 5k miles OCI's. Never had any issues.
I think 0w-20 is too light weight for the amount of heat in Texas during the summer.

fwiw, I'm in Michigan for the next several months

Walmart supertech

So you went from Walmart supertech 5w30 to M1 0w20 and you think the engine sounds noisier

Many new users of Mobil 1 claim their engines sound noisier (all weights). Google it, quite common. Thats the way it seemed to me too a couple years ago. But further investigation showed the engine was quieter than ever before. The lack of vvt ticking exposed many other sounds that were formerly drowned out. Like for example a noisy alternator and a rattling PCV valve. So many sounds I had never heard before because of noisy valves.

Suggest you investigate the noises and wait a while for the vvt to adapt to synthetic. Adapt meaning a cleanup of the vvt may happen over a few thousand. If your still unhappy at the end of the OCI try a different brand 0w20.

Many new users of Mobil 1 claim their engines sound noisier (all weights). Google it, quite common.

Good advice. Learned that the way to search the forum is to google "searchstring site:bobistheoilguy.com". The search on the forum here is almost useless.

There is no doubt that the engine is louder with M1. I'll switch to a different 0w20 next time. I want to stick with 0w20 to see if there was any mpg difference between 0w20 and 5w30. Toyota claims that there is.

Toyota 0W20 claim

Toyota says 0w20 is fine for my 2006 1.8l corolla, so I put in M1 0w20 notice now that the engine is a little noisier.

What Toyota really recommends for your car is the Toyota brand 0W-20 so that's the oil you should try.
The oil is unique comparied to most other 20wt oils due to it's ultra high 216 VI and high AW additive levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back