NOACK of ATF vs Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was checking out the specs of Schaeffer's 204S and it mentioned a NOACK D-5800 of 2%. How on earth does this happen??

I figured a 100% PAO/Ester based would be less apt to evaporate. But even the 100% synthetic Schaeffer 5w-30 is up at 9%.

MolaKule, chance you can explain this?

ferb!

There are two methods of measuring volatility loss as shown below.

Volatility % Evaporative Loss @ 700°F (ASTM D-2287)

NOACK Volatility (ASTM D-5800) % Evaporation Loss @ XXX °C

Normally, the ASTM D-5800 is measured at 250 C, but we don't know what the oil temp was for the #204S test.

I do know the 204S has a Viscosity Index of 196, which tells me that their base oils, VII, and other adds are pretty darn stable. One add which will enhance thermal stability is the anti-oxidant additive.

So essentially, the 204S could have been tested at like 100 F and hardly evaporate at all.

I thought the D-5800 specified 250 C. Or is the D-5800 the protocol, and the degree is up to the tester?

ferb!

It's probably a misprint and should have said 12% ....

For example, the Amsoil 100% synthetic ATF has a Noack of about 11%, as I recall. These are typically 0w-20 or 5w-20 fluids - there is no way they'd have an evaporate rate that low, even if they were made entirely from diesters.

Tooslick

Thanks much guys. I'm starting to miss university already, so i'll probably be bombarding the board with my questions.

thanks again.

ferb!

Here's the scoop and the spec IS correct. The testing temperatures are different for different fluids. ATF's are measured at 150 C whereas engine oils are tested at 250 C.

For ATF's, the NOACK Volatility (ASTM D-5800) % Evaporation Loss @ 150 °C (302 F).

For ENGINE OILS,
the NOACK Volatility (ASTM D-5800) % Evaporation Loss @ 250 °C (482 F).

The #204S base oil is severely hydrofinished Group I paraffininc base oil with a superb add pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back