No-Spill coolant funnel

How does a no-spill funnel eliminate air in the system as they claim? Let fluid in and air out but not let air in?

I thought the big problem was air pockets and unsure how this would help?

It also helps to move the highest point in the system to the top of the surface in the funnel. I used mine a couple weeks ago when I changed the lower outlet connection on our 2005 Jeep. It has the T-stat at the bottom hose. It is generally a pita to bleed even with the plug on top of the engine inlet.

Just my $0.02

Works well on my 15 F150 5.0. She isn't the easiest to bleed air out of but the no-spill funnel with the right fitting does this well....at least for this application.

Air bubbles always (try to) go to the highest point and it's normally the fill port on the radiator. They don't necessarily move as quickly as people would like or can get stuck so that's why people end up massaging the radiator hoses to try and force it to move. What these funnels also do is keep MORE air from entering and just prolonging the process.

Vacuum filling is the way to go. Spill free funnels will work on some applications, but the number is dropping by the day. It does remain as a good follow up to vacuum filling though.

+1 The problem is the many temp sensors do not get wet until the system is almost full so there is no way of knowing if the head(s) are starting to cook. Vacuum filling eliminates the initial hot spot issues, I first ran into this on old MB 4 cyl diesels that were almost impossible to bleed without the engine getting hot. Vacuum filling eliminated that royal PITA.
I have been using this one for some years now and it works really well and the price is right.

+1 The problem is the many temp sensors do not get wet until the system is almost full so there is no way of knowing if the head(s) are starting to cook. Vacuum filling eliminates the initial hot spot issues, I first ran into this on old MB 4 cyl diesels that were almost impossible to bleed without the engine getting hot. Vacuum filling eliminated that royal PITA.
I have been using this one for some years now and it works really well and the price is right.

I was going to say… the om60x family keeps an air bubble even with the big funnel attached.

Back