NJ's gas tax increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Friday our gas tax increases from 14.5 cents/gal to 37.5 cents/gal. They say there is no money left to fix the roads. Maybe if they didn't put the gas tax money in the general fund to spend on their pet projects we would have money to do the infrastructure repairs
mad.gif

Whimsey

I heard about that on the radio. Rather sudden, wasn't it? 23 cent increase. A quick look indicates gas prices as low as $1.81; last I looked I was paying $2.30. So no sympathy form me.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
I heard about that on the radio. Rather sudden, wasn't it? 23 cent increase. A quick look indicates gas prices as low as $1.81; last I looked I was paying $2.30. So no sympathy form me.
laugh.gif

Not asking for sympathy, just informing
grin2.gif
I paid $2.01 for reg Shell this morning, and that is low within 40 miles of me.

Whimsey

Gasoline taxes will have to go up everywhere. Its the downside of the fuel economy mandate and the use of electric and hybrid automobiles.

Where has the money gone? The taxpayers in the U.S are mostly gullible fools. In California the idiot taxpayers actually vote to increase their taxes to support the corrupt wasteful government.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Where ahs the money gone? The taxpayers in the U.S are mostly gullible fools.

We've been in perpetual wars since 1941 of different intensity. Look how many trillions we've wasted in the Middle East since 2001 with nothing to show for it.

That's where your money is going.

The Senate still needs to vote on the plan this Thursday.

It's important to note that this plan also proposes a 1% reduction in the NJ sales tax by 2018, starting with a 0.5% decrease in 2017, although omitting mention of decreases in taxes obviously makes for better headlines.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B

We've been in perpetual wars since 1941 of different intensity. Look how many trillions we've wasted in the Middle East since 2001 with nothing to show for it.

The entire operations fund supporting combat this year is 3% of the federal budget.

DOD itself costs 16% of the federal budget. I'm not justifying war, just looking at the simple math to see if tour statement makes any sense.

The preponderance of your taxpayer money is spent elsewhere...so...where has it gone?

About 50% of the Federal budget is payments to people.

Add in the costs of running huge Federal Agencies (like the IRS, which alone costs more every year than combat operations) and there isn't much left over to maintain infrastructure.

If I knew the money would actually fix the roads, instead of being funneled off to politicians' pets pork barrel projects, then I would gladly support an increase in both Federal, and State, gasoline taxes. Taxes that haven't been increased in decades, haven't kept up with inflation, and haven't been able to support building expanded infrastructure because they've been used for other purposes.

What does a state tax have to due with federal spending? Then again Alfred_B posted this statement.

Its all [censored]
Fed Ex and UPS still charge a FST adopted when diesel and gas were over $4
Why? Cause they can!

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
This Friday our gas tax increases from 14.5 cents/gal to 37.5 cents/gal. They say there is no money left to fix the roads. Maybe if they didn't put the gas tax money in the general fund to spend on their pet projects we would have money to do the infrastructure repairs
mad.gif

Whimsey

OK, so if I am going to buy gas in NJ, do it on Thursday, not Friday, correct?
I paid 1.939 in NJ last week:
gas_nj_011.jpg

Where has the money gone? The taxpayers in the U.S are mostly gullible fools. In California the idiot taxpayers actually vote to increase their taxes to support the corrupt wasteful government.

I'm 99% happy to pay my taxes. Believe it or not, running a gigantic country isn't easy or cheap. Most of what the government does is essential for our society to exist. I *do* wish that lawmakers didn't pervert our tax laws with bonus/malus B$ that turns the tax code into a morality code.

Who has NJ been at war with that they need more gas tax revenue?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The Bridge Guy raising the taxes; well he is no longer campaigning!

I'm pretty sure every state gives the job of taxing and spending to the legislature. Not that the governor refused to sign. Just that we the people need to understand how our government works. Otherwise, those who do understand will take over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back