Nitrogen Tire Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I would suggest Helium rather than Hydrogen, its got to be safer and the decrease in weight should end global warming.

Isn't odd that I insist on Group IV oil in my engines and then go ahead and use Group I N2 (dino?) in my tires.

Don

I'm sure Helium is safer, but it will leak out quickly. Helium is about the best gas you can use for finding leaks. I've used it in the past for leak detection equipment. The molecules are very small. It would be interesting to see how fast it leaked out.

the nitrogen they fill it with isnt 100% pure anyway
they use a sort of nitrogen concentrator/compressor
and it removes O2 but its still about 99% Nitrogen.

It might be worth it for a buck or 2 but not 30$ not only no
#@$%! no

Hydrogen is a tiny molecule that is hard to contain. Explosive issue aside, I would expect it to leak out rather quickly.

Put hydrogen in the tires? Sure. While you're at it, just stencil "Hindenburg" across the back of your bumper. That might keep the tailgaters away, as an added benefit.

right 95% pure not sure why I typed 99% up there.

The cost of the machine is expensive but there is no operating cost except electricity right ?

I think its better used as a value adder
as in they do it for free if you buy the tires from them
or something.
or maybe a small fee 30$ is bend me over harsh pricing

Quote:

right 95% pure not sure why I typed 99% up there.

The cost of the machine is expensive but there is no operating cost except electricity right ?

I think its better used as a value adder
as in they do it for free if you buy the tires from them
or something.
or maybe a small fee 30$ is bend me over harsh pricing

Well - there are some systems out there that use actual nitrogen tanks. Just connect a liquid nitrogen tank to the system and get new ones delivered regularly like bottled water. I guess the biggest problem is matching supply with demand. There was a sperm bank next door to where I worked, and they would get all sorts of compressed liquid tanks delivered on a regular basis. The on-site generators are on-demand systems that generally fill the compressor tank with enough nitrogen to fill several vehicles.

The nitrogen generator equipment needs to be tested on a regular basis. The membrane probably needs to be replaced after some time (sort of like a reverse osmosis water filter).

Costco tire departments aren't charging extra for this. Over the long haul, I don't get why anyone should bend over and take it to the tune of $30 every time tires need to be filled. I've got a $10 Schwinn brand bicycle pump and bring it out every month or so. I also get the exercise as a value added bonus.
cool.gif

If you do a search on nitrogen here at BITOG you will find numerous threads beating this topic to death. Bottom line: For normal street cars, it offers no real advantages over normal air and is not worth paying extra to get.

I wonder if the same shops that use dry nitrogen to fill tires also use water-based lube to mount the tires? What happens to the water when the tire is mounted? I doubt they mount the tires dry.

I use nitrogen.I have a friend in the business and have a 11 gal tank to top off with which works for me.
Without any tank to top off,it's not worth running to get a lb or two of nitrogen.
The only advantage I feel is the holding air pressure longer and that's a fact.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
I wonder if this is the solution to air pressure differential by cold weather.

All the guys at my office with Acura TL's are complaining about their tire pressure sensors going haywire today. It is -24C here, and the cold weather must be causing a decrease in tire pressure.

Anybody have any knowledge as to whether this problem would be solved by nitrogen?

On the other hand, remembering back to jr. high school science class, isn't air something like 78% nitrogen already?

I did this to my TL because I was seeing huge pressure differences with changing temps. It took the swing from ~6psi cold to hot to ~5psi difference. There could've been other factors too, it might not have made any difference. Definately not worth it.

Most of you havn't got a clue. Nitrogen in Mazda 626 turbo and Outback. Pressure check (free at people who ut the Nitrogen (Bob Jane for Oz BITOGER's) on Mazda Last week after 4 months!! Two still spot on at 40 front and 36 rear. One front down a massive 1 psi yes 1 psi to 39 psi and a left rear down 2 psi to 36 psi. Top up free. I'll stick with nitrogen as do most of my car savvy friends. Not having to worry about low tire pressues is great, cooler running and constant pressures is a bonus.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
My head!!!

It's the Nitrogen AJ, it's building up pressure in your head because it won't leak out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back