Nissan vq35de with WIX problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has used Fram tough guard in his '03 Maxima with 100k since new without any issues. I convinced him to purchase some WIX filters from fleetfilter.com and he did, but is not happy with the filters at all! He claims that the vq35 in his '03 Maxima with 100k makes loud cam chain chatter/rattle on start-up with the WIX. All vq35's do this for a split second regardless of the filter, but he insists that the chatter with the WIX is much louder and longer - lasts longer that one second he says. The WIX appears to be little larger than the oem or the fram he uses. For whatever reason it seems to be restricting oil flow at start up. And he tryed 3 different ones with the same results. Always used M1 5-w30. Has anyone else heard of such issues with the WIX? I use the same exact filter in my QR25de altima without issues, and use WIX filters in all the other family vehicles without issues.
thx for any comments.

More than one Wix filter does this? If so, then stick with oem or Fram.

I had a similar noise issue with Baldwins. It would engine chatter until the thermostat opened. Once I isolated it was the design, I threw the remainder in the garbage. Tried 10 different brands in that minivan. Frams & Baldwins were both creating noise.

Last edited:
It sounds like he is using the 1356 rather then the smaller 1365. Both fit all Nissan's 00-up. I use the larger one on my Sentra, and my new Altima. The Wix contruction is better then the Fram.

Look inside the smaller holes in the base. TG should be red silicon which is better. The Wix may be black nitirle.

Maybe the Anti-Drain Back Valve is not working correctly. It should keep the filter loaded to avoid starvation at start-up.

I also had tappet noise on start-up for 30 seconds on a '97 Tahoe 140K miles immediate when I put in Mobil 7500 5W30. Never had it before or after changing to other 5W30. I think it was thin.

M1 seems to run thin. Consider M1 10W30 High Mileage (great spec's). This are 'very' robust and thicker at cold.

If cost is an issue; Conoco TropArtic 5W30 is $1.68/qt at Walmart is the best everyday pricing.

a little off topic.
I have a vq35de 350z and use WIX 51365 oil filters.
I notice my last oil/filter change the new filter I put on is actually larger/taller maybe 1/2 inch but have the same part number printed on box and on the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back