Nissan (shorty) OEM & Honda A-02 OEM cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both have ~5k, both dealer installed. Nissan off a 2.5L Altima, A-02 off an Acura RDX. Nissan replaced with P1 PL14459, Acura with P1 PL14610.

This the Nissan(shorty) equivalent of 14612. Media area, ~63.4 sq.in. Made in China. Part of complimentary Nissan oil change.
OEMs002.jpg

This is Honeywell/Honda A-02. Media area, ~81.5 sq.in. Off a turbocharged engine, and close to MM limit. No idea what Acura dealer oc charge is.
OEMs001.jpg

Originally Posted By: sayjac
This is Honda/Honeywell A-02. Media area 81.5 sq.in. Off a turbocharged engine, and close to MM limit. No idea what Acura dealer charge is.

That's similar to the ST7317 I cut open recently (media area), and a bit shy of the Purolator offerings of about 100 sq. in. Acura dealer's list price on that filter is around 8 bucks, but my dealer sells it at net for about $6. I've not bought one, and prefer the PL-14610 instead, just like what you installed.

My local Acura dealer claims that the A01 has been superceded by the A02. I tried asking about the price of the A01 by the part number, but he said that only the A02 is available.

Dan55, your Acura dealer sells (and even stocks) the A01 filters?

Originally Posted By: Dan55
I don"t know what they charge for a Oil Change but the filters are a little over $10. (A01)

A01's are usually not used by the dealers anymore. If you need any A01's for your own stash HandAaccessories.com HandA

sayjac, is the Nissan filter a Made in China 15208 65F0D?

Do we know who is making these OEM filters for Nissan? We know it's not DENSO as it may have been years ago.

Looks like they are in decent shape. Going with the PureOne is a good move if you don't want to pay more for OEM non-metal end capped filters.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: barlowc
sayjac, is the Nissan filter a Made in China 15208 65F0D?

Do we know who is making these OEM filters for Nissan? We know it's not DENSO as it may have been years ago.
65FOC No clue as to who makes it. I guess the shorty 14612 (Puro#) is the sped'd filter for this model.
21.gif
Though Puro shows the longer 14610 size. As far as I can remember, I've always used the 14610/7317 size. No reason not to, plenty of room.

While I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase either, I'd agree they did their job. And rarely one to look a gift horse in the mouth, the price was right on the Nissan.
grin2.gif

Quote:
Going with the PureOne is a good move if you don't want to pay more for OEM non-metal end capped filters
wink.gif
28.gif
56.gif

I would have no problem using these 2 filters, but i'm not paying dealer price for them. $3 is probably the most i'll pay for them.

That's why I say I wouldn't go out of my way for one. And, seeing as P1's can be had for ~$3 at AAP now, and the PL14610 has >20% more media area than A-02, $2.00 would be closer to my price point.

Quote:
Here is a super-n00b question: What tools do you guys use to cut open the oil filters??? Hacksaw? Dremel?
Some have used a hacksaw, some Dremel tool. The thread below also lists the dedicated Summit Racing cutter, which has some limitations on filters 3" and less in diameter. Harbor Freight exhaust cutter in stores, seems to work well on filters 3.35" and smaller, inexpensive too.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2058907&page=1

i was thinking a few years ago that toyo-roki (japan) use to make most of the japanese cars (honda, toyota, subaru, nissan etc). but through the years contracts went with other companies.. imo the toyo roki filters were nicely made.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Both look good ... even without metal end caps.
wink.gif

Yep, I wrapped a couple disposable shop towels around the media for awhile before posting, iirc that was your idea.

The Acura filter is off my now DIL's turbocharged RDX, replaced with a P1. Dealers using the Fram made A-02 filter is pretty much the standard based on what I've seen.

And the Nissan filter was the next to the last filter on my 03 2.5L Altima before the precat failed spewing substrate into the engine, leading to the end of the line for the Altima, Nissan and I as posted here.

Fiber seems much thicker on both than a standard orange Fram. Would the A-02 be closer to the construction of a TG? These both look like they've done perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back