Nissan Coolant????

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience.

02 Nissan Sentra.

Switched to Dexcool at 20K. Had to replace cabin heater ar 35K miles. Clogged/corro0ded.

Service manager said Dexcool would do this. Has seen it before.

Am now using Nissan stuff. There are, I believe 2 grades of Nissan coolant. Regular and long life. The long life costs an arm and a leg. I use the regular and at 96K iles have had no problems.

Also recommend staying with Nissan Coolant.

I bought some nissan coolant and it said LONG LIFE on it with i believe the model number being 999MP. Is this the long life stuff? or is there a SUPER LONG LIFE stuff?

$18
frown.gif

Quote:

Quote:

It was about $21. Not cheap but oh well.

That was the very reason why I went with Amsoil coolant, it's roughly the same price, but I'll get two years of extra service life out of it.

Well just called my parts department @ Infiniti and the price was $25.98. And thats in Orland Park, Illinois.

shocked.gif

also, a lot of info is taken out of context then circulated concerning silicated coolant. Silcates don't drop out of suspension under normal and even severe operating conditions. The problems occurred when high silicated coolants had been used and additives were introduced ( which caused the silicates to drop out. Specifically diesel engine coolants that needed SCA's- supplemental coolant additives. It was a problem when too much SCA's were introduced to a high silicated coolant. Now everything is low(er) silicated, for a handful of other reasons to boot, plus SCA's are no longer needed with the newer extended life coolants using OAT's. The OAT's are able to protect the piston liners and water pumps from cavitation damage like the SCA's did (nitrites/nitrates/borates/molybdate additives). And silicate stabilizers are needed to keep it in suspension, so when cheap antifreeze was used which skipped out on the stabilizer, the silicate would drop out. So to simply say don't use silicated coolant because it'll drop out in and clog the radiator is a lie.

I respectfully disagree. Usually there will be no drop out within the normal change interval, but if left in too long it can and does fall out. I have resolved many overheating engine problems with a coolant change on aged conventional green coolant. In some cases even pushing the OEM spec of three years was pushing it.

It can also fall out during storage. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I remember using a five year old but unopened bottle I found in the garage to find a gel in the bottom of the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back