Nissan Altima is #1 Midsize Car in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least for March.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/04/nissan-altima-outsells-camry-accord-in-march-named-best-sellin/

Yes, there were incentives. And there was probably a number of fleet sales as well.

But this shows that the auto market is changing. The traditional players are now being overruled by vehicles that were once viewed by consumers as cars that redefined the segment, but were never destined to be sales leaders.

Nissan has a very strong line-up right now, especially on the Infiniti side. Let's just hope that their durability and reliability has improved.

Just for some perspective:

Altima........32,289 units sold.

Ford F-150....53,272 units sold.

Ford Fusion...27,566 units sold.

In February, I rented a 2011 Nissan Sentra in Hawaii. What a tin can-sounding, quirky-to-operate, oddball, piece of junk that car was!

Last edited:
I really liked my 93 Sentra. New ones, not at all. My boss has a Altima. Two windows are not staying closed. Looks like a regulator problem. The response of the dealership is they never heard of that problem?

According to CR, the top three automakers were 1) Honda, 2) Subaru, and 3) Toyota, as far as quality and reliability are concerned. Ford was #5, Chrysler and GM were nestled at the bottom, lol.

I read that; excellent news for Nissan. I love to see those players not typically "big leaguers" getting their slice of the pie. I've always had an affinity for Nissans, and I think they've mostly made some very nice stuff. They've historically been a little too quirky to sell in large numbers, but the Altima is a fantastic product.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
My boss has a Altima. Two windows are not staying closed. Looks like a regulator problem. The response of the dealership is they never heard of that problem?

Yes they have. My friend's 2010 2.5SL has been in for warranty work on 2 windows now.

The brakes are grabby on all of the new ones I've driven. Not linear at all.. nothing nothing nothing BRAKE HARD!

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
According to CR, the top three automakers were 1) Honda, 2) Subaru, and 3) Toyota, as far as quality and reliability are concerned. Ford was #5, Chrysler and GM were nestled at the bottom, lol.

Yeah...I'm laughing too because you believe Consumer Reports.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Nissan has a very strong line-up right now, especially on the Infiniti side. Let's just hope that their durability and reliability has improved.

It's pretty hard to beat already. My folks' 2000 Maxima has been rock solid and because it is the venerable VQ30 I don't expect the engine itself to ever give a hint of trouble. The body is starting to show age, but the car runs like day 1 still. My 2002 Altima 3.5 and my 2002 Maxima 3.5 were also reliable. (The Maxima was better built than the Altima back at that point) but that has changed.

I'd kill for a new 3.5SE coupe. They are gorgeous.

My 9+ year old car with over 100k miles is holding up great. Might be better built using better materials than the last gen Accord and Camry.

My Subie at 116,000 miles is in far better shape than most GM cars at 100k miles. Our car lot won't even put a GM car on the lot with more than 75K on it, because the recon cost is astronomical, they usually need a lot of work, along with the Chrysler's. The Asian marques that we get in, usually need very little work.

Last edited:
My mom has a 07 2.5 ALtima sedan ,and for its price point it is a awsome car.
Great power from the 4 cyl CVT combo ,and quality interior materials.
Just a joy to drive.
Hopfully we dont have any window problems pop up.

Before we got this I cross shopped the Accord ,but this car was alot more fun although the Accord is a great product as well.

Looking at sales numbers is a logical fallacy known as the "appeal to popularity". All I can say is that most of the people who drive them around here drive like total douchebags; they seem to be the most insecure people as measured by car brand. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
Looking at sales numbers is a logical fallacy known as the "appeal to popularity". All I can say is that most of the people who drive them around here drive like total douchebags; they seem to be the most insecure people as measured by car brand. Just my opinion.

antonmnster- while we're talking logical fallacies-- implying that your personal experience and the small sample size of your observations allows you to make a generalization about Nissan owners in your area, much less Nissan owners in general, is a logical fallacy known as "hasty generalization".

I helped a buddy of mine change a clutch in one. I'm glad I had the opportunity
to help out because I can now put that car on my list of cars never to buy.

Good to see this, perhaps it's a sign that the herd is changing its tastes in cars?

It would be nice for sure as I am really tired of the bloat that comes out of Honda, Toyota GM and others. The current Altima is slightly smaller then the last gen, I hope this trend continues with other automakers
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: subiedriver

Yeah...I'm laughing too because you believe Consumer Reports.

Yeah I know right?? What a joke!

I can't let go of the cheap feel of the Nissan/Infiniti. Maybe they finally got past that, but for me they always seem behind.

I still would not even set foot into a Nissan/Infiniti dealer.

Odd examples are the cheapest looking interior light on a $35k car. Why not put an ounce of effort into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back