New way to interview? Have the final four applicants interview in front of each other, attend a social together, etc

Interviewed once in the afternoon with a team of interviewers. Didn't feel warm and fuzzy about how it went, but thought it went ok.

Next morning in regular USPS mail, I got a Dear John letter from the company, explaining I had not made the cut.

Where I lived at the time in relation to the interview location, normal delivery should have taken a minimum of 2 days.

My first thought was, oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Then it hit me. They had to have sent out the letter the day before my interview. If that's how they chose to play it, fine - nothing ventured nothing gained.

Literally 3+ months later after the interview, I received a call from said company wanting to know if I was still interested in the position.

They offered me the job on the phone. I accepted. Spent the next 19 years there.

Found out months later after being hired, their preferred candidate(s) could not pass a drug screen.

Put me up against your best druggies. Buddy, I'll kick their collective Southern Hemispheres. 💪 :ROFLMAO:

I'm a little ways away from that yet, but it shouldn't matter. Is nobody interested in developers who have decades of experience and skills?

When I look for a mechanic I'm not taking it to the guy just got his certificate. The last 2 shops I frequented were chosen in large part due to the 40+ year olds there getting their hands dirty.
You are right-it shouldn't matter. But it very much does. It's a hard reality to face. You have more more experienced, have more life experience, you would make a better candidate-...but even if you are over 40 you WILL BE discriminated against. But the excuse as to why you didn't get the position, or promotion will be some other issue that will dance around age.

It's a hard reality.
Ask me how I know...........

You are right-it shouldn't matter. But it very much does. It's a hard reality to face. You have more more experienced, have more life experience, you would make a better candidate-...but even if you are over 40 you WILL BE discriminated against. But the excuse as to why you didn't get the position, or promotion will be some other issue that will dance around age.

It's a hard reality.

What's funny is that I was one of two contractors writing the internal resume system for a very well known fortune 500 a number of years ago. We ended up downloading millions of resumes through an automated system, scanning/parsing them, using basic AI to classify them into channels and tagging them appropriately, all dumped into a solr database with a pretty powerful frontend over top.

The manager at that company was the senior in charge of recruiting and paid our wages with her credit card. Spent a few years doing that before they ended up completing their own internal system (we were only supposed to be temps to tide them over) and I remember reading through my fair share of resumes and boolean searches and kind of getting a first hand view to how this all works. I remember thinking already back then I hope I don't ever get caught in the system and lo and behold, here I am.

About ready to buy a few cows and a tractor and starting cutting hay.

What's funny is that I was one of two contractors writing the internal resume system for a very well known fortune 500 a number of years ago. We ended up downloading millions of resumes through an automated system, scanning/parsing them, using basic AI to classify them into channels and tagging them appropriately, all dumped into a solr database with a pretty powerful frontend over top.

The manager at that company was the senior in charge of recruiting and paid our wages with her credit card. Spent a few years doing that before they ended up completing their own internal system (we were only supposed to be temps to tide them over) and I remember reading through my fair share of resumes and boolean searches and kind of getting a first hand view to how this all works. I remember thinking already back then I hope I don't ever get caught in the system and lo and behold, here I am.

About ready to buy a few cows and a tractor and starting cutting hay.

I retired at 55 years of age...not necessarily by choice. I saw discrimination first hand. Of course, I was fortunate-I was able to retire at that age due to previous Real Estate investments. Looking back they did me a favor.

It's a hard reality.
You're right, of course.
Fair or unfair, legal or not (it isn't) this is a fact in the hiring environment.

You're right, of course.
Fair or unfair, legal or not (it isn't) this is a fact in the hiring environment.

I like the ones that want you list a bunch of completely unrelated details, like your gender, pronouns, ethnicity and other stuff like that. They then put a little disclaimer on the bottom "company XYZ is a totally beautiful company that will never use this information to discriminate, we just want it for other reasons". I've been avoiding those roles and thankfully they're pretty infrequent.

Great to see that our friends in HR have dreamt up more inventive ways of robbing applicants of their dignity and have invented bigger, prettier hoops for them to jump through. What a ridiculous ______ show job hunting has become. My most recent interview was in 2022 for my current job, and while it was totally normal and reasonable (attorneys were running the show), I pray that it was my last.

OP, cheers to you for stepping your way clear of that train wreck. Imagine what they must be like to work for.

I can see the upside for the company, but not for the prospects.

I agree it's probably at least half a test to see who is really serious. bet there were only one or two actually there.

That's crazy - I would not participate in that. I'll be switching careers in the next year or so - it will be a long and stressful process I suspect.

I think there are a lot of developers out of work today.

My son got let go last month in Seattle. Not sure how hard he's pushing to find another job. He has money for a while, so we will see.

With so much "talent" available on the other side of the world, I suspect a seasoned developer wanting Western wages is going to struggle young or old.

I'm no help, but agree it's a unique process. It might be good if the interviewers are doing their jobs, but agree the time commitment is problematic-- and arguably inconsiderate.

I read the entire thread and it just reminded me how out of touch I am with all this, having worked for myself since '09. I wouldn't look good on paper and I have no patience for politics.

One thing to think about here…

Maybe… just maybe… There is a possibility that a company could use that odd process to see which person would be wanting to start drama, be nasty and be a legit back stabber.

Then they find out who acts that way… And choose NOT to hire that person.

That's crazy - I would not participate in that. I'll be switching careers in the next year or so - it will be a long and stressful process I suspect.

What career field are you thinking of switching into ?

I have no real issue with the process. Its the giving up 4 days of your life I had issue with. Asking for 4 days my guess is they have no clue what they want and there looking for someone to grovel. I would never hire that person but if that is what they want so be it.

When I was a hiring manager I used to bring candidates in and run them through a gauntlet - multiple interviews in succession with however many executives we could convince to give up 30 minutes of their time that day. There was a method to our madness. If you made a positive impression that was great. If you made no impression that was OK. If you made negative impression that was a deal killer. We usually knew beforehand who we wanted, so it was sort of a last test. The job was pretty high pressure but paid well. Most of our candidates did pretty well.

In relation to the @GON original process - they could be looking for certain things. Who is the winner of Survivor, or who gets along with everyone, or who simply refuses to play at all might be the correct candidate. It depends on what they want. Its hard to say.

Back