New Purolator L10111 Cut open, Take a look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figure I would cut another filter open. This time I was curious about the Purolator Filters.
DSCN1012_zps69b4093a.jpg
DSCN1013_zpsb56dbb12.jpg
DSCN1014_zps0e396ee2.jpg
DSCN1015_zpsc3142442.jpg

Compared to the Fram Tough Guard I cut opened, this filter is actually a really good quality product. Everything is very clean and very well put together

Thank you so much for posting this!! I noticed that Walmart is now selling those classic Purolators and I was hesitant in purchasing them. I could tell by looking inside them they were not e-core but I couldn't tell the quality of the media or endcaps. Your pictures show that for $3.50 it is a good filter to use.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Meh, just as good as an orange can.

Really? This filter has steel endcaps vs the orange can fiber/paper caps and better media... that alone makes this filter better and at a lesser cost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KevGuy
Meh, just as good as an orange can.

I do not know what "orange can" you are refering to, but there is one Orange Can (well very reddish orange) that this purolator is just as good as:
B2_zpsbce1d912.jpg

By the way, I don't fear the Fram orange can, I just don't use them.

$3.27 everyday at Wally's here, all applications. Hard to quibble with the Classic as an excellent value filter in the nitrile adbv class.

Thanks for the pics of an new one for the board.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
$3.27 everyday at Wally's here, all applications. Hard to quibble with the Classic as an excellent value filter in the nitrile adbv class.

Thanks for the pics of an new one for the board.

I agree. I think that filter will be a fine replacement for the old ST line that Walmart stopped carrying.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I agree. I think that filter will be a fine replacement for the old ST line that Walmart stopped carrying.

I think it's probably one the best-bang-for-the-buck filters right now, or at least one of them. A local WM in the area has a plastic sign hanging up that listed the old SuperTech E-Core numbers in one column and the new Purolator numbers in a column next to it. It said: "If your old SuperTech number is XXXXX, your new Purolator number is now YYYYY. It probably helps for the new Purolator users who are don't have the capacity to look up the filter number in the application book or don't have the ability to look up the Purolator number in the little digital electronic look-up box.
And one more thing. The Purolator name has been around a long time, I believe I saw an ad once that said they invented the oil filter. I do remember in the early 80s that most relabeled or rebranded oil filters were Purolator classics.

Last edited:
In the second pic, it looks like the end of the pleat (middle of the element, low) has holes in it but the image is too blurry to tell for sure. What gives?

The Classic is an average filter at a better than average price. I see nothing to get particularly excited about here in terms of construction but the price does make it appealing to short FCI users. Everybody dance!

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
In the second pic, it looks like the end of the pleat (middle of the element, low) has holes in it but the image is too blurry to tell for sure. What gives?

The Classic is an average filter at a better than average price. I see nothing to get particularly excited about here in terms of construction but the price does make it appealing to short FCI users. Everybody dance!

I checked those holes and they were sealed with glue. Nothing to worry there

I use Purolator filters, but never without a twinge. Nothing to do with the filter's quality, though. For 8 1/2 years I drove a courier van for the Purolator Courier company. The work wasn't as heavy as UPS, but we didn't get paid as much either -- and no air-conditioning in the trucks.

While the Classic may not be anything to get excited about, of the readily available filters in it's class, it's a solidly made filter with a very respectable efficency rating of 97.5@20um for majority applications like the OP's, add in the everyday Wally price and it's tough to beat.

No the Classic is not a $9 Ultra, but it's not designed to compete with it either. Apples to apples, I'll take it over it's biggest and generally more expensive competitor in it's class.

And $.43 price difference over the ST they replaced in Wally is well worth it imo.

Years ago I bought a dozen of the Classic's when they were 'Premium Plus' I believe it was for $1.75 each. Ran them in my '00 Accord for 7k OCI with M1. They all worked-no strange noises, leaks nor performance issues. The price to performance ratio is appealing.

I could tell by looking inside them they were not e-core
eCore is a patented construction used only in filters made by Champion Laboratories. It's one of the ways you can tell who made a private-label filter.

Originally Posted By: DirtRacer53
Figure I would cut another filter open. This time I was curious about the Purolator Filters.
DSCN1012_zps69b4093a.jpg
DSCN1013_zpsb56dbb12.jpg
DSCN1014_zps0e396ee2.jpg
DSCN1015_zpsc3142442.jpg

Compared to the Fram Tough Guard I cut opened, this filter is actually a really good quality product. Everything is very clean and very well put together

Looks like another high quality purolator product. Thanx for posting!

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
I could tell by looking inside them they were not e-core
eCore is a patented construction used only in filters made by Champion Laboratories. It's one of the ways you can tell who made a private-label filter.

You're right! Even though I knew this I still looked inside lol. I wasn't thinking.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: DirtRacer53
DSCN1012_zps69b4093a.jpg
DSCN1013_zpsb56dbb12.jpg
DSCN1014_zps0e396ee2.jpg
DSCN1015_zpsc3142442.jpg

Looks like another high quality purolator product. Thanx for posting!

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back