New OEM ContiPro Contact on 12' Golf. Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. Just bought a new 12' Golf and it came w/Continental tires. I'm not at all familiar w/this brand. I'd really like to have a better handling tire. (Previously car had Bridgestone RE960's and OMG what a different those tires made for the better when I replaced the OEM Hankook H725's!) I've read many posts on the internet (many for the bad)regarding the Continental's. So my question is, should I replace w/another brand? (Michelin Pilot Exalto, Kumho Escta LX, or....) These tires on my VW were made in France. Are the problems reported on the Conti's because the tires were manufactured elsewhere (Mexico). Not keen on spending $ right now but I will for right reasons. Thanks for any and all replies! Bill

I actually liked those tires on an 03 Civic we had. Now the OEM version may be quite different, but I wouldn't just throw them away right off the bat.

Why not drive on them and see how they perform? Get some money's worth out of them at least. Thats what I would do. Too many other things to spend money on right now in a soft economy.
cheers

if you dont like the tires buy some new ones at a memorial day/holiday sale price

There are deals frequently where its double rebated or giftcard/rebate

then craigslist your old ones.. someone will buy them.

I suggest pricing them about 75-80% of new pricing and let yourself be negotiated down some.

I'm sure Conti pulls a tire off the line now and again to check it against their own specs, and country of origin shouldn't mean much there.

There are lots of overpriced used tires on craigslist. A matched set without much wear and good provenance will get a slight premium... but you are going to take a substantial loss.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
Hello everyone. Just bought a new 12' Golf and it came w/Continental tires. I'm not at all familiar w/this brand. I'd really like to have a better handling tire. (Previously car had Bridgestone RE960's and OMG what a different those tires made for the better when I replaced the OEM Hankook H725's!)

What size is the tire? Handling depends on sidewall height to a large extent. If you have a lot of sidewall, it won't be as responsive.

With that said, ContiProContact is not a bad tire. Maybe not as good as Bridgestone RE960, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try to dump the Contis right away. Just wear them out and then buy something else.

Continental is the fourth largest tire manufacturer in the world (after Bridgestone, Michelin, and Goodyear). Conti owns General Tire.

We have those tires on our 08 rabbit. Will likely change them out this winter at about 45k miles with some good tread left.

Seems silly to waste the money swapping tires early for an incremental benefit.

I'm with others. Drive them. You for sure won't gain much swapping them to Kumhos. Contis were OE on my '07 Fusion, and they weren't horrible. I've had worse.

What is the size, speed rating, and UTQG?

I have a set of 215/60-16 94T 540 A A that came stock on my Nissan and have liked them well enough to consider another set when the time comes. They have 49K miles on them right now and are wearing great. They corner well, don't slide/skid easily, and the comfort and noise levels are good. While I've heard some complain about traction in heavy rain and snow, I've experienced just the opposite. (i.e. They have done great for me in those conditions.)

Most likely they are spec by OEM. Depends on the UTQG they might grip pretty well but don't last (less than 200) or horrible but last long (400+)

Unless I keep finding the STI's OEM Dunlops for cheap on the Subie forums, I'll most likely be swapping out for some Conti Extreme Contact DW or DWS tires. I don't know the difference between the Pro and Extreme contact, but the the tires in general seem to get pretty good reviews.

I bought a set of Conti Extreme Contact DWS's for my Camaro last year, and have been pleased with the handling feel and smooth running. They don't have the ultimate grip of my summer tires, but I didn't expect that from an all-season tire. Mostly I bought them for grip in the wet, for which The Tire Rack rates them very highly.

I say keep the Continentals.

The tires are 195/65/15's. 400 AA A. I'm most concerned w/the sidewall issues posted by others regarding this tire. (i.e "bubbles" in sidewall resulting in blow-outs, thread seperation.) For these reasons and the fact in my experience, all OEM tires have been at best, mediocre. If you look at the selling price of a Hankook H725 or the OEM Conti Pro Contact tire on TireRack, it's something ridicious, around $100 ea. I can say w/certainty the H725 were very poor tires. No where reflecting their selling price. I bet it is the same w/the OEM Conti's. I'm talking about the OEM tires and not the other types sold by Continental. All makers have some gems and some so-so tires. Thanks for all the replies.

Continental is a good brand, and a AA traction rating is impressive for an OE tire on that sort of vehicle. I'd be willing to run much worse tires than that if that's what came on my car. I'd want something different for winter though. Like most OE tires, it doesn't look like they'd dig into snow very well.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
I'd want something different for winter though. It doesn't look like they'd dig into snow very well.

I haven't had any problems in snow during the four Michigan winters I've had the tires.

Continental has some real losers of OEM tires, but they have some pretty decent ones also. I like the ContiProContact line of tires. The ProContact EcoPlus are also extremely similar in tread pattern, so it must work pretty well (tread compound obviously also plays a large part in how a tire behaves).

I'd keep them and enjoy them for as long as you can.

Id' leave them on, those are halfway decent tires. I'm seriously looking forward to getting the H725s off the nox, those are awful tires for sure. Replacing with Pirelli Scorpions most likely. There are definitely far worse OE tires. You know, like the Bridgestone EL400s. I don't think I've ever driven on a rougher, noisier, ill mannered tire. That includes the 33" Baja Claws we had on the Jeep.

Originally Posted By: sparky123
The tires are 195/65/15's. 400 AA A. I'm most concerned w/the sidewall issues posted by others regarding this tire. (i.e "bubbles" in sidewall resulting in blow-outs, thread seperation.)

Most sidewall bubbles are caused by hitting something and damaging the tire. Where are you getting your info on bubbles and tread separation?

I wouldn't waste my money on replacing them. Drive them, I say.

I have them on my 2003 sable, Conti Pro Contact in 215/60/16, bought them used for 140 (all 4 installed and balanced), almost new tires.

They are probably the best all around tire i have ever used, and i have used Firestone Firehawk GT-H, Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring (same car as the firehawk, the Firehawk GT-H sucked in the snow, and it was a dealer installed tire before i bought the car), Goodyear Eagle LS-2 and my Continentals. The car is hard as can be to break loose on corners, it just does what you want it to. Quiet tires as well, and decent ride on the bumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back