New Netgear N router Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 21.5" iMac and just hooked up a new Netgear router. Problem is that I can only get the wireless to work and not the ethernet cable. If I turn off the wireless, the computer shows ethernet cable connected but will not work. Any ideas. I have the ethernet cable plugged in to the #1 port on the router. Also the IP address is the same for wireless and ethernet 172.xxx. Is this normal. Thanks

The low hanging fruit here would be a bad ethernet cable. Have you tried a different one?

Also, on the web interface, you can usually turn on/off the wired and wireless networks.

Best,

I tried the cable and no it wasn't that. Good thought though!
I have to ask what the GUI is and where is it shown? Thanks
I think I'm going to go and buy an airport extreme tomorrow. I'll bet that it will solve all my problems. Just didn't want to spend $179.00 on a router, but Oh well. I'll update this tomorrow!!

Last edited:
179 isn't bad. My Access Point is a Cisco AP541N, LOL!

While I'm not a huge Netgear fan, I doubt it is the router that is the issue.

The web GUI is navigated to via a web browser. Whatever your gateway is (172.21.0.1 for instance) is the address you type in the address field of the browser, in your case, probably Safari.

Yep, and the static/manually assigned IP is on the computer side of the cable, so a new Airport won't fix anything.
Go to Mac equivalent of Settings/Network/Ethernet and make sure that a box "Obtain IP address automatically" is checked INSTEAD of "Assign IP address manually"

It looks to me that someone connected to your new router via wireless and then assigned the IP address issued to the WIRELESS card to the Ethernet card. It might work, IF you change the subnet, etc manually as well. So the easist is just to leave the Ethernet card on "Obtain IP address automatically".

Well guys thanks for the responses. I tried everything and even took it to the genius station at the local store to check that the ethernet card wasn't bad.
It was fine. So I once again called Apple support on the phone and got a fantastic tech who knew right away how to fix it.
He said that when my old d-link router died it sent a spurious signal that corrupted my system file. Sure enough, found my system file and brought it to the desktop. He said that this makes the system file go to a default. Well Wa-La, problem solved. Working great now.
I have to say that not only is Apple support easy to reach, but absolutely fantastic to work with. My tech Chris was extremely smart, and he even was an American who spoke English and lives in Kentucky!! I'm sold on this brand after years of dealing with Gateway. Only Apple for me from now on.
Oh and by the way, kept the airport extreme router. It was expensive but is really well built.
Thanks again.
Pete

That really sounds like a steaming pile. I don't disagree that perhaps your System file somehow ended up corrupted and restoring it to a default state "fixed it". But I do however have an issue with stating that the D-Link sent a spurious signal. That's a load.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back