New Mobil 1 FS 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by pgalore
It's interesting that even today the Aussie version is approved against Longlife-01...
https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/mobil/mobil-1-0w-40-1l/p/A9707035
It's much cheaper to buy the imported US version on eBay though.

I called Mobil Australia and asked for the technical detail sheet because it wasn't available on their website which also seemed to be very outdated.
And turns out the one sold here in the gold bottle under "Ultimate All-Round Performance" is exactly the same as the FS 0W-40 one sold in the US and elsewhere and so isn't approved against longlife-01 anymore. All the bottles on the shelves need to get the latest info because it's just incorrect and misleading.... Product labeling practice is very slack here.

Hi,
Is elevated B normal for this oil?
Cheers,
Iain.

Screen Shot 02-11-19 at 05.19 PM.PNG

Yes, that amount of boron in a UOA looks typical. It's the only additive element I know of that decreases in concentration from the amount that is in the virgin oil.

Originally Posted by SpitFire6
Hi,
Is elevated B normal for this oil?
Cheers,
Iain.

Yes. See attached recent UOAs for M1 0w40 FS.

8892.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at Mobil 1 website...its states the FS oil is "For vehicles with emission systems that do not have diesel particulate filters"....

Their ESP oil is for diesel particulate filter equipped cars.

In my 2015 Audi S3 I run Castrol 0w 40
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Mobil and others would do themselves a much better service by having the specification as part of the product trade name, like Castrol does. FS and Euro Diesel and TDI and ESP and other marketing blurbs and acronyms aren't terribly helpful. I want a dexos2/C3 or an A3/B4 type lube and would like that clearly obvious on the front, then I can look for builder approvals on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back