New Honda GVC160- good high temp oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my first mower from Honda!

Haven't started it yet but I will be soon as I move into my new home on the 12th of September. I'll be getting it some mineral oil for the first 5 hours but I'm not too sure whats a good oil to use after the break in period?

Is there a specific oil designed for high temp applications like these air cooled engine? Also the summers here in Canada over the past few years are anywhere from 35-40 degrees with humidity....

I believe even the new ones say just to use 10w30. Well they want you to use the Honda brand oil, which is just 10w30. Anything will fine. Also, I hope you wouldn't mow when its 40C.. bad for the grass and you lol.

I have a Honda Harmony about 5-6 years old and I usually use mobil 5000 10w30 in it. as long as you change it at the 50 hours it recommends you will be fine.

Congrats on the Honda, they're great mowers!! Enjoy! I ran the Honda oil about 5-10 hours, then switched to QSUD 10w30. Just last week I put in Rotella T5 10w30. I think either of those, or M1, PP or any other synthetic would serve you well. My reasoning for using the Rotella is that it's dual certified between Diesel and Gas engines, and seems to be a robust oil.

Neighbor and I have the same engine and change the oil twice a year using the cheapest 10W30 oil sold at Wal-Mart + the air filter once a year.

Have done this for many years. Nothing has blown up yet!

I have the same mower, I don't think it's very picky in my experience so I end up basically using it as a way to use up my leftover car oils which will usually be a 5w30 syn, or maybe Rotella 15w40. I really don't think it much matters. Love the mower, just hate how hard it is to get the valve cover off to adjust the valves, you just about have to destroy it because it's basically glued on with gasket maker goop.

I tend to run good oils in the mower. It's air cooled, it's running over 3,000rpm continuously, many times at full throttle, all 3 of which will probably give some fairly high oil temps. Next time I'm going to shoot sump temps so I know oil temp for sure.

Then there's the abuse, primarily hitting thick grass and bogging it down really bad. Even if you're careful, it's going to happen from time to time. The governor is quick to go full throttle once rpms drop a little and it can be really hard on the rod bearing and piston thrust surface. Sometimes they will bog really bad and even when you remove the load they will sit in limbo at a very low rpm and full throttle. This is very hard on the rod bearing and higher HTHS is needed to prevent excessive wear.

Since I use it in the cars already, I use Redline in the mower. I try to use the 5w30 if I have it laying around. It's a straight 30wt, no VIIs so it's fine for the mower. I've used the 15w40 in it when I didn't have 5w30 which is a straight 40wt. I even changed my $110 air compressor oil over to Redline 5w30 since I already had it there. Just a few oil changes away from having the oil worth more than the whole compressor lol.

It's just my opinion but you can do a cheap straight 30 or a name brand 10w30. 5w30 would be fine but for peace of mind, I would want to do a robust 5w30 like the Redline I use. The Hondas are so nice, and it should last a long time no matter what oil but since they can see unintended abuse somewhat regularly, it's worth it to at least go with a name brand Dino 10w30.

Last edited:
It is a lawn mower. Read the manual select the proper rated oil and change it as recommended.

Originally Posted By: MoreCowbellAz
I have the same mower, I don't think it's very picky in my experience so I end up basically using it as a way to use up my leftover car oils which will usually be a 5w30 syn, or maybe Rotella 15w40. I really don't think it much matters. Love the mower, just hate how hard it is to get the valve cover off to adjust the valves, you just about have to destroy it because it's basically glued on with gasket maker goop.
Honda sells a version of that valve cover made of heavier material for their commercial engines. It's is thicker and stronger. I'd google Honda GCV valve cover problems for more info.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Just last week I put in Rotella T5 10w30.

+1

I have a similar engine design in my pressure washer (GC190). I am currently using Esso XD 0w30 that is 5 years old now and will be changing the oil to Rotella 10w30 T5 and I am confident that oil will be fine.

I have 2 GCV160 engines. One on my mower that has been in service for 10 years and has run on conventional 10W-30 for most of its life and one on a pressure washer which was first started with Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 three years ago and still uses the PP 5W-30. neither engine uses any oil between changes. The idea of using a non detergent oil is for new or rebuilt piston aircraft engines and has nothing to do with small outdoor power equipment engines.

I also have 2 GCV160 engines, one on a mower and one on a pressure washer. Both have been in service for more than five years with Mobil1 5w30. Neither machine requires any make-up oil over the course of a normal season. I believe the manuals for my machines call for 5w30; not sure where all these votes for 10w30 are coming from, but I doubt that it would hurt anything.

I use M1 0w40 in my lawnmower with Brigg & Stratton engine on a 2 year OCI. Works like a champ. Starts on the very first pull even after winter storage. After 2 years oil is still so clean as if it just came out of the bottle.

A 5w30 grade doesn't seem to work as well for me. When going over bumpy surface the mower tended to start smoking on occasion as if burning oil. Probably 5w30 is a little too thin at high temperatures and is splashing a lot. Haven't experienced that with the 0w40.

Originally Posted By: vronline
Honda recommends 10w30... I like Rotella T5 or Delo XLE Semi-Synthetic 10w30 in my mowers.

I stand corrected. The words say "10w30 recommended" but the chart shows 5w30 and 10w30 being interchangeable. I've been happy with the Mobil1 5w30 for all these years and will just keep using that or it high mileage cousin.

Hello Striker- Honda recommends a 4-stroke automotive detergent motor oil. SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general use.

The SAE oil viscosity and service classification are in the API label on the oil container. Honda recommends API SERVICE category SJ or higher oil with
the ILSAC “starburst” certification mark displayed on the container. Since Honda doesn’t suggest the use of synthetic motor oils in there mower owners
manual, we recommend you use a good strength conventional motor oil. Here’s a couple motor oils that would be great for your Honda mower. Quaker State
Advance Durability 10W-30 Conventional Motor Oil is formulated to protect against deposits caused by sludge and varnish. It also reduces engine wear and
protects your engine under severe operating conditions. Shell Rotella T 10W-30 Motor Oil is a diesel/gasoline engine approved oil. It protects and reduces internal
engine heat, friction, and wear. It's formulated with an exclusive advanced detergent system to deliver outstanding piston and engine cleanliness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back