New generator not run for several years??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is trading some work for a new 17KW Generac generator. I believe it is a v twin about 30hp. It is the previous model not the newest one so I a guessing it has sat for several years. It's still in the box.

Any suggestions for the first start and if I should drain the oil and replace before starting? Spray oil in the spark plug holes?

Should be OK, units come with SOME oil in them. But if you want put some light oil in the plug hole - dont put the plug back in let it sit a bit then crank it a few times to push the oil out - then reinstall the plug. Worse thing is you may get a weak valve spring BC one cylinder may have that valve fully compressed for 3 years ... Just DONT USE AUTOMOTIVE multigrade unless specified. This bigger unit may surely have an oil pump and filter.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Should be OK, units come with SOME oil in them. But if you want put some light oil in the plug hole - dont put the plug back in let it sit a bit then crank it a few times to push the oil out - then reinstall the plug. Worse thing is you may get a weak valve spring BC one cylinder may have that valve fully compressed for 3 years ... Just DONT USE AUTOMOTIVE multigrade unless specified. This bigger unit may surely have an oil pump and filter.

What could go wrong using automotive multigrade?

Depends on the circumstances.

If it was never taken out of the box and never submerged in water or anything like that, it should be totally fine.

If someone beat the [censored] out of it, shoved it back in the box, then took it back to the store and it sat, I would avoid. I have seen people ruin equipment and put it back in the box, even though many stores will take it back without a box. This happens with pushmowers too...some people even leave the grass bag full, but do have the box.

They probably have assembly lube in the important places. Oil it up and let er rip!

Just DONT USE AUTOMOTIVE multigrade unless specified. This bigger unit may surely have an oil pump and filter.

The latest B&S manuals that I have seen say to use a multi-grade oil at your first choice and a straight 30W as the second choice.
Doesn't this engine just pump oil through the filter and nowhere else? In other words, if you have an oil pump failure, wouldn't the engine would just keep running even if the filter is dry?

I assume this is a NG powered home stand-by unit? They do have automatic exercise modes once they're all hooked up, but are designed to sit and handle it. I'd do an early oil change or two initially with an inexpensive 30wt variant, then use something HDEO, like 5w40 or 15w40.

At that size, that baby is going to pull some serious natural gas. Hope you son is equipped for it if this is indeed what he's got.

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

What could go wrong using automotive multigrade?
ILSAC SN PCMO is one of the "weakest" current spec oils you can buy - and a genset is not a car. Stationary engines running at full power are like piston aircraft - and most of those would crash an burn after a 100hrs if run on ILSAC dirty, gum producing VII additised oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
My Briggs manual says 10 - 30.

Yes, but that 10W-30 was before the zinc additive was reduced to the lower level used in engine oils now days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the still good oils for OPE (out door power equipment such as a generator or a lawn mower) are:

Shell Rotella T5 15W-40 (for summer), Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 (for all seasons), Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 0W-40(for all seasons), Castrol 0W-30 european formula made in germany (for all seasons), and diesel oils such as Delvac 1300.

Shell Rotella is available at Wall-Mart and many auto stores.

Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck is available at Advance Auto Parts.

Castrol 0W-30 is available at Pep-Boys and Auto Zone Auto Parts.

Delvac is available at Peb-Boys and many other stores.

For the summer Shell Rotella T5 15W-40 is probably the lowest cost.

For all seasons Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 is probably the lowest cost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motorcycle oils and ATV oils would also be a good oil for OPE. Most Pep-Boys have a separate shelf of oils for motorcycles and ATVs.

Last edited:
You forgot RT5 10W30 Jim!! My favourite and least expensive of the bunch with the film strength of a 40 weight
grin.gif

Generators may run at full rpm but not always at full load. It be akin to running your car in neutral/park and saying it is under load.

I barely used 25% of my generator's capacity this past storm so it was hardly breaking a sweat. So unless you are fully loading a generator you can't say it is at full power.

Aircraft engines are a different story all together and shouldn't be compared to auto or outdoor power equipment or their oil standards.

ANY decent well known 10w30 will be just fine but if you live in a cold climate I know briggs recommends a synthetic 5w30 to relief the starter of some strain(as well as oil pump) because if that goes you are done as far as starting goes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: webfors
You forgot RT5 10W30 Jim!! My favourite and least expensive of the bunch with the film strength of a 40 weight
grin.gif

Rotella RT5 10W-30 is not JASO-MA rated, and there fore I would not use it in an air cooled engine such as a generator that runs at 3600 RPM's.

It was not over looked, it was not listed because it is not JASO-MA.

In my Coleman 3.5k tecumseh ohh55 ohv, i have used m1 5w30 truck&sub since twenty hours. Has just over 1500hrs on her, 100-150hr oci's, no oil burned yet. It is ran under 80%+ load.

Onan twin powered 4.5k tv gen, last 1000hrs, 15w40 (same as chassis engine oil) . Not a problem yet.

Ken

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
My Briggs manual says 10 - 30.

Yes, but that 10W-30 was before the zinc additive was reduced to the lower level used in engine oils now days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the still good oils for OPE (out door power equipment such as a generator or a lawn mower) are:

Shell Rotella T5 15W-40 (for summer), Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 (for all seasons), Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck 0W-40(for all seasons), Castrol 0W-30 european formula made in germany (for all seasons), and diesel oils such as Delvac 1300.

Shell Rotella is available at Wall-Mart and many auto stores.

Mobil Turbo Diesel Truck is available at Advance Auto Parts.

Castrol 0W-30 is available at Pep-Boys and Auto Zone Auto Parts.

Delvac is available at Peb-Boys and many other stores.

For the summer Shell Rotella T5 15W-40 is probably the lowest cost.

For all seasons Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 is probably the lowest cost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motorcycle oils and ATV oils would also be a good oil for OPE. Most Pep-Boys have a separate shelf of oils for motorcycles and ATVs.

Amsoil 4-Stroke is for OPE type of engine.

Quote:
Rotella RT5 10W-30 is not JASO-MA rated, and there fore I would not use it in an air cooled engine
JASO-MA is the wet clutch spec. It has nothing to do with air cooled engines. JASO 4T is the motorcycle four-stroke engine spec for both air cooled and water cooled motorcycles.

In any case, any of the diesel engine oils should be good. My 12 hp chipper requires straight 30 wt. Delo works great. My Honda generator, mower, & string trimmer require 10W-30, although I use 5W-30 in the generator for cold winter use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back