New FJ Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago I got a 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser. It came with the well reviewed 0w-20 oil. Toyota says 10,000 to the first oil change. I think the oil probably has a robust enough add-pack but I wonder if it is such a good idea for the first oil change. I have always done oil changes early for the first time subscrbing to flushing out break-in contaminates theory. I am looking for opinions.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Changing it early won't hurt. There will still be some higher wear-metal numbers in that first batch of oil from the final break-in of the motor when you started driving it.

Consider changing the differential(s) oil early as well, perhaps around 15-20k miles. I believe some 2007-2008 FJs had issues with differentials blowing up (IIRC, due to improperly specified fluid?) and it's no doubt resolved by now, but it never hurts to remove break-in wear.
smile.gif

Change early at 4-5k miles with Toyota 0W20, then have dealer change oil at 10k miles, you have free maintenance(oil change) for 20k miles ?

Consider also, what's recommended for the FJ Cruiser downunder.

MOBIL 1 5W-30
or MOBIL SUPER 2000 5W-30
or MOBIL FORMULA S 5W-30

May also use MOBIL 1 0W-40, MOBIL SUPER 2000 X2 10W-40, MOBIL FORMULA S2 10W-40, MOBIL 1 5W-50, MOBIL SUPER 1000 X2 15W-40 or MOBIL SUPER 1000 20W-50

Diffs are 75W-85 OEM GL-5

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Change early at 4-5k miles with Toyota 0W20, then have dealer change oil at 10k miles, you have free maintenance(oil change) for 20k miles ?

+1. This is essentially what I did with the Honda. 50k in and zero consumption or issues.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed

+1. This is essentially what I did with the Honda. 50k in and zero consumption or issues.

I personally think 10,000 miles of having all those metalic bits splashing around, scraping the internals is wrong.

I guess todays engines are built so well that it really doesn't matter much as the engine will outlast the rest of the car anyway but, if you're trying to improve engine health by removing those contaminants, I'd do it earlier if it was my car.

I did both my Civics and 98 Camry V6 within 1-2,000 miles.

Just got done with the first change. 2500 miles, probably a bit early, but it makes me feel better. Thank you for the responses.

Dave

I ran my wifes 2010 4 runner to 10k and my 2010 FJ cruiser to a year at 7500 miles on factory fill.

The FJ just got another oil change when I took it in for a 10k mile service (expected only a tire rotation due to very fresh oil but oh well) That oil only had 2500 miles and 5-6 months on it.
Wifes 4 runner has a little over 25k on it and has had 10k oil changes. No issues.
in the end it is the owner's choice. I have had many vehicles that I scrutinized with UOA's from new and to tell the truth I have no issue with going long on initial fill or the 0w20.

Enjoy the new FJ. Mine's a Trail Teams and I just added a Gobi rack. It's a great vehicle in the mountains where I live.

Go at least 3K before changing out the FF. Probably the best bet is 5K then again do a OCI at 10K... The FF is loaded with Moly, etc and is need for breakin.... The oil filter will filter out anything that could be bad for the engine.

I am hearing on other vehicle boards that some guys are getting startup knocking and they did early FF drains. Guys are wondering if it is due to the early 1K, etc FF drains... Your choice. I would wait.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Unearthed

I personally think 10,000 miles of having all those metalic bits splashing around, scraping the internals is wrong.

I guess todays engines are built so well that it really doesn't matter much as the engine will outlast the rest of the car anyway but, if you're trying to improve engine health by removing those contaminants, I'd do it earlier if it was my car.

I did both my Civics and 98 Camry V6 within 1-2,000 miles.

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif
I'd dump it at 1000 miles, or sooner if it was mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back