New EPA coal regs = $180 billion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, did not know that. What I do find interesting i staht these new regs are aimed mostly at black coal firing plants, not brown-coal plants, which are dirtier. Does not make sense to me.

I wish I could find an map overlap to see if there is a correlation between affect states and red/blue states.

PS this is NOT a political comment, but a legitimate question.

Funny, if you look downunder.

The new rules that are about to be introduced give the nastiest of the brown coalers a free pass to the front of the queue.

Originally Posted By: LTVibe

New EPA rule could lead to rolling blackouts in Texas

Quote:
...the industry's standard time frame for installing emission controls is several years, but the rule requires compliance in six months. So Luminant, a subsidiary of Energy Future Holdings, has said it may have to shut down some coal-fired power plants in East Texas.

An update:

Two East Texas coal power plants to be idled to meet emissions limits

Quote:
Luminant, the Dallas-based electricity generator that has protested federal regulators' timetable to curtail emissions from its coal-fired plants, said Monday it will idle two of those facilities and stop mining Texas lignite at some locations by the end of the year, costing about 500 jobs.

Luminant said it took the actions to prepare to meet the Environmental Protection Agency's Cross-State Air Pollution Rule, which requires electricity generators in 27 states to cut emissions by Jan. 1, a deadline CEO David Campbell called "unrealistic."

Quote:
But what Ive seen of your commentary, the government should have never done GPS.

GPS was a military project, for use by the military. It was intentionally degraded for all other users until 2000. This was not a simple consumer product.

And it would appear that the FCC is pushing hard to have that companies' request for more bandwidth passed, GPS problems and all. Including trying to influence a General's testimony on the matter. How strange?

Quote:
If air traffic controllers are necessary, then privatizing them is as silly as anything Ive ever seen.

Seems to be working well for the Canadians. Profit is a motivation to use resources efficiently. Since government's have no such motivation, they have no reason to us resources efficiently. Up until ~10 years ago, the government run FAA was still using vacuum tubes in their systems. I assume this is the kind of innovation and efficiency that is desirable to you?

What are the regulations that direct your decisions on government grants?

Quote:
“After we got the loan guarantee, they were just spending money left and right,” said former Solyndra engineer Lindsey Eastburn. “Because we were doing well, nobody cared. Because of that infusion of money, it made people sloppy.”

And:
Quote:
Lobbying expenditures of $160,000 a year in 2008 and 2009 accelerated as Solyndra’s financial and political troubles mounted. By 2010, such spending had grown to $550,000. So far this year, Solyndra has reported spending $220,000, but that number will grow as more reports filter in.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/s...C3lK_print.html
Government assigns resources for political purposes (green jobs, sustainability...), not economic ones. They got their free money from the government and didn't have any fear of having to repay it. That is why central planning must fail, and always has.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Profit is a motivation to use resources efficiently.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...we've been through that before haven't we ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Profit is a motivation to use resources efficiently.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...we've been through that before haven't we ?

Soooo....the money that you get from working (profit) is spent willy nilly without forethought? Or do you try to make smart decisions with it?

Now, does your superior or work mates (because we all know that you do
cool.gif
) spend the company's money with the same forethought as they do their own?

You know that the resource that we discussed previously was coal, and surely you recall that it is one resource that is being used less efficiently due to competition...in Oz, which you brought up at the time.

Weird science: EPA Inspector General calls greenhouse-gas regulatory process flawed

Quote:
The report — from the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) of the EPA — reveals that the scientific basis, on which the administration’s endangerment finding for greenhouse gases hinged, violated the EPA’s own peer review procedure.

In a report released Wednesday the inspector general found that the EPA failed to follow the Data Quality Act and its own peer review process when it issued the determination that greenhouse gases cause harm to “public health and welfare.”

Originally Posted By: LTVibe

Weird science: EPA Inspector General calls greenhouse-gas regulatory process flawed

Quote:
The report — from the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) of the EPA — reveals that the scientific basis, on which the administration’s endangerment finding for greenhouse gases hinged, violated the EPA’s own peer review procedure.

In a report released Wednesday the inspector general found that the EPA failed to follow the Data Quality Act and its own peer review process when it issued the determination that greenhouse gases cause harm to “public health and welfare.”

You mean the wack jobs at the EPA didn't follow.....government regulations? I wonder how many people will get fired over this? I'll not hold my breath.

You know that the resource that we discussed previously was coal, and surely you recall that it is one resource that is being used less efficiently due to competition...in Oz, which you brought up at the time.

Yes, I recall. I think I also questioned you about a little concept called diminishing returns? Is double the price worth a 10% increase in efficiency? The market says no.

Government is free to say yes because they are not the one's paying the bills.

So "the most efficient" way of utilising resources comes with self defined caveats as to what's efficient ?

How convenient.

So "the most efficient" way of utilising resources comes with self defined caveats as to what's efficient ?

How convenient.

You are arbitrarily selecting ONE economic input and declaring that market solutions don't work. This is the classic fallacy of central planning.

Seems to be working well for the Canadians. Profit is a motivation to use resources efficiently. Since government's have no such motivation, they have no reason to us resources efficiently. Up until ~10 years ago, the government run FAA was still using vacuum tubes in their systems. I assume this is the kind of innovation and efficiency that is desirable to you?

If the FAA spent millions redesigning a system to work with the latest, you call them wasting the money because it was working fine as is.

If they don't spend the money and keep using those vacuum tube, you call them inefficient and lack of innovation.

So, it seems like you just have an axe to grind regardless of what they do. BTW, have you figured out what were the vacuum tubes are for? I'm sure you can buy a substitute transistor off Bestbuy and it would plug right in.

Quote:
The FAA ultimately declared that $1.5 billion worth of hardware and software out of the $2.6 billion spent was useless.

Quote:
What went wrong? Just about everything. Here's how the General Accounting Office put it: "FAA did not recognize the technical complexity of the effort, realistically estimate the resources required, adequately oversee its contractors' activities, or effectively control system requirements."

http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Projects-Processes/The-Ugly-History-of-Tool-Development-at-the-FAA/

The FAA is one of the most incompetent agencies in the government. They have no reason to be otherwise.

My plan if I was able to be in charge:
1. Defund EPA.
2. Declare lawsuits to stop or obstruct power projects, new factories, chemical plants, etc... VOID!
3. Encourage coal usage, as we need afforable power now more than ever.
4. Encourage all forms of domestic production of energy products, gas, oil, coal. Alternative "green" energy not to receive any public subsidies, including corn ethanol.
5. VOID all trade agreements, do place large tarrifs on china, and change tax code to start rewarding domestic manufacturing.

Originally Posted By: occity79
Alternative "green" energy not to receive any public subsidies, including corn ethanol.

Guess that includes reducing the military presence in the M.E. as well ?

Originally Posted By: occity79
change tax code to start rewarding domestic manufacturing.

Hang on a second, isn't that a subsidy ? (see first quote)

Yup, I liked the old days better. A brown cloud hanging over Chicago and tears in your eyes when you arrived. Open Sewage draining across my fathers land, wife (pediatrics) caring for lead paint poisoned children, factories dumping their chemicals into the river. Energy guzzling refrigerators that cost 4X to run that modern regulated ones do.... and the new ones cost less to much less to purchase.....

And, now that phone robodialers are cheap to buy and run, lets get rid of do-not-call regulations, let your phone ring all day long... rendering it useless, and all stock market employees should be able to back-date their trades (like they did until caught) to make themselves wealthy at our expense. Heck, Madoff's Ponzi scheme should have been encouraged, more "wealth creators" that should not be taxed....

Endless examples abound, heck lets get rid of government, we can all make our living by plundering others, like in Somalia!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back