New Dodge 392 Hemi Takes 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, wonder if due to the reported piston skirt problems that arose in development. This makes the fourth different "standard" weight spec for the 3G hemi. First it was 5W30. Then with VVT and MDS, 5W20. SRT 0W40. Now 5W40.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger/specifications.html

The 392 Hemi takes 5W-40 synthetic oil, an unusual requirement. It has pushrod-activated overhead valves (sodium filled exhaust, hollow-stem intake), with 16 conventional hydraulic lifters using roller tips. Fuel injection is returnless; the automatic cuts the fuel supply when coasting when certain conditions are met. The block is a deep-skirt, cast iron design with cross-bolted main bearing caps and aluminum alloy heads. Oil capacity is 7 quarts, coolant is 14 quarters; bore and stroke is 4.09 x 3.72 inches.Read more at http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger/specifications.html?ktrack=kcplink

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Wait til the thin guys hear about this!!

The 392 is supposed to take the 40w isn't it? They are the bored and stroked version. I don't think you can find a better solution than the Rotella T6

News flash: so how about all of us that already run 5w40 in our old lead sleds,,I guess Dodge is a slow learner,lol. PS, by now in America we should be building virtually maintenance free engines and trannys,,how come we dont??? The parts stores would go out of business,lol, IMHO

The 370 (6.1) SRT8 motor has always called for 0W-40, so it's really a no change situation guys.

And this engine has one of the flattest N/A torque curves anyone has ever seen. TONS of low rpm torque!

Unfortunately, it'll need all of it to move that porky Challenger! If they had just lost a few hundred pounds the car would compete with anything on the road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Wait til the thin guys hear about this!!

?? Doesn't some of the late model HP Ford engines call for a xw-50 grade oil? Doesn't Ferrari use a 60 grade in some applications?

The ONLY reason Dodge is spec this oil is because they have had numerous complaints from owners of the Hemi engines from a noise in the engines. This noise is caused by the oils jets for the pistons "fluttering" as Dodge has put it. It is not a durability issue and the jets are needed in this application so Dodge determined that a 40wt oil "masked" the noise quite well. Naturally, a 5W40 will cover all temps that may be found in the continental US. I like 5W40 oils and use them in some of my motors but it ain't no step up in wear protection as opposed to a good 20wt or 30wt.

T6 all the waayyy!!!

shoot if i had the small hemi in a pickup i would being using T6 anyway.. the again I prefer diesel.. oh wait T6 again.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
The ONLY reason Dodge is spec this oil is because they have had numerous complaints from owners of the Hemi engines from a noise in the engines. This noise is caused by the oils jets for the pistons "fluttering" as Dodge has put it. It is not a durability issue and the jets are needed in this application so Dodge determined that a 40wt oil "masked" the noise quite well. Naturally, a 5W40 will cover all temps that may be found in the continental US. I like 5W40 oils and use them in some of my motors but it ain't no step up in wear protection as opposed to a good 20wt or 30wt.

Sorry. You should read the TSB.

As stated earlier the standard oil for SRT8 with the 6.1 (370) is 0w-40 and is imprinted right on the filler cap. There are no oil squirters in the 5.7 block.

A TSB was issued for warmer climates to allow 15W-50 oil to help with what is officially referred to as "oil squirter whine". It sounds just like a bad PS pump or an idler pulley going south. Not every engine does it, mine has since new. 15W-50 oil only changes the noise, it does not eliminate it in my motor.

Note that this new 392 (6.4) is not a development of the 6.1. It is based on the 5.7 Hemi. So no more oil squirters. Thus no noise.

And note: The engine reportedly cannot pass durability testing at 525 horsepower, due to piston skirt issues when tested near overheat conditions. (Durability testing reportedly requires 200,000 miles MTBF and extensive testing under extreme conditions.)Read more at http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html?ktrack=kcplink

This means that the engine is detuned for durability. That test is done at 95th percent, meaning only 5% of owners would be more abusive over 200K miles! Final HP came in at 470.

This will be a durable engine.

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Interesting, wonder if due to the reported piston skirt problems that arose in development. This makes the fourth different "standard" weight spec for the 3G hemi.

Is that 3rd or 4th gen hemi?

Thanks for all the input folks. I just double checked both the 2012 User's Guide and the Owner's Manual by downloading the latest version of both from the Dodge web site and the guide still shows 5w-40 and the manual 0w-40 so I am just going to probably go with what is available/on sale at the time. I know the local PepBoys has the M1 0w-40 and I'm gonna check the Advance Auto Parts and AutoZones to see if they have the PU 5w-40.

The User Guide doesn't specify Euro 5w-40 or not, just an API Certified SAE 5w-40

If it requires a 5W-40 synthetic, Valvoline Synpower would be a slam dunk for me.

SYNPOWER5W-40.jpg

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Is that 3rd or 4th gen hemi?

I think the new Eagle VVT 5.7 has to be considered a new design. It has a TON of different parts in it.

Really the 392 is just a derivative of the 5.7 Eagle. Still has all the gas saving stuff and everything. But like all things SRT it will be low production numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back