New Car, New Oil; 2012 Hyundai Veloster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zac
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Stop and go traffic for hours at a time is very hard on oil because the oil temperature can be above 220-230F, 5W30 is a better choice than 5W20.

Would 10W30 be wise or is that too much stress on the engine for cold starts?

For your engine and your driving conditions I would go with M1 0W40, it is thin enough for sub-zero cold start and thick enough for 2-3 hours stop and go.

They use and recommend Quaker State. Isn't Penzoil and Quaker State under the same parent Shell company?

The brand recommendation is pure marketing. I'm sure SOPUS paid Hyundai to recommend Quaker State, or they struck some kind of deal.

To maintain a warranty, companies can't require you to use a specific brand of parts or products unless they provide them for free. There are simpler descriptions, but this is taken from a Wikipedia article.

Quote:
Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.

They can require that you use oil that meets certain specs. I'm sure your owner's manual says you have to use API approved oil that meets GF-5, or whatever.

For more info, google Magnuson–Moss Act

Synthetic 5W-30, 7.5k OCI until warranty is up, and then move it to 10k.

Engine will last as long as you want it to......

Thanks for all the advice! I guess since I have the 5W30 Penzoil Ultra and got it for really cheap I will give it a go and send a sample to Blackstone after 7,500 miles. If it doesn't look good, I'll give a few of the other oils listed here a shot. The factory oil is being changed right at about 4k. Would you send a sample of that first batch of oil to the factory for any reason? Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice! I guess since I have the 5W30 Penzoil Ultra and got it for really cheap I will give it a go and send a sample to Blackstone after 7,500 miles. If it doesn't look good, I'll give a few of the other oils listed here a shot. The factory oil is being changed right at about 4k. Would you send a sample of that first batch of oil to the factory for any reason? Thanks!

Personally, I think that oil (in that weight) is an excellent choice for your engine/driving habits, particularly for the price (it's 22.00/5 qt around here).

I don't think I'd bother sampling the factory fill, and even the first couple of UOA's will have higher wear metals as the engine breaks in. IOW, you won't learn much about the wear metals from the first couple of UOA's. Still, on that engine I think you'd be wise to do UOA after 7.5k to check on fuel in the oil and shear rates, since that's a DI engine about which little is known.

I use Bosch Distance plus filters on my sonata and it sounds good, but the Hyundai filter is a good deal as well...dont go with any cheap filters as they will make the car chatter more. QSUD is slightly cheaper and also a good oil to keep in mind if the Penzzoil gets too expensive.

So the dealership made a bloop. They put on a Hyundai filter with a bad gasket...they say time to time that happens (which doesn't have me too excited). So by the time I got home, about 1 qt of Penzoil Ultra spewed all over my drive way and the road. So I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the filter and (supposedly) replaced it with 5W30 Penzoil Ultra. They did have their supplier come by and told me that is where they ordered it from. They seem very reputable and I doubt they would lie about it although is there any way that a UOA will be able to verify the oil they used was Ultra? I told them I was planning on a LDI of about 7,500 so I doubt they would just fill it with dino and tell me they used Ultra.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Another reason to love your stealership.

You do know they would lie to their own Mom if they could make a buck doing it?

Agreed. Out of all dealerships in the world, 100% of them will lie to you to make a buck somewhere.

OP, since you do a lot of stop and go, I would opt for 30wt. PU 5w-30 or M1 AFE 0w-30. If you see majority of smooth hwy, then 20wt for better fuel economy.

So I am coming up on a 7500 mile drain interval on the Pennzoil Ultra with a total mileage of 11.5k. Should I get a UOA on this one or wait until the next given how new the engine is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back