New Camera Decision - Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX9V

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it's (past) time for a new camera. My Nikon Coolpix 5700 was bought in 2004. It was a good camera in its day. Archived cnet review & specifications

At the top of my replacement list is the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX9V for $319 (BTW about half of what the Nikon cost). It features a 16X zoom, 16 megapixel (not that the # really has much weight), BSI CMOS image sensor, & 1080 video at 60fps. I like the high zoom. For more information on the image sensor, see the CNet article BSI CMOS sensors explained The Li-ion battery is recharged in the camera (no external battery charger) which seems like a con.

Also on the list is Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX100V with a 30X zoom for ~ $450. However, it's ~ $130 more but not much of a return for me, except the aforementioned zoom. Same in-camera battery charging as the HX9V.

I entertained the notion of a subcompact such as the Canon Powershot S95 & even used it one weekend at an art museum to see how I liked the simplicity & size of a subcompact P&S. It was good, but not worth more money (~$40) than the Sony HX9V.

I've also considered the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 but at $448 it's $130 more than the Sony HX9V. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 is $280 so $40 cheaper than the Sony HX9V but the Sony seems to be more camera, certainly delivering more than $40 of features.

Thoughts? Am I missing something to think that the Sony HX9V at $319 is the best option?

Remember the less zoom, the sharper the photo and faster the lens.

I have a g12, same as the s95 but with more grunt and love it to death.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Thoughts? Am I missing something to think that the Sony HX9V at $319 is the best option?

If you're considering HX9V, you may want to read this comparo, if you haven't already.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q311travelzoomgrouptest/

There appear to be better alternatives out there.

By the way, the wife uses the HX5 which is the 2010 version of HX9 from what I understand. Nice camera as far as point-and-shoot cameras go. Sometimes it defaults to a fairly high ISO value, but that's the price you pay if you want to avoid blurry photos when using a tiny lens. For everyday shooting, it's great. Good color reproduction in auto mode, too.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
The Li-ion battery is recharged in the camera (no external battery charger) which seems like a con.

Yeah, that's a bummer. Can't run around taking pics while a backup battery is charging. I'm sure you can buy an external charger, but that's extra $$ obviously.

My rule of thumb is always the image sensor size, the bigger the better. I'd stick with something that is at least 1/1.6" instead of the typical 1/2.3" to 1/2.5".

Anything above 8MP are usually noise anyways.

Last edited:
If you are on a budget, I would seriously consider an Olympus Pen 4/3rds camera HUGE image sensor, interchangable lenses (although many don't bother with anything other than kit lens)

The Pen 2&3 eclipsed it so you can find a new one around $319 on clearence

Again image sensor is massive compared to the point and shoots -

I have one and I can take pics that look about as good as my Canon 7d. It also has a full metal body and feels quite solid.
When I travel to India again, I may just leave the 7D at home...

I'd get the HX100V and not even think about it. I've got the previous version of Sony's DSC Super-zoom. It's very similar to the HX100V but only 8MP. I've been VERY satisfied with mine and hope someday soon to be able to get the newest version. I LOVE the huge zoom lense and ease of use of these cameras. They are actually very simple yet can do so much. I used to be an SLR kind of guy but no more. I find my creativity is allowed to be better expressed with a zoom like that in the fact that I'm not having to carry around two or three lenses. Very capable camera and unless you are a pro it truly works very well in 98% of whatever it is you want to do.

I have the Canon SX230HS. It has been a great camera. Great Lowlight performance for a small camera and a decent zoom. It also has a CMOS sensor.

one thing that people dont understand while putting too much consideration for the zoom ability of a point and shoot is that unless you are going to use all that zoom in full bright daylight its of no practical use. Because the little flash cannot throw enough light that far. Also, the small lens will close the aperture in a hurry as you move up the zoom level, and that reduces the amount of light going to the sensor to begin with.
Now if you had a large lens (slr) that can stay wide open at full zoom and big flash sitting on top then yeah you mgiht be able to make more use of the 10x zoom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
one thing that people dont understand while putting too much consideration for the zoom ability of a point and shoot is that unless you are going to use all that zoom in full bright daylight its of no practical use. Because the little flash cannot throw enough light that far. Also, the small lens will close the aperture in a hurry as you move up the zoom level, and that reduces the amount of light going to the sensor to begin with.
Now if you had a large lens (slr) that can stay wide open at full zoom and big flash sitting on top then yeah you mgiht be able to make more use of the 10x zoom.

My Sony zoom (DSC-H9 15x zoom) functions very well in all the light conditions I've asked it to do. I suppose if I was attempting to zoom in on a subject in nearly dark conditions it would have an issue. Most zoomed photo's that I would take would not be of much value to me in such conditions however. In truth it's not going to be up to the complete capability of an SLR in lense selection and aperture. But then an SLR is not capable of the ease, simplicity, and versatility of what the Sony delivers on....unless you carry at least three lenses around with you. Even the macro ability of the Sony is pretty darn good considering it's not an SLR. Even more importantly....the price vs. capability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Why would you be using flash when zoomed at 10X or over???

people do and expect the picture to come out clear. for example, at a concert or a stage performance they would zoom in from far out and then expect the picture to come out bright like it would when its taken from the front rows and not using as much zoom.

Last edited:
QuattroPete,

Thanks for that link as my next step was to hone in on the "travel zoom" cameras since that is what I think that I want. Once I have that comparison done, & almost do, I'll be able to make a final decision. So far I've looked at the Nikon Coolpix S9100 & Canon Powershot SX230 HS & prefer the Sony. The Pansonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 is what I'm comparing now & then it will be on to the Samsung WB10. I thought I might like a touchscreen but the one on the Panasonic is not all that. I expect the one on the Samsung to be better. However, I don't think the Samsung will take as good of pictures in low light which is also something that I really want.

BTW, I like the zoom at sporting events, typically road racing which is in daylight hours (although I would like to go to a 24 or 12-hr race it's outside the scope here).

I've had good luck with Casio cameras.

One thing to remember about high megapixel count is that once you start hitting the 12+ megapixel range, software/hardware tricks are used to get those higher ranges.

My current Casio is 14MP but I have it set to take photos at 10MP. The photos turn out better at 10MP than at the highest resolution. I can't remember the reason behind this but I read a whitepaper that talks about why using the highest MP setting on a high res camera will often result in poorer quality pictures.

Also using the 10MP setting gives an average size photo of around 5MB versus 7MB+ using the 14MP setting.

I think the top three are

Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX9V
Nikon Coolpix S9100
Canon Powershot SX230HS

and which you get depends upon the features you are looking for the most. The Sony has the best video hands-down. The Sony & Canon are both great at low light conditions.
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 is next followed by the Pentax RZ10.

I'm going to get the Sony unless looking at them in the store throws me a curve.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Why would you be using flash when zoomed at 10X or over???

people do and expect the picture to come out clear. for example, at a concert or a stage performance they would zoom in from far out and then expect the picture to come out bright like it would when its taken from the front rows and not using as much zoom.

That's one of the funniest thing to watch. I was at a concert over the summer and there was this lady with a Canon dslr who kept trying to get pictures of the band and kept using the flash. It was funny to see the the frustration on her face when she looked at the results. I cranked up my ISO and got some good ones. I would have gave her a hint if she and her daughter hadn't cut in front of us.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

My Sony zoom (DSC-H9 15x zoom) functions very well in all the light conditions I've asked it to do. I suppose if I was attempting to zoom in on a subject in nearly dark conditions it would have an issue. Most zoomed photo's that I would take would not be of much value to me in such conditions however. In truth it's not going to be up to the complete capability of an SLR in lense selection and aperture. But then an SLR is not capable of the ease, simplicity, and versatility of what the Sony delivers on....unless you carry at least three lenses around with you. Even the macro ability of the Sony is pretty darn good considering it's not an SLR. Even more importantly....the price vs. capability.

That's why I have a compact digital for point-and-shoot situations and a DSLR and film SLRs for creating a picture. I can do a lot with the 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses. And there are lenses that cover a range that most people use and it makes having one lens possible. It's so much more versatile and the pictures at high-ISO are much more usable. Not to mention all the things you can do with prime lenses. Just my
49.gif

Last edited:
Small sensor like those 1/2.3" - 1/2.5" may work well in high ISO in low light condition (with lots of noise filtering), but they still fall flat in the dynamic range (shadow and bright sun).

I looked, it seems like they stopped making $300 1/1.6" camera. So glad I got a discontinued Fuji F200EXR when they were still available.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Small sensor like those 1/2.3" - 1/2.5" may work well in high ISO in low light condition (with lots of noise filtering), but they still fall flat in the dynamic range (shadow and bright sun).

Hear that. My next camera is definitely going to have a large sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back