New Borla exhaust for the Track Pack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

LOL! Yeah, Getrag is a world class gearbox manufacturer. I think the issue here is, as you noted, COO. They could very easily have made the unit state-side or in Germany.

I'd say I don't know what Ford was thinking but I think we all know what Ford was thinking
frown.gif
$$$$$$$$$

I wonder how many transmissions they have had to warranty and how many unhappy customers they have had because they wanted to "save money".

Plenty if the posts on the forums are an indication. Hopefully Ford will learn. Anybody know what tranny the BOSS 302 got?

Plenty if the posts on the forums are an indication. Hopefully Ford will learn. Anybody know what tranny the BOSS 302 got?

Exact same one. One of my friends has a Laguna Seca and his uses the same p/n as mine.

I'd say I don't know what Ford was thinking but I think we all know what Ford was thinking
frown.gif
$$$$$$$$$

Which is exactly what they should be thinking. The main draw of the Mustang is that you can get into a car packing serious performance for a really low price.

That I can find a number of brand new, 420 horsepower coupes that look so good for under $30k is something that Ford should be applauded for. That is incredible.

There's a pretty wide range of reasons that I can imagine as to why they selected the transmission they did, and many of those reasons may have been out of Ford's direct control.

I get that we can all point to certain individual components on our cars and say "I'd have paid more for a better version of that." But at the same time, the entire auto enthusiast world would scream bloody murder if the cost of a Mustang inflated by thousands of dollars at every refresh.

Originally Posted By: Mykl

frown.gif
$$$$$$$$$

Which is exactly what they should be thinking. The main draw of the Mustang is that you can get into a car packing serious performance for a really low price.

That I can find a number of brand new, 420 horsepower coupes that look so good for under $30k is something that Ford should be applauded for. That is incredible.

Except that they've used the T-56 in the past, which is a bulletproof gearbox and would have worked fine in this application.

Also, the BOSS 302, which from above, apparently came with the same gearbox should have been fitted with the same one as the GT500, which of course is problem-free
smirk.gif
The BOSS 302 is hardly a "really low price" car.

The Mustang has ALWAYS had an American gearbox for its manual version. The Automatics were usually in-house units manufactured by Ford directly. The Fox body cars with the 5spd had the Borg Warner T5, which then in the "jellybean" SN95 cars in 1996 when they got the 4.6L, was replaced by the T-45 IIRC. Later, the Cobra got the T-56 whilst the "regular" Mustang got the updated version of what is basically the same transmission they had previously (the T-45), the TR-3650.

The Mustang has a TRADITION of having a generally pretty decent American gearbox in it. This foray into the land of Chinese units has been problematic to say the least and I would hope this will encourage Ford to go back to its more traditional (not to mention successful) roots with the latest refresh.

Also of note is that the Mustang's direct competition, the Camaro, uses the Tremec T-56. There is no reason Ford can't do the same with the Mustang. The price point the car is offered at is irrelevant, if GM can do it with the Camaro there is literally no reason that Ford cannot fit the Mustang with the same quality American gearbox that has been a roaring success in everything from their own Terminator Cobra to the bloody Dodge Viper. This is an attempt to pad the bottom line a bit more and the result is a unit that has had huge warranty issues and is a turn-off for the guys buying them.

Except that they've used the T-56 in the past, which is a bulletproof gearbox and would have worked fine in this application.

Also, the BOSS 302, which from above, apparently came with the same gearbox should have been fitted with the same one as the GT500, which of course is problem-free
smirk.gif
The BOSS 302 is hardly a "really low price" car.

The Mustang has ALWAYS had an American gearbox for its manual version. The Automatics were usually in-house units manufactured by Ford directly. The Fox body cars with the 5spd had the Borg Warner T5, which then in the "jellybean" SN95 cars in 1996 when they got the 4.6L, was replaced by the T-45 IIRC. Later, the Cobra got the T-56 whilst the "regular" Mustang got the updated version of what is basically the same transmission they had previously (the T-45), the TR-3650.

The Mustang has a TRADITION of having a generally pretty decent American gearbox in it. This foray into the land of Chinese units has been problematic to say the least and I would hope this will encourage Ford to go back to its more traditional (not to mention successful) roots with the latest refresh.

Also of note is that the Mustang's direct competition, the Camaro, uses the Tremec T-56. There is no reason Ford can't do the same with the Mustang. The price point the car is offered at is irrelevant, if GM can do it with the Camaro there is literally no reason that Ford cannot fit the Mustang with the same quality American gearbox that has been a roaring success in everything from their own Terminator Cobra to the bloody Dodge Viper. This is an attempt to pad the bottom line a bit more and the result is a unit that has had huge warranty issues and is a turn-off for the guys buying them.

It's a tradition that the Mustang gearbox is made in America, but it in your eyes it would have been ok to source the part in Germany but not in China? From the standpoint that you may feel that Germans make better mechanical devices this makes sense, as the Germans have a reputation for that. But from the standpoint that it's "tradition" to source the Mustang's gearbox in the USA it's just as bad as China.

You say "there is no reason" like you were sitting in the room when the decisions were being made. Clearly there was a reason, even if we'll never know what it actually was.

Ford tried to save a couple of bucks like every other manufacture.

Heck look at the SRT Hellcat its built by an Italian company headquartered in London, it uses a ZF gearbox, and everything else underneath it is pretty much old Mercedes parts.

Welcome to manufacturing in the 21st century. GM is the last American company standing that uses a lot of their own stuff, but again they outsource a ton as well. The Camry is more American than the new Silverado/GMC's.

It's a tradition that the Mustang gearbox is made in America,

Yes, which is why they should have used the T-56, which is a USA-made Tremec unit that is also in the Camaro.

Quote:
but it in your eyes it would have been ok to source the part in Germany but not in China? From the standpoint that you may feel that Germans make better mechanical devices this makes sense, as the Germans have a reputation for that. But from the standpoint that it's "tradition" to source the Mustang's gearbox in the USA it's just as bad as China.

I don't think they would have had the issues they are having with the unit if it was a German unit. So if they just "had to go Getrag" they would have got a better piece of equipment from Germany. That said, I still think they should have gone with the Tremec unit, which keeps with tradition and it also happens to be known as being bulletproof. And no, sourcing from China is not the same as sourcing from another first world nation like Germany, Canada, the UK, France....etc. But we don't need to get into that in this thread.

Quote:
You say "there is no reason" like you were sitting in the room when the decisions were being made. Clearly there was a reason, even if we'll never know what it actually was.

Oh come on, get off your high horse. My quote in entirety was using the Mustang's DIRECT COMPETITION, which uses the superior Tremec gearbox, as a qualifier for that statement. Sure, in a vacuum it looks ridiculous, but that statement wasn't made without being qualified, it was made in reference to Ford using that transmission in the past in several cars and the Mustang's competition from GM, sold at a similar price-point, also using it. IN THAT CONTEXT, there is no reason they COULD NOT use the T-56. They CHOSE to not use the T-56 because it likely cost a few dollars more than the Chinese unit. HOWEVER, given the numerous issues they've had with the Chinese unit, the replacements, warranty come-backs....etc, I'm thinking that perhaps the savings weren't what the bean counters had anticipated them to be. In fact, this venture into the land of Chinese gearboxes may have COST Ford money, versus using the US-sourced unit of known quality, and a product the Engineers working on the car were already experienced with along with the dealership tech departments....etc.

Auto makers all have a history of making decisions that seem idiotic to the end user but you know were made by somebody who was able to spin the cost savings in such a way that it looked good on paper. GM's recent ignition switch debacle, Ford's choice of stud material for the exhaust studs on the Modular, the choice of the number of threads in the heads for the 4.6L, 5.4L and 6.8L 2V engines, GM's choice of gasket material that resulted in the Dexcool fiasco, Toyota's frame situation with the Tacoma/Tundra, Ford's rear axle situation with the Windstar....etc. The list is extensive. Ultimately, these cost saving endeavours didn't end up saving money, they COST these companies money because the cheapened part failed and the cost of replacement, to have the revised part produced, installed, the recall performed....etc, was significant. Have you ever changed a head on an F-150 with the 5.4L? Do you know how much book time that is? Do you know the training necessary for the tech to be able to do the job? Do you know how much it costs to manufacture new cylinder heads? It is a heck of a lot more than the few dollars it would have cost to make the deck of the head a bit thicker to allow the same self-center drop-tighten line process for the plugs while increasing the number of threads to beyond 3.

Keep in mind also that market response, particularly to a car like the Mustang, is a big issue when something goes bad. The Mustang and Camaro both have extensive aftermarket followings and part of that ties into your earlier point about them both being a great performance bargain at their price point. HOWEVER, if Ford saddles the Mustang (pardon the pun) with an undesirable gearbox, for somebody on the line who is "into the scene", it is likely to push them into the GM camp and result in a Camaro sale. I know as a Mustang enthusiast, one who has wrenched on my fair share of them, that this is a big turn off for people. This is also why there are swap kits being sold to fit other gearboxes to the car! The aftermarket responds to cater to the community and for those that want the Mustang but want a better gearbox, it can be done. It shouldn't have to be however and it is a significant added expense that the end user/enthusiast shouldn't be on the hook for.

So besides the cost of the recalls, tech training, warranty work...etc one also has to look at the impact on sales.

Ultimately, what may seem like it is going to boost the profit on a vehicle in the boardroom can turn into the opposite situation once the product is out there. And it isn't like Mustangs are driven gently by many of the owners either. Catering to the demographic, making the cars DURABLE, has also been part of its history, which is also why it is surprising that they'd cheapen out on a crucial driveline component when the option to use a product they KNEW they would NOT have problems with was available.

I don't think they would have had the issues they are having with the unit if it was a German unit. So if they just "had to go Getrag" they would have got a better piece of equipment from Germany. That said, I still think they should have gone with the Tremec unit, which keeps with tradition and it also happens to be known as being bulletproof. And no, sourcing from China is not the same as sourcing from another first world nation like Germany, Canada, the UK, France....etc. But we don't need to get into that in this thread.

So nothing bad or unreliable has ever come out of Germany?

Oh come on, get off your high horse. My quote in entirety was using the Mustang's DIRECT COMPETITION, which uses the superior Tremec gearbox, as a qualifier for that statement. Sure, in a vacuum it looks ridiculous, but that statement wasn't made without being qualified, it was made in reference to Ford using that transmission in the past in several cars and the Mustang's competition from GM, sold at a similar price-point, also using it. IN THAT CONTEXT, there is no reason they COULD NOT use the T-56. They CHOSE to not use the T-56 because it likely cost a few dollars more than the Chinese unit. HOWEVER, given the numerous issues they've had with the Chinese unit, the replacements, warranty come-backs....etc, I'm thinking that perhaps the savings weren't what the bean counters had anticipated them to be. In fact, this venture into the land of Chinese gearboxes may have COST Ford money, versus using the US-sourced unit of known quality, and a product the Engineers working on the car were already experienced with along with the dealership tech departments....etc.

Auto makers all have a history of making decisions that seem idiotic to the end user but you know were made by somebody who was able to spin the cost savings in such a way that it looked good on paper. GM's recent ignition switch debacle, Ford's choice of stud material for the exhaust studs on the Modular, the choice of the number of threads in the heads for the 4.6L, 5.4L and 6.8L 2V engines, GM's choice of gasket material that resulted in the Dexcool fiasco, Toyota's frame situation with the Tacoma/Tundra, Ford's rear axle situation with the Windstar....etc. The list is extensive. Ultimately, these cost saving endeavours didn't end up saving money, they COST these companies money because the cheapened part failed and the cost of replacement, to have the revised part produced, installed, the recall performed....etc, was significant. Have you ever changed a head on an F-150 with the 5.4L? Do you know how much book time that is? Do you know the training necessary for the tech to be able to do the job? Do you know how much it costs to manufacture new cylinder heads? It is a heck of a lot more than the few dollars it would have cost to make the deck of the head a bit thicker to allow the same self-center drop-tighten line process for the plugs while increasing the number of threads to beyond 3.

Keep in mind also that market response, particularly to a car like the Mustang, is a big issue when something goes bad. The Mustang and Camaro both have extensive aftermarket followings and part of that ties into your earlier point about them both being a great performance bargain at their price point. HOWEVER, if Ford saddles the Mustang (pardon the pun) with an undesirable gearbox, for somebody on the line who is "into the scene", it is likely to push them into the GM camp and result in a Camaro sale. I know as a Mustang enthusiast, one who has wrenched on my fair share of them, that this is a big turn off for people. This is also why there are swap kits being sold to fit other gearboxes to the car! The aftermarket responds to cater to the community and for those that want the Mustang but want a better gearbox, it can be done. It shouldn't have to be however and it is a significant added expense that the end user/enthusiast shouldn't be on the hook for.

So besides the cost of the recalls, tech training, warranty work...etc one also has to look at the impact on sales.

Ultimately, what may seem like it is going to boost the profit on a vehicle in the boardroom can turn into the opposite situation once the product is out there. And it isn't like Mustangs are driven gently by many of the owners either. Catering to the demographic, making the cars DURABLE, has also been part of its history, which is also why it is surprising that they'd cheapen out on a crucial driveline component when the option to use a product they KNEW they would NOT have problems with was available.

All decisions regarding the design and manufacturer of any given car has to do with mechanical compatibility and engineering?

There are, literally, NO other possible reasons why they made the decisions they did?

So nothing bad or unreliable has ever come out of Germany?

Certainly, but most German Getrag transmissions, like the ones BMW has used and the one that is in my M5 have been reliable units, similar in nature to the T-56. Getrag has been building gearboxes in Germany for a very long time, similar to Borg-Warner/Tremec on this side of the pond.

I think you are just trying to find fault at this point since my statement did not in any way imply that the Germans never made anything unreliable (and you might want to go back and read your own quote that I responded to...), simply that it was less likely for there to be issues if it had been a Getrag unit sourced from Germany rather than the Chinese joint venture product that they ultimately ended up with.

And your own statement for the sake of keeping this entertaining:

From the standpoint that you may feel that Germans make better mechanical devices this makes sense, as the Germans have a reputation for that.

wink.gif

Quote:
All decisions regarding the design and manufacturer of any given car has to do with mechanical compatibility and engineering?

There are, literally, NO other possible reasons why they made the decisions they did?

OK guy, where are you going with this? I don't mind arguing with you until we are both blue in the face, keep that in mind. We both know the reason was likely cost. Ford wanted to save some money and so instead of using the T-56 or the GT500 gearbox they went with the less expensive Chinese product. All the sarcasm in the world isn't going to change the fact that there was already a mechanically superior product that Ford has a history with, that their competition is also using, and likely was actually cheaper in the long run than what they went with sitting there that they could have used. I think I made that abundantly clear in the section of my post that you responded to. Cost cutting isn't always productive in actually resulting in an increase in profit, sometimes that decision costs the manufacturer significantly more money than they planned on saving and that will likely ultimately be the case here.

Sometimes it works. Heck, I'm sure OFTEN it works. There are people paid to make those types of decisions and I think it is readily apparent that whomever made this particular decision happened to make the wrong one. I gave plenty of examples of that happening in the past.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I chose the ATAKs because they are the loudest "legal" muffler Borla offers for the new Mustangs. Plus the company is headquartered locally and the quality of the product is second to none.

Just curious, but how many ponies is the Borla cat-back adding to this GT?

I don't mind a more aggressive tone with an easier flowing exhaust (we have one ourselves). But it had better add enough "meat on the bones" to warrant the unwanted attention they draw (and not just from the gendarmes). Sometimes a performance high flow cat(s) and downpipe(s) are needed to fully pull it off, though.

Of course, others just love a good loud soundtrack for the daily drive, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
sigh... So back on topic. No word from "Bob" in India on where my exhaust is.

That sucks
frown.gif
Sorry for derailing your thread BTW.

Mostly wanted the soundtrack for the daily drive. My new route home, thanks CalTrans, is through UCSB so there are a lot of Prii to offend. There really isn't much HP to be gained through catbacks on the new Mustangs. the biggest gains are from eliminating the catalytic converters or going with full length headers. I can still get the cat delete pipes for "track, cough" duty.

OK guy, where are you going with this? I don't mind arguing with you until we are both blue in the face, keep that in mind. We both know the reason was likely cost. Ford wanted to save some money and so instead of using the T-56 or the GT500 gearbox they went with the less expensive Chinese product. All the sarcasm in the world isn't going to change the fact that there was already a mechanically superior product that Ford has a history with, that their competition is also using, and likely was actually cheaper in the long run than what they went with sitting there that they could have used. I think I made that abundantly clear in the section of my post that you responded to. Cost cutting isn't always productive in actually resulting in an increase in profit, sometimes that decision costs the manufacturer significantly more money than they planned on saving and that will likely ultimately be the case here.

Sometimes it works. Heck, I'm sure OFTEN it works. There are people paid to make those types of decisions and I think it is readily apparent that whomever made this particular decision happened to make the wrong one. I gave plenty of examples of that happening in the past.

Ok, guy, I'm fully aware that you'll argue anybody for any reason using massive blocks of text. You have developed a reputation for that.

So cost is the most likely reason, as you admit. Seems as valid a reason as anything to choose a different supplier.

Ok, guy, I'm fully aware that you'll argue anybody for any reason using massive blocks of text. You have developed a reputation for that.

Good, I am glad we are on the same page regarding that point.

So cost is the most likely reason, as you admit. Seems as valid a reason as anything to choose a different supplier.

Admit? I stated very early on in this thread:

frown.gif
$$$$$$$$$

From the very get-go I stated that cost was the reason
crazy2.gif
Heck, that was the first post of mine you responded to!

It was you who mentioned that there may have been other reasons:

There's a pretty wide range of reasons that I can imagine as to why they selected the transmission they did, and many of those reasons may have been out of Ford's direct control.

I simply can't think of a GOOD reason that they didn't use the T-56. Cost isn't a GOOD reason unless that decrease in cost had no adverse side effects, which, based on the facts presented in this thread, hardly seems to be the case. If they could have used a less expensive transmission that had a similar track record for bullet-proof reliability that the T-56 had, then it would have made sense. But that's not what happened. And as I said, there are people paid to make those decisions and I think in this case the wrong decision was made and Ford has had to deal with that. This is why the OP is getting a new transmission.

Now, back to the topic of the OP's exhaust system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back