"New" Audio addition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...well more like a replacement...

My trusty Onkyo DVD/CD changer (used only as a CD Transport/changer, as I used digital out with my modded Super Pro DAC) which I got for $75 refurb'd, finally died after 3 yrs of great service...

I picked up this beast of a NAD T572 in mint condition on Audiogon for $115 shipped..Also a DVD/Cd changer, and just like the Onkyo, it will only serve as a transport/changer, and I am using the coax digital out to my SuperPro DAC...
DSCN0739.jpg

The Onkyo was clearly better using the external DAC than its own internal DAC, but with this NAD I am not so sure...I think it has Burr Brown DACs, and using its own DAC, the SQ is excellent, but a tad different when used with the SuperPro DAC...i am having a hard time deciding which is better...
In both cases, using its own or with the ext DAC, the sound is very "massive" and clear at the same time, compared to the Onkyo...Will do more listening and see...The SuperPro DAC is a tiny budget external DAC, so i won't be surprised if I decide that the NAD is better with its own DAC...

Last edited:
Nice! Congrats!

Sadly my audio upgrades have come to a screeching halt... bike and wedding expenses seem to have taken over.
smile.gif

Thanks, Pete - knew you'd be the 1st to comment
smile.gif

Yeah I also had stopped upgrading my system, but this was a necessity, sort of.
I am kind of happy now, I finally have a rather mid-high end system with the NAD replacing the last low-mid end component, the Onkyo. I also realized I have a system that has 100% british roots now...Onix Ref-1, Music Hall, and NAD
smile.gif

...oh, the Parasound tuner is American :), so not really 100% British.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I followed audio equipment but I do know that NAD = good stuff. I used to leaf through the audio magazines and drool over things like that.

I love it.
I love how only the expensive quality parts can look that good.
It's like appreciating a styling of an Audi.

I have only consumer grade "high end" equipment, but someday I wish to buy from the big guns like Bryston, Totem, Sonic Frontiers, etc.

I am lucky I didn't spend much for my Audio stuff at all: All of them were used but I made sure they were in mint condition with only little use - near new.

Prices I paid for my used stuff:
Music Hall Amp (in the above pic): $275 shipped (New Price now $699)
NAD changer: $115 shipped (New used to be $500)
Parasound Z-Tuner (my proudest achievement): $35 BRAND NEW !! from Ebay: (New around $300) - I still think either the seller had no clue what he was selling or he made a mistake
Onix Reference-1 speakers with very few hrs on them: $325 shipped (New Price now $1200)
Speaker stands that I modified into sand fillable stands: $35 on sale (comparable fillable stands are around $150 a pair)
External Super Pro DAC: new $85 (which I earned back by selling some PC speakers that I won) - modifications: around $20 - the combo of this cheap DAC and my $115 NAD sound like a $800 or so player to my ears)

I mostly have monoprice.com and bluejeanscable.com cables, which are excellent quality and low cost: Only for the DAC and CD/amp connection I got some used high(er) end cables (MAC and OutLaw cables) - used, of course at less than 1/4 of normal price.

(all this took a LOT of hrs of searching on Audiogon, though - well worth it).

Only things I bought New are the Samsung 40" LCD - (still saved about $300 off list price) and the Panasonic BluRay player (got on a crazy one-night only $80 shipped deal online)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back