New .338 Lapua rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Certainly. I reload .338LM and have had great luck with my own loads. Factory loads are around $3.20/round, which, compared to .50BMG is a relative bargain.

Not at all true. The .50 BMG is much cheaper to shoot than the .338 Lapua. I've purchased factory loaded Federal M-33 Ball locally, in .50 BMG for as low as $2.65 a round. And you're getting 3 times the brass, lead, and powder in every round. The .50 BMG is a military round that's been produced in great abundance since 1910. And ammunition is available much cheaper because of that. The .338 Lapua is a much newer, specialized round that has nowhere near the availability of the .50 BMG. From a cost per shot standpoint the .338 Lapua is one of the most expensive long range rounds there is. About the only calibers that cost more on a round to round basis are the limited production, big bore African calibers. And even many of them like the .458 Win. Mag. are as cheap, or even cheaper. Especially if handloaded.

The .338 Lapua will never become "cheap" because it's too specialized. High production lowers cost, and that won't happen with the .338 Lapua because it only appeals to a small segment of the shooting community. The .50 BMG appeals to a much larger group. And not all of them are long range, precision shooters. I'm not knocking the .338 Lapua cartridge. I'm only pointing out it is nowhere near as cheap to shoot as the .50 BMG, and it never will be. And not only that, the .50 BMG is offered in specialty rounds like Tracer, AP, API, and APIT. All of which are very affordable because again, they're military and produced in great abundance. And if you're a reloader, brass for the .50 BMG is almost nothing in cost when compared to the .338 Lapua. And as far as the "wow factor" the .338 Lapua doesn't even come close.

If you look at other similar long range rounds like the .300 Win. Mag. and .300 Remington Ultra Mag., along with many of the newer 6.5's that are setting long range records left and right, all are much cheaper to shoot, and give almost the same long range performance as the .338 Lapua. At least as far as the abilities of 98% of civilian shooters are concerned. As I'm sure you've seen, on the Internet EVERYONE is Carlos Hathcock.

I think there's a cost difference up here in Canada. The cheapest factory loads I can get in .50BMG are around $8/round, vs $3.20 for .338LM. That's a rather significant price difference. Also, the dies to reload .50BMG won't fit in my current presses.

I reload .338LM, which makes it quite inexpensive.

I will eventually be buying a .50BMG rifle as well, but I don't anticipate it being cheaper for exactly the reason you mentioned: 3x the powder required per round and I will have to buy a whole other press just to reload it and sourcing brass for it up here is more of a challenge as well. I'd probably be buying box ammo and just reloading those.

You don't buy .338LM, .408, .416, .BMG because you're pinching pennies. Ammo cost is a non issue.

I will eventually be buying a .50BMG rifle as well, but I don't anticipate it being cheaper for exactly the reason you mentioned: 3x the powder required per round and I will have to buy a whole other press just to reload it and sourcing brass for it up here is more of a challenge as well. I'd probably be buying box ammo and just reloading those.

You can reload the .50 BMG for relatively very low cost if you employ a Lee press and dies. While Lee .50 BMG dies are Lee press specific, they do as good or better of a job as RCBS, Dillon, or others at a small fraction of the cost. Also, Military surplus powder and bullets can be purchased in bulk from people like Jeff Bartlett over a G.I. Brass, along with places like Pat's Reloading, very reasonably for what you get in regards to quantity when compared to commercial powders and bullets that are insanely expensive.

Now, the fact you live in Canada may change all of this. I don't know what the shipping laws involve as far as purchasing in the U.S. and having it shipped to Canada. That may put a shovel to everything I've just mentioned. I know once I tried to purchase a magazine for a Savage rifle I have from a supplier in Canada, and they refused to ship it to me because I'm in the U.S. So you may have issues in that regard.

Originally Posted By: hatt
You don't buy .338LM, .408, .416, .BMG because you're pinching pennies. Ammo cost is a non issue.

I'm not pinching pennies but I do look at how much it costs me to shoot. Now, if ammo cost was a significant factor I would have kept my .223 bolt. But it is a factor nonetheless.

One of the guys at the gun shop and I were talking about that in a roundabout way yesterday with respect to folks dumping tons of money into optics and stocks on guns like SKS's and Mosin's because they are "cheap to shoot".

The problem of course is that in that case, you still have a gun not known for being overly accurate (particularly the SKS), I mean we aren't talking about a Dragunov here, these are cheap surplus rifles chambered in 7.62x39 and 7.62x54, most of which are Chinese imports. And then you see guys trying to sell them at over $1K and getting all kinds of flack for trying to get out what they've got into them which defeats the purpose of the gun for most looking to buy one: cheap plinking.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460

Now, the fact you live in Canada may change all of this. I don't know what the shipping laws involve as far as purchasing in the U.S. and having it shipped to Canada. That may put a shovel to everything I've just mentioned. I know once I tried to purchase a magazine for a Savage rifle I have from a supplier in Canada, and they refused to ship it to me because I'm in the U.S. So you may have issues in that regard.

It does. And with duty, shipping and the exchange rate, it pretty much puts the kibosh on most state-side deals for this type of stuff. Now, I did recently get a Leupold Mark 4 IMS from the states because even with duty, shipping and exchange it was massively cheaper but ammo and ammo supplies provide a whole other hurdle that most are not willing to deal with.

My observations on cost are very location-specific and I realize that cost per round for you guys is significantly cheaper for some stuff (like .50BMG) than it is for us.

I'm not pinching pennies but I do look at how much it costs me to shoot. Now, if ammo cost was a significant factor I would have kept my .223 bolt. But it is a factor nonetheless.

Here I couldn't agree with you more. I constantly hear how, "cost isn't a factor" if you're shooting these expensive rifles and cartridges. Not everyone who owns and shoots calibers like the .338 Lapua and .50 BMG are made of money, and can afford to throw it away. Many make sacrifices elsewhere in order to own and shoot these rounds. A dollar saved is a dollar saved, period. This regardless of what you are spending it on. If I can save several dollars on purchasing .50 BMG ammo or components, that's money I keep in my pocket for other things. People who have money have it because they're careful with it, and spend it wisely. As the saying goes, "A fool and his money are soon parted company". Very true. And over the years I haven't met any foolish wealthy people.

The trick is to find somewhere to shoot it. I think in the winter would be the best as you can find some lakes with no cottages on them within a couple hours. Even still a 1000 yrd span is about as long as I can find.
You just need a white skidoo, white camo for you and the gun, and you'd look like a Bond movie winter bad guy!

OVERKILL, you bad boy, congrats bud.
I am jealous for the access you have to shoot, heck I enjoy and sitting and enjoying the view of an open space like that.

it is good to see that a factory rifle that comes with a quality barrel.

I thought about pulling the trigger on the ba but the quality issues and the need to re-barrel has me thinking custom action for a repeater with a quality barrel. Don't have the zee surplus $$ right now

I love that stock on the cdx. 15lbs plus scope, not bad. what moa rail is on it?

Originally Posted By: billt460

Here I couldn't agree with you more. I constantly hear how, "cost isn't a factor" if you're shooting these expensive rifles and cartridges. Not everyone who owns and shoots calibers like the .338 Lapua and .50 BMG are made of money, and can afford to throw it away. Many make sacrifices elsewhere in order to own and shoot these rounds. A dollar saved is a dollar saved, period. This regardless of what you are spending it on. If I can save several dollars on purchasing .50 BMG ammo or components, that's money I keep in my pocket for other things. People who have money have it because they're careful with it, and spend it wisely. As the saying goes, "A fool and his money are soon parted company". Very true. And over the years I haven't met any foolish wealthy people.

well we humans like stuff, some people smoke/drink and [censored] away $$$,
some buy synthetic oil and do 500 OCIs, some buy 1.5 mil sports cars and drive them 20 mph in traffic to show em off.
But hobbies relaxes me, and I do not put a $$ amount on hobbies. but then again I am not selling the farm to support my hobbies and so isn't op.

Quote:
Not everyone who owns and shoots calibers like the .338 Lapua and .50 BMG are made of money, and can afford to throw it away.
Then don't buy guns you can't afford feed. As you already pointed out. You can punch paper just as well out to 1000+ yards with much cheaper options. Buying big money platforms and then complaining about cost is like buying a supercar and then complaining about tire prices and expensive oil changes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stockrex
OVERKILL, you bad boy, congrats bud.
I am jealous for the access you have to shoot, heck I enjoy and sitting and enjoying the view of an open space like that.

it is good to see that a factory rifle that comes with a quality barrel.

I thought about pulling the trigger on the ba but the quality issues and the need to re-barrel has me thinking custom action for a repeater with a quality barrel. Don't have the zee surplus $$ right now

I love that stock on the cdx. 15lbs plus scope, not bad. what moa rail is on it?

Comes with a 30 or 40, I ordered it with the 30.

And thanks for the compliments
smile.gif

Your setup is something I can only dream about. It's a bit too expensive.

This is what a friend got in 6.5 Creedmore. We've been shooting it at 1,000 yards and the accuracy is something I've never experienced before and it's ordinary factory ammo. On top of that the bullets are still going through an eight inch thick target made of mild steel.

I know it's not as capable as the 338 but for the price it's pretty good.

By the way, you can ship your new rifle to me and the ammo and I'll do the break-in procedure. You won't even had to pay me. (lol)

Yeah, it is amazing what rounds will go through at distance. I posted some pics a while back of some 1/4" mild steel that we were popping through.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
well we humans like stuff, some people smoke/drink and [censored] away $$$,
some buy synthetic oil and do 500 OCIs, some buy 1.5 mil sports cars and drive them 20 mph in traffic to show em off.

While all of that is 100% true, it doesn't mean they throw away unnecessary money to do it.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Then don't buy guns you can't afford feed. As you already pointed out. You can punch paper just as well out to 1000+ yards with much cheaper options. Buying big money platforms and then complaining about cost is like buying a supercar and then complaining about tire prices and expensive oil changes.

If I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't have purchased it. You don't get it. It isn't a question of "affordability" as it is being financial practical. Who in their right mind spends more on something than they have to? A fool. Just because you are engaged in a hobby, pastime, or purchase that is expensive to do, and or support, doesn't mean you have to be foolish about the money you spend to do it. As I said, A dollar saved is one less dollar you have to earn . Nothing changes that. A carefree and foolish financial attitude only makes it worse.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Your setup is something I can only dream about. It's a bit too expensive.

This is what a friend got in 6.5 Creedmore. We've been shooting it at 1,000 yards and the accuracy is something I've never experienced before and it's ordinary factory ammo. On top of that the bullets are still going through an eight inch thick target made of mild steel.

I know it's not as capable as the 338 but for the price it's pretty good.

By the way, you can ship your new rifle to me and the ammo and I'll do the break-in procedure. You won't even had to pay me. (lol)

luv the stock on the ruger, I think ruger has hit a home run with this platform.

longest I can shot is 500 yards at my club,
you can shoot 800 yards with a 223 with a good bullet, reach out and touch longer with 308 or even longer with 300 winmag.
One thing I missed with my misguided caliber chase is that the sum total cost of
223 + 308+ 300 win + 6.5x55 + 300 wsm > 338 lapua any day.

op has a specific need/challenge and his choice fits the need.

I like it, Overkill! With respect to comments about .50 BMG, yes, our rounds are ridiculously expensive up here for whatever reason. Additionally, almost every .50 BMG firearm I can think of is on the restricted list, which means it must only be used at a bona fide range. Those people with gravel pits or farms or ranches of their own are out of luck, unless they can convince a federal inspector to grant them a range designation.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I like it, Overkill! With respect to comments about .50 BMG, yes, our rounds are ridiculously expensive up here for whatever reason. Additionally, almost every .50 BMG firearm I can think of is on the restricted list, which means it must only be used at a bona fide range. Those people with gravel pits or farms or ranches of their own are out of luck, unless they can convince a federal inspector to grant them a range designation.
wink.gif

On that note, CADEX just released a new (non-restricted) .50BMG bolt which I will be looking at next. I've always wanted a .50 but have no illusions of being able to shoot the thing regularly. As I believe I mentioned in another thread my buddy's dad who owns the land we shoot on doesn't want us out there with a .50 which is part of the reason I don't have one yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back