New 2013 Lexus should I change the oil before trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my wife a 2013 Lexus RX-350 in Sept. The Manufacturers OCI is 10k.

She only has 4300 on the factory fill. We are expecting to go on a 10 hour trip for July 4th. Would you have the oil changed before the trip?

It calls for 0-20w, I plan on replacing with synthetic.

YES!!! That has the 2GR-FE V6 in it which will run great on PP 0w20 or 5w20. That engine was speced for 5000 miles with 5w30 until this year. I would be wary of the 10k OCi but that is just me. My wife has one with 177,000 on it and has had PP and QSUD 5w30 every 5000 since new. It runs like new and uses no oil.

Get yourself the assenmacher oil filter tool off amazon for $20.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015PK3AG

Last edited:
for that mileage, it's kind of borderline for me, if it's 7500, I would say yes, less than 5000? I probably would leave it in there, statistically your Lexus will be quite reliable, and the chance of developing oil related issue is pretty low.

Toyota says you're good to go, so I'd leave it.
I'm doing this with the Accord we bought last fall.
It's hard to not do an early first change, but I'm guessing that either Toyota or Honda know more than either of us.
Enjoy your trip in your new crossover.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It's hard to not do an early first change, but I'm guessing that either Toyota or Honda know more than either of us.

I know !! I bought a new 2012 in Sept also, I had to change it at 4k, I couldn't stand it, they say change it when the minder says 15%, but I could not do it.

Do yo have the free Toyota Care oil change also? Change it. 5k for the first oil change is enough. 10k thereafter.

Toyota has a long track record of getting oil wrong. From the sludge years to setting OCI's too long on dino to clogged piston oil return holes to poor performing low efficiency foam media OE filters. Hopefully they finally do know more than us. But given the history, have my dad's 2012 at 7500 for a while to see what happens with the new 2.5L engine design.

Change the oil NOW to get the metal flakes and particles out of circulation in the factory fill break-in oil.

You will also notice an increase in MPG with less friction between metal parts.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

Toyota has a long track record of getting oil wrong. From the sludge years to setting OCI's too long on dino to clogged piston oil return holes to poor performing low efficiency foam media OE filters. Hopefully they finally do know more than us. But given the history, have my dad's 2012 at 7500 for a while to see what happens with the new 2.5L engine design.

+1000 I'll never go past 5000 on a Toyota oil change.

If Toyota wanted you to change it at 5000, they would tell you. Leave it alone. Long trips are easy on oil anyway, just have a spare quart of 0W-20 handy in case it uses any - I doubt it will.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Change the oil NOW to get the metal flakes and particles out of circulation in the factory fill break-in oil.

You will also notice an increase in MPG with less friction between metal parts.

Doesn't the Lexus have a oil filter?

Originally Posted By: sHERM
I bought my wife a 2013 Lexus RX-350 in Sept. The Manufacturers OCI is 10k.

She only has 4300 on the factory fill. We are expecting to go on a 10 hour trip for July 4th. Would you have the oil changed before the trip?

It calls for 0-20w, I plan on replacing with synthetic.

sHERM,

I would change it and go the balance of the 10K service.

Durango

Yes the Lexus has an oil filter, but it doesn't catch ALL of the engine's break-in material floating in the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back