Neutra purge for lawn mower oil? Y/N?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragboat sent me a free bottle of the Nuetra and I used it in my 10 year old 3.0 hp briggs and stratton pushmower which has a 1/2 quart capacity. I did not follow directions and used 2 ounces with 10/30 motor oil for 10 minutes. I drained it into a plastic container and it was just like he said. Rather ***** looking with gritty stuff that could be felt with my fingers and seen when poured into the recycle bucket.I will retreat it after I buy some more to see if more cleaning would be done if I had used it longer.

I am now buying $250 worth of it in gallon jugs for the car engines and the fuel tanks that I own and am splitting it with a friend.

Same here, FWIW, I too am finding that Neutra is very versatile cleaner.

I use it as a "before oil-change" engine flush twice a year in all outdoor equipment and
automotive engines.

A cleaner engine is certainly a more efficient engine.

It's a lawnmower not a turbocharged DOHC highly modified..... Change the oil, plugs and air filter every spring and that it. Use whatever oil the manual says and you will have years of use. I have a Craftsman 16hp tractor that is now 17 years old that cuts 1.5 acres of lawn every week(2-3 hours) and a Craftsman 5hp lawmower that trims. All I have ever done is change the oil, plugs and air filter and sharpen the blades. In the fall I dump a bottle of stabilizer in a full gas tank, before I do my last cut of the season and park in the shed utill spring. I live in Chicago and it gets cold. I have never had a single problem starting, runing, cutting...nothing. It is a complete waste of money to use synthetic oil, additives, cleaners, etc on a lawn mower. When I mentioned people using synthetic oil in lawnmowers to a landscaper friend, he laughed and said he has equiptment that is ten years old that practically runs 12 hours a day seven days a week during the hot summer and the only problems he runs into is flat tires and a broken blade here and there. He said he does a typical tune-up every spring and empties the gas tank into the snowblowers every winter.

dagmando, you're being cynical.
grin.gif

If people were only worrying about oil for their mowers I would tend to agree. But considering the cost it's insignificant. One Eighth gallon of Schaeffer costs about the same as a Coke, and avoids oddball quarts of oil in the garage. Also, mowers provide a relatively cheap & low consequence testing ground for lube & cleaning products, and learning.

To me it's equally about Tim Allen's turbocharged blenders. I'd be surprised if people didn't write about their experiments. The only reason I'm not using the good stuff is because my mowers are where I get rid of all my mismatched dino that's accumulated over the past decade.
smile.gif

David

Quote:
"It is a complete waste of money to use synthetic oil, additives, cleaners, etc on a lawn mower."

Yet you dump a full bottle of stabilizer in you gas tank every year?
grin.gif
Must be a big tank!

The thread posts were about the 131 at a treat cost of less than 30 cents if a guy already had a bottle,,not a waste at all in my opinion.

Oh yeah,my mowers are ported and modified,one pusher is on race gas and the head is o'ringed. Some of us enjoy the hobbie of maintaining our yard equipment like a Masserati Bora.

Dragboat,

Are there any mods, other than porting, that one can do for a 16 HP Briggs with an OHC engine for a little improvement in HP?

I have little tricks for Kohlers, but Briggs have always seemed to be somehwta of an 'unmoddable" engine.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Dragboat,

Are there any mods, other than porting, that one can do for a 16 HP Briggs with an OHC engine for a little improvement in HP?

I have little tricks for Kohlers, but Briggs have always seemed to be somehwta of an 'unmoddable" engine.

I am a bit confused about which motor,the I-C Industrial Commercial 31 cubic inch single cylinder or the I/C Vangard V-Twin 16.5 HP ?

Both are overhead valve but am not aware of a overhead cam Briggs motor.

When playing with any of them the biggest gain will be through the exhaust be it porting " prefered" or muffler mods" needed after porting to reduce backpressure and let it breath for a cooler running engine.Many ways to mod a muffler w/o getting it too loud but some will need tig'd back together when finished

The ignition timing can be changed through use of offset keys on any of them.

I think you have the VanGard,,here is the link

Real Briggs web page

[ November 02, 2002, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Yep, I really like experimenting with lubricants in lawn & garden equipment. Ever change the oil in a mower and then notice that it pulls over more easily? You'd never be able to feel that turning the key on a car.

dagmando, you say your buddy keeps his equipment 10 years?
confused.gif

Gee, if he took better care of it, he might be able to get his stuff to last twice as long. I have a Honda push mower which is over fifteen years old right now and runs like new. I only use a smidgeon of Sta-Bil in it yearly, change the oil (synthetic or synthetic blend), service the foam air cleaner once each year, sharpen the blade as needed. Excessive? I really don't think so. I think the thing sees about 50 hours of service each year and holds less than 1 quart of oil.

I expect this thing to last another 10 years.
grin.gif

I also have a Honda 4518 tractor which is 7 or 8 years old and gets similar treatment. Looks and runs just like new.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back