Need new winter wheels, want opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to buy winter wheels for the M3, and I've narrowed it down to these four. One of them is the classic BBS CH style, whereas the other three are OEM BMW wheels.

They're all within $50 of each other, and I'm not overly concerned with "ease of cleaning" since I might have to go a long time without being able to do much more than toss a bucket of hot water on them.

I've done my best to approximate them being 18" versus the stock 19" on these photos:

matte black BBS CH
-have always liked this wheel
-black doesn't look dirty quickly

blackBBSCH_zps82d0b961.jpg

OEM silver M6 (gunmetal barrel, machine-face spokes)
-simple look
-open design not a good styling match?

OEMM6_zpsbf759746.jpg

OEM silver M3 CSL
-have seen photos of these on M3s that look incredible
-classic design

OEMCSL_zps34680bab.jpg

OEM silver M3 "220" (gunmetal barrel, machine-face spokes)
-was the stock wheel on this car
-another classic look

OEM220_zps173de378.jpg

I'd go with the matte black BBS but they're all so open! I can just imagine getting chunks of snow/ ice stuck in those spokes and throwing the whole mess off balance.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'd go with the matte black BBS but they're all so open! I can just imagine getting chunks of snow/ ice stuck in those spokes and throwing the whole mess off balance.

I've never had that problem in all my years of driving.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Either the BBS CH or the OEM 220 get my vote.

Which winter tires are you getting?

Blizzak LM-60, 245/40R18 -- left over from my Audi.

I like the 220's myself.

What wheel do you have on it now ? Why not just go with 4 more that match those ? You'd be able to keep the 4 best out of the 8 for spring, summer and fall and rotate dinged up wheels to winter duty.

Here's a left field idea. How about steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps ? You'd be the only one with them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KB2008X
I like the 220's myself.

What wheel do you have on it now ? Why not just go with 4 more that match those ? You'd be able to keep the 4 best out of the 8 for spring, summer and fall and rotate dinged up wheels to winter duty.

Here's a left field idea. How about steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps ? You'd be the only one with them.

I have the OEM BBS-made forged ZCP wheels, which are huge and very expensive. They're also ridiculous to clean...it takes me a good half hour to clean all four, no joke.

I like the BBS CH out of those choices, however, and this is just my two cents, I don't really like black wheels on a white car, I feel the whole wheel/tire assembly disappears on the car. But those CH do look nice in the photo. If those CH came in say, a hyper-silver/liquid graphite color that'd be on the money for me as the wheels would 'pop' a little more than a black one would. Which is why the M3 CSL wheels you have pictured are very a close second, except that those appear to be a 'bright sparkle silver' type finish.

I assume you're going to go symmetrical sized tires/wheels for winter and not staggered?

The HECK with winter, I think those matt CHs look STUNNING on that car PERIOD!!!

I would buy those in 19", and use your originals for snows, or sell the originals to get a less expensive, smaller diameter wheel for snows.

I would HATE to have a better looking winter wheel than performance summer wheel on ANY car.
31.gif

I like the CH's and the CSL's. Slight nod to the CSL's, since that looks very nice.

I have pretty open 5-spoke winter wheels for my Cruze. Ice/snow buildup isn't much of a problem since it gets slung out rapidly.

Here are those wheels on other M3s, for reference. Some of them might be 19 or even 20", FYI:

matte black CH

blackch-2_zps22a1c50a.png

blackch-1_zps25ed32c2.png

CSL

3513322477_0196e5e10e_o_zps1761340a.jpg

3513322679_fddc701ae5_o_zps03e2f7de.jpg

M6

Untitled2_zps5d906546.png

Untitled_zps1449f26a.png

220s:

White-Bmw-M3_KBl_zpsc26374b1.jpg

I still like the CH best, although the CSL look better in pictures and are a close second. Neither of the other two really fit the car in my opinion.

I like the black wheels, but would hesitate to run them in the winter, since I think they would actually be white with salt spray in pretty short order. Sure, they hide brake and road dust, but that stuff doesn't turn white when it dries.

Last edited:
First two.

The last pic doesnt look like the true classic BMW basketweave, but rather something off a VW, IMO.

The third one is OK, but Ive seen other variants of that wheel that look better (e.g. the one on the older e-class MB).

Given its winter and limited use and all that, Id really consider the first ones.

The BBS CSLs look just as good as the CHs (classic M-Sport wheel), IF not better, but again, I consider this wheel too good/good looking to be just your winter wheel, only to put on the (to me at least) not as good looking stockers for the summer/performance driving.

Ms are supposed to be about PERFORMANCE/RACING, not luxo-looks, although they do pretty well in the luxury dept. with their interiors.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
The BBS CSLs look just as good as the CHs (classic M-Sport wheel), IF not better, but again, I consider this wheel too good/good looking to be just your winter wheel, only to put on the (to me at least) not as good looking stockers for the summer/performance driving.

I think it has some of the most handsome factory wheels ever made (BBS forged, btw):

IMG_1415_zps190a1d28.jpg

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

I think it has some of the most handsome factory wheels ever made (BBS forged, btw):

IMG_1415_zps190a1d28.jpg

SORRY! I thought the M3s now came with one of those other, non-BBS style/type 5 spoke/split spoke wheels you displayed in some of those pics.

YES, those are primo wheels (and classic), but I still think they would look better on a white car in matte black or gunmetal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back