Need help with an old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a dino Win XP PC and I'm trying to take items out of the start up menu via msconfig. When I uncheck boxes of items I want to remove, I click apply and get this message:

"An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an administrator account".

This is a stand alone machine, I'm the only guy using it. What do I do?

Thanks!

Try starting the PC in Safe Mode and turn off the services. For Safe Mode press F8 after the Bios checks and before the Windows emblem is displayed. FYI - Turning off the services does not remove them.

Startup? Start>Run... regedit

Navigate to HLKM, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Run, right click then export to make a backup copy. From there, delete any suspect entries. Reboot.

Well I mangaged to convince the machine that I'm the administrator. I removed a ton of stuff that loads when the PC is booted. I removed some unwanted programs, then popped any remaining parts from the registry via regedit. Anything else I can do to get a little more speed out of this old machine? A new PC is not in the cards just yet.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Well I mangaged to convince the machine that I'm the administrator. I removed a ton of stuff that loads when the PC is booted. I removed some unwanted programs, then popped any remaining parts from the registry via regedit. Anything else I can do to get a little more speed out of this old machine? A new PC is not in the cards just yet.

Thanks

It might respond well to more memory if it's only got 256-512mb of RAM. What model number is the computer or what motherboard is it using? I might have some spare sticks laying around from a bunch of P3 and P4 systems that got decommissioned.

Best,

Originally Posted By: Familyguy

Thanks

It might respond well to more memory if it's only got 256-512mb of RAM. What model number is the computer or what motherboard is it using? I might have some spare sticks laying around from a bunch of P3 and P4 systems that got decommissioned.

Best,

Dell XPS Dimension T750-R. I have 384 megs (3x128 chips) of Ram. I can take (3x256) totaling 768 megs of ram IIRC. Problem is the cost of the sticks, the machine IMO is not worth it. The sound card died too. It would benefit from more ram, I was waiting on some buddies that work on PC to try and get me some more ram, it never happened LOL

Thanks

Best,

Dell XPS Dimension T750-R. I have 384 megs (3x128 chips) of Ram. I can take (3x256) totaling 768 megs of ram IIRC. Problem is the cost of the sticks, the machine IMO is not worth it. The sound card died too. It would benefit from more ram, I was waiting on some buddies that work on PC to try and get me some more ram, it never happened LOL

Let me rummage through my parts bin and see if I can some up with some.

Thanks

Best,

Let me rummage through my parts bin and see if I can some up with some.

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!

Just checked and it looks like the only stick of PC133 SDRAM that I've got laying around is a 512mb ECC part. I don't think your motherboard will work with that. Looks like the ex Mrs. Familyguy binned the rest of them I had.
frown.gif
Sorry man.

Thanks for looking!!!!!!!!!!!!! If business ever returns to normal I'll get a good lap top.

Hey Demar,

Just stumbled on a stick of PC133-256mb SDRAM. PM me your address and I'll send it along to you. Otherwise, I'll likely just toss it. I've also got an old PCI soundblaster soundcard that I can toss in.

Best,

Anything else I can do to get a little more speed out of this old machine? A new PC is not in the cards just yet.

If you really wanted to speed things up, an install of a Linux OS, such as Ubuntu, might be useful. I've run P3s and older on it, and it sure makes a difference.

Puppy Linux absolutely flies on my Dell GX260 with a 1.8GHz P4 and 2GB of RAM. I have two more of these machines (albeit with only 512MB RAM each) that will get the same treatment shortly as soon as I source a CD drive for one and a power supply for the other. Silly SFF cases, they only have 130-watt PSU's, I'm going to put in 200-watt units from GX280 models as soon as I find some dirt cheap ones.

My main problem with using Linux (I have Win2K dual booting with it) is that I can't get it to recognize my Linksys WUSB54 wireless adapter. It took me two days to get 2000 SP4 to see it, too, and it drops out all the time. I'm wondering if the USB ports on this particular box are fried.

The best thing I can recommend other than stripping XPdown as best you can is to upgrade the video. I know, I know, it's not like you can throw in a HD5770 and go, you've got to match up the slot.

If you have an AGP 4x/8x slot, I'd go with Sapphire's ATI HD3650 512MB card, sells for around $64. If you can't afford that, try the ATI Radeon 9250 128MB for about $33. If you need speed above all else, XFX and Sapphire each make a HD4650 1GB card for $80 for 8X only, and HIS has a 4X/8X version for $85. Feel like spendng $110-$130 and you CAN get HD4670 1GB PCI cards from PowerColor (8X only $110) and HIS (4X/8X $130).

For a plain PCI (not Express or 1X or 16X) slot card, your choices are further limited. PNY makes an nVidia 8400GS 512MB card for about $40-$50 that is ok. For more speed than that, you can get a HIS Radeon HD4350 512MB card for about $70 or a Sparkle nVidia 9500GT 512MB for about $75.

edit: the Sparkle 9500GT is going in my kid's eMachines EL1200 machine as soon as I find one cheap. $75 is still a little high and I don't want to put in a 8400GS for $40 and waste the money if the 9500GT comes down in price. Now that the next generation of nVidia stuff is shipping (GTX480 and the like) I'm hoping to see the 9x00 cards drop a bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: occupant
My main problem with using Linux (I have Win2K dual booting with it) is that I can't get it to recognize my Linksys WUSB54 wireless adapter. It took me two days to get 2000 SP4 to see it, too, and it drops out all the time. I'm wondering if the USB ports on this particular box are fried.

It could be the USB ports, but one never knows. Linux has had problems with wireless over the past couple years. From what I've read, it is getting better. I don't use wireless, so I haven't had to research any solutions in depth. Assuming it isn't a USB issue, most people can get the wireless working if they're willing to take the trouble to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back