Need help understanding torx types

Two of my daughters have GM 1.4 Turbo cars with the problematic valve covers, held on with E10 bolts.

I was able to use Craftsman splined sockets on those and it was just fine. Not sure I'd want to do that with larger, tighter bolts.

My car is full of E Torx fastners. While I had a good range of T Torx bits I had no E Torx sockets at all so I set about looking to buy some.

What really confused me was even though both use the exact same form, the E Torx sizes do not correspond to the internal sizes. For example, an E8 external Torx socket is equivalent to a T40 internal Torx bit. Who's brilliant idea was that ?

BMW and Mini are two that I know personally use these E-Torx fasteners just about everywhere. I have a couple of sets of these sockets for the work I do.

In a pinch, and in the past, my old Crafstman splined sockets would fit and I used them without an issue.

Reactions: D60
I bought this set over 4 years ago and couldn't be more pleased with it for a take along set, everything in one place.
I does not include Torx Plus security or long ones but for most jobs it works well. The quality is not Hazet, Stahlwille or Snap on but it is remarkably good for a tool in this price class, you actually get more than you paid for. The fit of the bits and sockets is good and the finish is excellent, even the case is good and worth keeping. I have used them a lot and nothing has broken, for $55 you cant go wrong, I paid more than this for one Snap on wobble Etorx.

View attachment 212580
So Capri tools is referring to Etorx as “star”? That’s the same thing?

This is an example of bolt on the Cherokee I need to get off. The caliper bracket bolt has a tall head. A lot of these sets would only grab the top half this bolt. So do I need a kit with a deeper taper at the end? Or does it not matter?
IMG_5565.jpeg

So Capri tools is referring to Etorx as “star”? That’s the same thing?
Yes it is.
This is an example of bolt on the Cherokee I need to get off. The caliper bracket bolt has a tall head. A lot of these sets would only grab the top half this bolt. So do I need a kit with a deeper taper at the end? Or does it not matter?
If you look at it it can only this deep. A impact or deep impact may offer a little more contact area.

IMG_5565.jpg

This is an example of bolt on the Cherokee I need to get off. The caliper bracket bolt has a tall head. A lot of these sets would only grab the top half this bolt. So do I need a kit with a deeper taper at the end? Or does it not matter? View attachment 214470
I don't think it matters. A box end wrench might seat further down if you're concerned, but you may have to use a cheater.

Yes it is.

If you look at it it can only this deep. A impact or deep impact may offer a little more contact area.

View attachment 214482
Thanks. Watching an Amazon video review of a Tekton Etorx set, the reviewer showed how the Tekton set only went about halfway down the taller head Etorx like this pic and was wobbly, but his “Hazet” 900S-E20 fit perfect. Hazet is German and expensive but Amazon does sell individual sockets. Are you familiar with that brand?

Thanks. Watching an Amazon video review of a Tekton Etorx set, the reviewer showed how the Tekton set only went about halfway down the taller head Etorx like this pic and was wobbly, but his “Hazet” 900S-E20 fit perfect. Hazet is German and expensive but Amazon does sell individual sockets. Are you familiar with that brand?

That one of my main tool brands along with Stahlwille, I have all the Hazet Torx, E-torx, Innen hex and XVN. I use the Capri for convenience working away from my place. Hazet and Stahlwille easily rivals Snap on or any other with this type of tool.

OK, I think I get it now. For standard hex head bolts it’s a deep or shallow socket. Or an impact socket. For Etorx the bigger the bolt, the taller the head gets. Which requires a steep taper. So for the large tall Etorx I may as well buy one offs from hazet. The medium size I can get the Capri kit which has a medium taper. Then the really small ones require a flush end similar to a standard hex socket. 🤔

Back