Need a new pair of boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my 6 year old pair of Magnums are finally about done. I still have some tread left, but they are scuffed beyond polishing and my left boot has a 4 inch tear up the back that goes all the way through the leather. I think I got my money's worth out of them.

Looking at a new pair, and based on how well my last Magnum's (which are a model that is no longer made) held up, I'm going to be replacing them with a new pair. I wear my boots daily at least 4-6 months out of the year, depending on the weather. If the weather sucks and it is no longer shorts weather, it is boots time.

Here is what I'm looking at:
Magnum Black Men's Elite Force 8.0 WPI Top of the line, but stretching my budget a lot.

Magnum Black Men's Interceptor 8.0 SZ WP Looks to be what replaced the model I have. Cheapest of the group.

Magnum Black Men's Viper II 8" WP And the last one

Thoughts on the treads etc? These will see pavement, snow, slush, ice, grass, mud, etc. If it exists in Chicago, these boots will get hit by it. Do y'all think the Elite's are worth twice the price of the other two?

IMO...I would much rather get a good pair of Danner Boots or Red Wing boots with Gore Tex lining and "Stitch Down" soles. Danner and Red Wing are, for the most part, still made in the USA with quality.

The reason for Gore Tex is water proofing and the stitch down soles can always be sent back to Danner and maybe Red Wing to be re-crafted with new soles etc....

If you buy boots, like the Magnum Elite, with the "Glue Down" soles they can't be re-crafted.

IMO....go to the Danner website and see their vast selection of boots and they will last you for decades, if you oil them with neatsfoot oil. Danner boots are well worth the money with plenty of comfort and quality support. Cheers.

I have bought Red Wings for over 10 years. The last pair I had literally FELL APART in just three weeks of indoor use. Red Wing (after a hassle) asked me to send them back to the home office. Never heard back. Unless they happen to respond soon, I am DONE with Red Wing.

I have had 2 pairs of Red Wings-OVERPRICED JUNK! Believe it or not, for the price, I use Dickie's Grizzly boots from Meijer, buy them either on sale or when the 15-20% off discount coupons come out-I can get 2+ years out of them, wearing them EVERY DAY in wet & grease-filled areas, for roughly $45-50 a pair.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO...I would much rather get a good pair of Danner Boots or Red Wing boots with Gore Tex lining and "Stitch Down" soles.

Thanks. They look pretty nice.

I'll throw in that my experience with Red Wings has been excellent. I've got a good shop I trust and they can tell you every pair of shoes I've ever bought there. They've taken the time to figure out exactly what I need from a boot and show those options. Also doesn't hurt I'm still getting the same price on my main boots that I paid a decade ago (and still USA made) - some loyalty does pay off from time to time. I tend to buy a pair of my normal boots about every 2.5 years, and wear them nearly every day in a variety of settings from construction sites to lots of wet areas (they are subjeted to water nearly every day) to office duty.

Your milege may vary...

Google up Carolina boots. You have to be choosy, they sell a lot of Chinese made stuff. But you can buy US made boots that are resole-able.

I'm a very big fan of these boots right here.
http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcycle-Boots/Mens-Rampant-Brown-Leather-Boots/41895.html
highsided my bike the other day and took a nice tumble and slide down the road and they held up very well.
*****They fit a full size bigger than they should though*****
I had to stick two extra insoles to make them fit right.
very reasonably priced and you can get them resoled...heck they are cheap enough to just buy new ones after a few years.

I find them more comfortable and long lasting than the brands ones I have worn in the past.

Wolverine boots have always been long lasting and comfortable for me,my current pair have been going for 3 years now but,they are showing signs of needing replacement soon.

Does your company give you $_____ amount per year to purchase work shoes/boots ?

When I worked for GE we got a new pair of shoes every year and I always bought Redwings but back then they were practically indestructible. My last pair of Redwings (made in China) the sole cracked in half is if you snapped a carrot in half.
21.gif

Thats my experience, too. I have 10 year old Red Wings that are worn but 100% intact. The newest pair I got is JUNK. Red Wings quality has fallen off a cliff. Their reputation is being ruined.

My vote goes to Danner.

I have a pair of Danner (USA Made) boots. I've see these type of boots take all kinds of abuse in the Army. Mine are 6" hikers called Explorer.

If you need a taller boot check out http://www.danner.com/boots/acadiar-mens-womens-uniform-boots.html

These will last for years and when you think they are worn out, Danner will rejuvenate them for a small charge.

I'm sold with the Danner brand. When you go to www.danner.com you can do a search by USA made boots too.

I work outside all day. The last 3 pair of work boots I have bought were Whites, Nicks and Georgia in that order. Whites blew out in less than 6 months. Nicks held up great and I would say the Georgias that I wear now have held up as well as the Nicks at a much better price. All three pair were comfortable. If I had to buy again out of the three it would be Georgia again. White boots would not cover that blow-out either and that really irked me at the time since they were still fairly new at a steep price I had paid.

I'm sure the Danner's are a great boot, but not at that cost.

$100-$180 is stretching my budget enough as it is. Wouldn't even be considering a new pair, but superglue and duct tape aren't holding this rip together anymore.

I've gotten 6 years out of the Magnums, and they are only getting replaced because something tore a hole that can't be fixed in them. That has earned my repeat business.

I really like the look of the Elite 8.0 WPI, and it seems to get great reviews, but that is about twice what I'm wanting to pay. If they last for 6-10 years though...it'd be worth it.

they are selling redwings boots for $350+ per pair down here, and our dollar is stronger than the US dollar!!

For me, personally, I like Danner Boots. I've had a couple of pairs for over 18 years. Each pair has been re-crafted 3 times and they still look great and feel great.

Even in today's dollars, a $350 pair of boots, worn hard for 5 years before re crafting is needed, only works out to spending $5 to $6 a month before you send them in for servicing.

When you do send them in for re crafting, and get them back from Danner, they are like a brand new pair of boots but well broken in to conform to your foot.

They are your boots....and ready to go for another 5 years of hard wear.

IMO....these Danner boots have been a smart and worthwhile investment in the comfort of my feet. My only regret is not purchasing Danner's when I was young and foolish 30+ years ago when I was still in my 20's. I guess that's why we are young and foolish.

Everyone has their own personal preference for boots and Danner Boots have been mine.

So I'm guessing the ultimate boot, Russell Moccasin company is out of the question.

Hand made boot perfection from the great state of Wisconsin. They are only a few hours drive from Chicago. I actually went there during christmas to get personally measured for a shoe/boot.

The wait time was about 5 months. So I will have to wait til may to get mine. But from what I hear it's well worth the wait.

Sorry I can't help on a "low cost" option. I just can't go there. Well actually I can, since Uncle Sams says so.

What about some Army Suplus boots? Wanna know how many miles I have on a pair of Army Boots? Several thousand at least in all types of conditions. $100 for the old style combat boot http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=7866&tabid=2000&catid=6

I'm not a fan of the new suede stuff, they look like [censored] in short order. I guess if you are in the desert it's not too bad as the rocks and stuff eat the polish off, but for normal wear I will stick with polished leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back