NAPA's new spiral oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did read on the Wix site that some of their big rig diesel filters have been using the "spin-flow" technology for years.

I really doubt it's "100% gimmick".

Darryl

I can see it maybe dispersing the oil better, perhaps taking better advantage of the media by spreading out the contaminants, but that's about it. They are still a decent filter, but without some numbers to compare it with, the Silver(or whatever it's called now) might be a better buy.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
You have to be careful with those spiral flow oil filters. If you accidentally drive into the southern hemisphere you have to change it to one that spins the opposite way or else the spin imbalance will cause the filter to explode!
wink.gif

They will spin in reverse, but with high turbulence. The worst problem is at the equator where it starts spinning both ways, sort of like the churning of a washing machine. Many engines have blown up on the equator. Hence the donkeys to pull trucks through (they weren't just to get the trucks through the mud).

Actually, the concept of spinning the oil to get more particles out isn't new at all. Ever hear of Centrifuge Bypass Filter or Spinner Bypass filter?

Every year, NASCAR looks more and more like professional wrestling. Maybe they would sell more of these filters if they put pictures of NASCAR drivers on them, or at least put a big number '3' on it, or if it's meant to represent useless promotion they could just change the '3' to an '8'. They should at least have pictures on the filters, so that at the end of the season, a winner in the oil filter derby could be declared.

from the picts of a napa filter i saw in another thread recently.. it loooks like the spiral- is more in place to let the oil out of the other side of the filter element better...

consider- that the filter is held in place by the "tube" down the center that has all those holes in it- but the holes are in a grid pattern... so the pleats that rest on the sections with no hole, won't flow very well in comparison with those pleats with series of holes behind them...

the spiral on the tube- offers a way for oil to flow around to an exit hole better...

the spiral would also serve as providing greater rigidity....

seems to me, the better way to accomplish the same flow, would be to stagger the holes, rather than have them in a grid, so that all of the pleats have a place to drain.

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
I was at NAPA today and saw these filters..do you think they will flow more oil?? How about filtration numbers?? At 3.50 / filter it's cheaper then the Baldwins I use...

I think Baldwin makes, one of the best overall, oil filters. Seems like it both flowed and filtered above average, and you have a canister about as tough as it gets. All for a good bit less than a Mobil/K&N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back