NAPA PRO SELECT OIL FILTER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The Toyota filters are much less efficient than the Purolator Classic.

Not sure what you mean about the Classic's gasket. It's really not an "O-ring", but a flat cut gasket like most other oil filters.

I'll get a picture of one when I get to WM this weekend, but its definitely not as nice as the one on a PureOne or a Fram orange can.

Yes, the Toyota filters are less efficient, but at least I know that the efficiency is adequate for the application. Not so sure on an entry-level aftermarket filter...

Quote:
....Purolator classics have a really cheap/cheesy o-ring instead of a gasket. Can doesn't feel too good either. At the same price point, I would much rather have a Fram orange can for the better gasket and higher efficiency....

Really, an o-ring instead of a gasket? Used many many Classics and similar made fors like the AAP Total Grip and NOT ONE uses an 'o-ring' for sealing gasket. The PL/L14610 uses a flat sealing gasket, not a rounded oring. While it might be considered narrow by some, I wouldn't call it an o-ring. And, I've never had a failure of the gasket or the can on any of the many Classics and made for varieties I've used. Fairly certain I'm not alone in that experience here. Of course, proper installation is always valuable skill.

As for the efficency of the smallest Classics, 97.5@40um still would seriously drub the Toyota OEM's 51%@20um held in high regard by....some. And for $3.27 all applications at Wally, the Classic is a solid value.

And to the topic, no Puro Classic use a combo valve design like the NPS.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Ah Ha! I see.

I like Puro's as I mentioned. They are:

Rated high or at least held in high regard by many

Easy to find and at reasonable prices

Sold at many places that I shop

Purolator classics have a really cheap/cheesy o-ring instead of a gasket. Can doesn't feel too good either. At the same price point, I would much rather have a Fram orange can for the better gasket and higher efficiency.

Then again, my last order of OE Toyota filters was $4/ea shipped to my door with a new drain plug crush washer...so why bother with aftermarket, esp low-end aftermarket.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The Toyota filters are much less efficient than the Purolator Classic.

Not sure what you mean about the Classic's gasket. It's really not an "O-ring", but a flat cut gasket like most other oil filters.

smile.gif
I know what Critic is talking about. I have had the O-Ring style gasket on some filters in the past but, my Puro applications today have the regular gasket style. The O-Ring worked well though. No leaks and easy to remove.

I have never had any trouble with FRAM Filters except some startup rattle. I'm surprised to hear(Critic) that you'd prefer a FRAM to a PURO...Hmmm!

But as I stated earlier, in my neck of the woods, Puro Classic are so readily available and resonably priced(often FAR) and I recently got 6 PureOnes for $1.67 each that, it's just easier to use them over another brand. And they're held in high regard!

Last edited:
Quote:
....I know what Critic is talking about. I have had the O-Ring style gasket on some filters in the past but, my Puro applications today have the regular gasket style....

As the 'o-ring' reference was seemingly to 'current' Classic applications, can you point to a Purolator that currently uses an oring style sealing gasket, ie., a rounded type sealing gasket? I would also be interested in seeing previous Puro oil filter application that used an o-ring sealing gasket, and how long ago. Not really the point though as said current Classic applications is what was being implied.

As said, I'd still prefer a Classic to Toyota's oem rating 51%@20um.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
....I know what Critic is talking about. I have had the O-Ring style gasket on some filters in the past but, my Puro applications today have the regular gasket style....

As the 'o-ring' reference was seemingly to 'current' Classic applications, can you point to a Purolator that currently uses an oring style sealing gasket, ie., a rounded type sealing gasket? I would also be interested in seeing previous Puro oil filter application that used an o-ring sealing gasket, and how long ago. Not really the point though as said current Classic applications is what was being implied.

No sorry, I don't quite remember. It may have been an STP or Bosch. I do remember using a filter on an older Honda that had an O-Ring style gasket.

I hope this didn't cause any confusion as I stated..."I have had the O-Ring style gasket on some filters in the past". Not nessessarily meaning Purolator.

I can see where the confusion is. Sorry!

^^^^No problem, it's all good. Yes, I just removed an STP which used a large rounded gasket in this thread, it worked fine.

And Honda oems do use a P-type gasket which is rounded on one half of the gasket.

I think that was it!
smile.gif

I may have even used a SuperTech that was similar...In the past!

^^^^No problem, it's all good. Yes, I just removed an STP which used a large rounded gasket in this thread, it worked fine.

And Honda oems do use a P-type gasket which is rounded on one half of the gasket.

I think that was it!
smile.gif

After reading the post about the o-ring gasket I was racking my brain trying to figure out where I had used an o-ring filter.After I saw the ST reply, that reminded me.About 3 years ago we did an oil change on my sons 96 Corolla and the ST filter we used had an o-ring gasket.
Whew, now my mind can rest again.
lol.gif

Quote:

WM was out of the L14610 today. I will get a picture for you once they restock.

Unless Purolator has just recently changed the base gasket design, it should be a flat ring type of gasket. Maybe the ones at Wally World are counterfeit.
shocked.gif

I've got a 14610 in my hand right now. It has the same wide, flat gasket as any other Purolator I've seen.

Quote:
Unless Purolator has just recently changed the base gasket design, it should be a flat ring type of gasket.....

+1 Which I don't consider a 'rounded' o-ring gasket. It's also the same width gasket that is and has been used in all production of similar Bosch Prem, Mann(US made) QS, Pz, Group7, ProMotive and other Puro made fors. It's also the same width as the P1 and Bosch Dist+ though a different gasket material. So, if (huge if) the the L14610 has changed, that would most likely mean that all the others would have changed. Lot's of members here use the 14610/14612 and the made for varieties with no gasket sealing issues. As for the notion that the L14610 sold at Wally would use a different gasket, extremely unlikely. Last I looked, within the last two weeks, the L14610 was exactly the same as always, a flat gasket. But, not surprised it was out of stock at a Wally, it's a common application and apparently a fast selling filter. At $3.27 easy to understand.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I think that was it!
smile.gif

After reading the post about the o-ring gasket I was racking my brain trying to figure out where I had used an o-ring filter.After I saw the ST reply, that reminded me.About 3 years ago we did an oil change on my sons 96 Corolla and the ST filter we used had an o-ring gasket.
Whew, now my mind can rest again.
lol.gif

laugh.gif
This made me laugh this morning!

Originally Posted By: jamesonel
does anyone have any stats to support that hdeo,s are better than castrol gtx 10w 30.if anyone can provide stats to compare rotella and other hdeo,s i would love to compare them.can anyone get info from the engine oil evalulator site or other sites so i can compare.this is for auto engines,v8 boat engines, and air cooled motorcycles and garden tractors. thank you for the help.

I think your lost buddy. This an oil filter thread. Try searching with google

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back