Napa Legend Battery: No serial number?

Hi all. I needed a battery for my truck today as the 3 year old battery from AAP developed a leak. Closest to me was a Napa that had their Legend battery in stock (group 65). On their site it states that it’s made by either EP or Clarios but I cannot find anything on the label that states that..

Can someone help me identify this battery? If it’s not EP I would like to return it for a Duracell at Batteries Plus. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 125
Doesn't look like an EP battery since the one you have has the raised caps on the top. Plus it would have a serial number that starts with EP. Good idea to return it and get an EP. You can always send an email to EP about which stores in your zip code carry their batteries including Walmart. But usually a WM store will carry several suppliers.

Duracell at Batteries Plus also not showing “EP” anywhere. The employee looked up the battery and showed me online that the manufacturer is East Penn..

Yep, it has the completely flush top that is "supposedly" maintenance free. Duracell labeled automotive batteries have been supplied by East Penn from Day 1. East Penn also makes most of the Super Start batteries at O'Reilly's auto parts and Duracell batteries at Sam's Club.
Be careful, it’s regional. Here in CA most Super Starts are Clarios with a few EPs mixed in depending on group size.

Be careful, it’s regional. Here in CA most Super Starts are Clarios with a few EPs mixed in depending on group size.
Looking at O'Reilly's website it looks like the Super Starts that are made by Clarios are different part numbers it looks like the Regular part number is for EP and if it's made by Clarios the part number has a J addended to it, I'm guessing the J stood for Johnson Controls.
1688084658766.jpg

Yep, it has the completely flush top that is "supposedly" maintenance free. Duracell labeled automotive batteries have been supplied by East Penn from Day 1. East Penn also makes most of the Super Start batteries at O'Reilly's auto parts and Duracell batteries at Sam's Club.
So the pic I posted of the Duracell is 100% EP?

Last edited:
Is fixing the leak on your existing 3 year old battery? I had rats chew through mine near the top and I glued on a piece of plastic to seal it back up. Been using it like that for well over a year.

Is fixing the leak on your existing 3 year old battery? I had rats chew through mine near the top and I glued on a piece of plastic to seal it back up. Been using it like that for well over a year.
I can’t risk doing something like that with my family in the car..

Rats chewing on a battery? I've never heard of that and I can't imagine that they would like the taste.

Rats chewing on a battery? I've never heard of that and I can't imagine that they would like the taste.
Right!? Maybe the specific type of plastic they use for the car batteries had something recycled in it that was tasty? Seems strange!

Right!? Maybe the specific type of plastic they use for the car batteries had something recycled in it that was tasty? Seems strange!
I suspect that they chose the battery because it was convenient AND the rest of the plastic in the car was made in 1998 and doesn't use soy, where as the plastic on the battery was much never and possibly soy based.

Back