Napa Gold wrong part - PPP right part. Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3L I-4 manual. I went to do an oil change today with 5 QTS of SynPower and a Napa Gold filter. Well, the filter was wrong. Napa's system lists the NG 7203 as the filter for my vehicle and I checked Fleetfilter and they list the same part number (57203). This is a cartridge filter and did not seat correctly in my filter housing. Needless to say, I was pretty bummed...the car has less than 8K on it and it was my first oil change (had two previously at the dealer).

So, I went to Advance and picked up a Purolater Premium Plus filter. I wanted a Pure One but didn't didn't have one for it (Ford was closed and obviously, so was Napa and their banker hours). The Purolator Premium Plus filter was right on...much smaller, just like the Motorcraft filter that was in the housing. I really wanted to go with the NG, but their application isn't correct. Does anyone know of a cross-reference for their filters or know what is the correct filter from Napa. The PPP filter number was L15505 and the Motorcraft is FL 2017B.

I the meantime, I drained the oil pan, left the old filter in there and I'll replace the old one tomorrow with this PPP filter. Thanks for your help.

This must be a case of mislabeling or mispackaging. That is what WIX xref's to your PPP L15505
confused.gif

Part Number: 57203
UPC Number: 765809572034
Principal Application: Ford, Mazda, Mercury (03-07)
All Applications
Style: Cartridge Lube Metal Free Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.940
Outer Diameter: 2.585
Inner Diameter: 1.170

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Packed 0.625 0.425 0.100
Packed 3.400 3.100 0.150

Baldwin

PART NUMBER: P7313

Descriptions : Lube Element
Fits : Ford, Mazda Automotive
Replaces : Ford 3M4Z-6744-AC; Mazda L321-14-302
O.D. : 2 7/16 (61.9)
I.D. : 1 5/32 (29.4) One End
Length : 2 27/32 (72.2)
O_Ring : [2] Included

Gary, yes, at first I thought it may be mispacked but I bought two of these 57203 filters and they are both the same. I have emailed Wix about this. FL2017B and the Purolator number cross the Wix number of 57203. This is a relatively new vehicle, not engine (2.3L Duratec). Could this just be a case of an incorrect manufacter? I'm really beginning to think so.

BTW, do you guys make filters for this application? Cartridge type. I'd really like to go extended use and I want a quality filter. If you guys do produce one, I'd give your product (oil and filter) a try on my next change.

That's what I'm saying. An entire line had someone punch in the wrong numbers on the packaging for the filter that was inside it. There may be 10,000 - 100,000 out there. They surely fit something. Just not your Fusion 2.3. It might not even be made by Wix
dunno.gif

Unfortunately Amsoil doesn't make a cartridge filter for your Fusion at this time.

Ah...I see. You got that info from your cross reference search engine. So, I'm assuming you don't make a filter for this? That's too bad...it appears my only choices for filters that fit (so far), is the Purolator Premium Plus, Fram and the Motorcraft. The Napa Gold/Wix isn't right, so I guess that's out of the question, unless I hear something from Wix. I'll have to look at the STP cartridge again to see if it matches, but it appeared to have a better filter element than the Fram for half the price. Good thing about cartridges is that you can see the quality.

I posted the same time as you. Gary, thanks for your help.

Well, I emailed Wix about this problem and I got this in response:

"Hi, Matt -

I appreciate your comments on the 57203. I checked the dimensions on our 57203 - the OD is suppose to be 2.585" according to the blue print - we speced a Motorcraft #FL2017A - the OD for this filter was also 2.585". The number has been in our product line for 2 1/2 years and we have sold many thousands without fit or function problems.

Regards "

First off, I was pretty disappointed with this answer. I'm not some idiot...I'M TRYING to buy their product and want to. Not to mention, I didn't tell him FL2017A, I told him FL2017B. I believe the A is a discontinued filter, so obviously, there could be some changes. I decided to call them and I spoke to this person and explained the situation to him. I told him that I compared their filter (two of the same number, which were identical to one another), to two of their competitor's filters which fit and were identical (Purolator PP and Motorcraft). I explained to him that their filter was significantly larger and it didn't fit the application...no matter what his "specs" read. I told him to get a Motorcraft FL2017B and he will see. Either that or they had a serious mispackaging problem, which he said is possible, but unlikely due to the steps they take during packaging. Whatever...he said he will look into it and order a MC filter for comparisons.

Needless to say, it doesn't look like I'll be using the Wix/Napa Gold cartridge filter in my car because it doesn't fit. Maybe if they fix the problem down the road...just telling me they sold thousands of them isn't the right thing. This isn't the same filter and it doesn't fit.

That said, does anyone have a filter they'd recommend for a longer OCI that isn't made by Wix? So far, I've found MC, PPP, Fram, STP that made the cartridge I need. I don't think they make a Pure One for my vehicle and I don't have much of a choice it seems due to this being a cartridge. It's a 2006 2.3L Ford Fusion. Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to use the PPP filter for the time being. I compared the Fram and the STP and the STP appeared to have a better filter element than the Fram, which was 10 bucks compared to 5 for the STP. The PPP cost me 9 plus change. I wish the Napa Gold fit because I got two for 9 plus.

I would use the Purolator or the STP
smile.gif
They're both very good filters. I used STP on my old Nissan, and really liked it. I have a friend that uses STP on his Integra also, and he also has had good luck with them. They're basically the same as the Bosch filters, which cost twice as much. Made by Champion labs (who also makes SuperTech, etc., but you probably already knew that). Just go with whichever is cheaper, the PPP or the STP. My
twocents.gif
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

the OD is suppose to be 2.585

Have you measured the ones that you have? I mean it would be nice to reply to the email with:

Thank you for your response. The spec's you gave me conclusively prove that this is not a 57203 filter. This has dimensions of X.xx in diameter ..yet it is definitely packaged and labeled as a 57203.

Shall I return it to the NAPA that I bought it from, or do you wish it sent directly to you for reasons of finding the problem in packaging?

dunno.gif

ThirdYe, the STP filter is the cheapest and I'll probably go with that. The Napa Gold would have been the cheapest by far.

Gary, yes, I thought about that but I had already returned the NG filters before I read his email. I plan on going back to Napa to get the OD, but I suspect his measurements are right because my PPP (which fits) measures 2 3/8 which is smaller than the specs they have admitted to.

Again, admittedly, their specs are from the FL2017A filter, not the FL2017B. Perhaps, being the SUPER GIANT OIL FILTER MAKER, they didn't investigate the changes in 2017A and assumed that it was the filter that fit this vehicle. This isn't correct. My OEM is the 2017B. I tried to find the specs for the 2017A for the sake of comparison, but I was unable to locate them. That's the filter they have that cross references my car. Their systems and filter application are wrong.

Quote:

Gary, yes, I thought about that but I had already returned the NG filters before I read his email. I plan on going back to Napa to get the OD, but I suspect his measurements are right because my PPP (which fits) measures 2 3/8 which is smaller than the specs they have admitted to.

You may be on to something ..sorta. Baldwin's reference to both the A+B numbers is 2 7/16
PART NUMBER: P7313

Descriptions : Lube Element
Fits : Ford, Mazda Automotive
Replaces : Ford 3M4Z-6744-AC; Mazda L321-14-302
O.D. : 2 7/16 (61.9) (2.4375)
I.D. : 1 5/32 (29.4) One End
Length : 2 27/32 (72.2)
O_Ring : [2] Included

BUT oddly enough, Purolator agrees with WIX on the dimension

Height: 3.03
O.D.: 2.58

Type of Filter: Cartridge
I.D.: 1.18
Purolator (hit up "specs")

globey, why not just use the OEM (Motorcraft) filter? It obviously fits properly.

I've always been a fan of using OEM parts to avoid the very problem you're having.

Quote:

globey, why not just use the OEM (Motorcraft) filter? It obviously fits properly.

I've always been a fan of using OEM parts to avoid the very problem you're having.

Overlord, yes, I think I will from now on. I wanted to go with a longer OCI, so I wanted to use a good quality filter. After looking at the MC filter for this, it appears to be a quality filter. I'll probably use it but change it halfway through the intended oil use just to make sure and adjust in the future if it still looks good. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back