my web search

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mainly use Firefox (win 7). I have it set to use Google to search on the right hand side. However I can also type in search words where I would normally enter a URL but it seems to use Mywebsearch which is absolutely useless. It does do searching but never returns what I want, seems to just push me to sites selling things. It even says its powered by Google.

I have gone through everything I can find and do not see anywhere that is set.

I have had similar problems in the past with Firefox and switched many Moons ago to Google Chrome.

I have used the Portable Version downloaded from a clean computer unto a thumb drive and ran from the the thumb drive on the infected computer with good results.

Google Chrome offers some more security too with it's sandbox feature.

Link to SuperAntiSpyware web site.

Link To Web Site

I use Ixquick. https://www.ixquick.com/

if you want to add it to your browser, just click on "Add to Firefox" below the search bar.

After you click that, the next page will have this on the bottom:
"EXPERTS ONLY:
Find instructions here on how to make Ixquick your default search engine in the Firefox/Seamonkey/Flock URL location bar."

The good news about at least malwarebytes is you can download it somewhere else to a thumb drive and it's ready for action with recent updates built in.

So you don't have to fight a recalcitrant browser and get a virus ridden malwarebytes to really screw you over.
wink.gif

Malwarebytes runs fine in F8 safe mode BTW.

Firefox didn't create your problem. The same web-surfing problem can occur on Chrome browsers.
I have tried both and Firefox has more features overall.

Your specific browser is not the reason for mywebsearch. It's where you travel on the internet and what you download.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Your specific browser is not the reason for mywebsearch. It's where you travel on the internet and what you download.

Agreed. I have seen similar hijacks that afflict any web browser loaded on the computer. The last one I removed for someone managed to hide from free MWB and other scanners, I cleaned it by removing and scanning that disk from another clean instance of Windows, using plain MSE.

I have run MalwareBytes, ESET, and SuperAntiSpyware. Only SuperAntiSpyware found 145 cookies, but that did not fix it.

Looked at the registry no entries, nothing in UNINSTALL, no add-ons to Firefox that look like mywebsearch.

Its not the homepage.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I have run MalwareBytes, ESET, and SuperAntiSpyware. Only SuperAntiSpyware found 145 cookies, but that did not fix it.

Looked at the registry no entries, nothing in UNINSTALL, no add-ons to Firefox that look like mywebsearch.

Its not the homepage.

Once it has been removed, you still need to change the default search provider in your browser to something else, like BING or Google.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Its not the homepage.

Once it has been removed, you still need to change the default search provider in your browser to something else, like BING or Google.

The default search (right side of toolbar) has always been Google. The problem comes about when I type words where the URL should go (left side of toolbar). That is when mywebsearch does a search for those words.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Its not the homepage.

The default search (right side of toolbar) has always been Google. The problem comes about when I type words where the URL should go (left side of toolbar). That is when mywebsearch does a search for those words.

OK, but if you go into "Manage search providers" does it still show up?

And when you go to Manage Extensions/Add-ons, is it still listed in there?

Its not listed under "Manage Search Providers".

Not listed as extension or add-on.

OK, do the following:

1. Enter about:config in the address/URL bar and press the Enter key
2. Accept the warning that comes up
3. In the search box at the top put in: keyword.URL
4. If keyword.URL is in bold, right-click on keyword.URL and choose "Reset"
5. Restart Firefox

Let me know if that fixes it.

That did it. THANKS!

While poking around in about:config I did see a couple of extensions.mywebsearch...... entries. I can reset them, but cannot delete them.

That did it. THANKS!

While poking around in about:config I did see a couple of extensions.mywebsearch...... entries. I can reset them, but cannot delete them.

Great!

What is listed under Extensions under the Add-Ons menu?

Only "Do Not Track Plus" and "LASTPASS" both of which I installed and think are great products.

For those keeping score, my DNT+ total is 38,800.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back