my sparkly windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
This spring I washed my car using standard cashwash. Clayed everything including the windshield. Rain-x on the windshield. When driving I noticed I still have sparkles (really small dots) on my windshield. I thought these were sap or something else that I picked up over the fall or winter but did not come off. I recleaned the windshield with invisible glass twice and reapplied rain-x. Still there. Windshield washer fluid from the car and the gas station made no difference. So lots of soap and solvents have been applied. Maybe I need something stronger? I assume these aren't smal pits?? They are too small to feel easily by touch. I thought about using an abrasive also but that seems risky. Any suggestions?

i lived in CT and one winter later, after all the sand thrown on ground against ice, my windshield was all pocked up. just need to replace the glass

IMO....Try Bon Ami powdered cleanser. It works wonders and it does not leave any scratches.

I use it after each winter and into spring to remove grime and grit from the winter, highway driving and tree sap etc....

Remember....this powdered cleanser, not like Ajax or Comet, does not leave any scratches. Just make sure to hose down the windshield and windows well after your application and you'll have crystal clear glass with no residue left behind.

The advice above may work assuming these are deposits.

I find it far more likely that it is pitting from sand and stones on the highway. There's no way to get rid of it short of replacing the windshield.

Originally Posted By: cchase
The advice above may work assuming these are deposits.

I find it far more likely that it is pitting from sand and stones on the highway. There's no way to get rid of it short of replacing the windshield.

I find this most likely. When you clayed and applied all of those cleaners to the windshield, you may have removed the grime and deposits that were previously filling those little holes or 'specs' you are now seeing on the glass.

If you don't think this is the case, and if you have an ACE hardware near you... go to their website and order something called GS8 Auto Glass Stripper. It's about $8 a bottle, and works wonders. It is the ONLY product I've used - and I've used everything from dish soap to Bar Keeper's Friend to toothpaste - that actually removes Rain-x from glass. I'm not saying Rain-x is bad, I just used it as an example because it is almost impossible to get off after you apply it. And this stuff can actually remove it. It works, period.

I compound the glass on our vehicles. Seems to help. But I'm guessing like others that it is pitting from sand. Not much you can do that I know of that actually works.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Steel wool. It works amazing and doesn't damage the glass.

Seriously.

eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Steel wool. It works amazing and doesn't damage the glass.

Seriously.

I was a detailer for decades and yes steel wool 00 or 0 with nice and soapy water works wonders and will not scratch as long as it is lubricated properly.

I've gotten really smal dots before that were basically splash dots from either polish, wax and/or sealant. These are removable but normal window wash and car wash will not remove them except with a whole lot of elbow grease. What's best is some chemical agent that removes wax and sealant and one elbow grease.
If the issue is pits and then glass cutting discs and compound may work.

So looks like it probably is pitted. I am waiting for my insurance to get back to me. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on getting it replaced?

I have no experience with fixing pits, but I have seen suggestions via google when I type, "filling in pits in car window"

Just for the information of someone using the search function in the future: I got a new windshield. Paid for by State Farm with Comprehensive insurance.

Def looks like pits and I couldn't find any reasonably surefire way to fix them. Closest was polishing and that is very iffy.

FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back