My new sewing machine needs oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ira

Didn't see a topic for sewing machines, but this seemed close enough. The manual says I need a "straight mineral oil of a Saybolt viscosity of 200 to 250 seconds at 100 degrees Farenheit". That was 1957, what might be a suitable oil today?

Thanks ever so much, ira

My recommendation:

Find the cheapest quart of non-Detergent 20W20, API class SA.

The SUS you mention is between 5 and 20W.

I use this on all electrical machinery that calls for a non_HD oil. Works, great, costs about $0.75.

How about some Marvel Mystery Oil ...stuff works great for many applications ..
offtopic.gif

That would probably work if the oil didn't stain the cloth. My experience has been that SAE 20 API rated SA is about as clear as any.

offtopic.gif
For leg and knee conditioning, is the barbell behind the neck with squats ok for strengthening the leg muscles, or are there better methods, other than weight bench instep type weights?

Amsoil makes a straight wieght spindle oil for textile manufacturing applications.

It is perfectly clear and won't stain clothing. I believe that it is a 10wt. though.

I have more info if interested.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
That would probably work if the oil didn't stain the cloth. My experience has been that SAE 20 API rated SA is about as clear as any.

offtopic.gif
For leg and knee conditioning, is the barbell behind the neck with squats ok for strengthening the leg muscles, or are there better methods, other than weight bench instep type weights?

Thrypist used to use just the leg extention/ leg curl to rehab bad knees....now the ones in the "know" do have there clients squat...squatting usually only leads to problems when a person goes too low ( Butt to heal) or too shallow while using too much weight (only going down a few inches....) Other then that squat is king
offtopic.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back