My new-ish Trek Madone 4.5

Last week I picked up this new-condition, never ridden 2013 Trek Madone 4.5. It is a carbon fiber frame and fork, with Shimano 105 drivetrain and nothing-special Bontrager wheels. A fellow cycling club member turned me on to it. It belonged to a guy that bought it 10 years ago when he was dating a cyclist, but apparently the relationship ended before he ever rode it. The gentleman passed away recently and I picked it up before it could be included in the estate sale. It was in perfect condition and rides like a dream. I've put 70 miles on it so far and couldn't be happier with it. Paid $800 which is over the Bicycle Blue book value, but I have zero complaints.
2013 Trek Madone.jpg

That's a great deal on a terrific bike. I ride a 2018 Emonda, but the Madone is a more comfortable ride as I understand.

That's a great deal on a terrific bike. I ride a 2018 Emonda, but the Madone is a more comfortable ride as I understand.
My only other road bikes have been the ones pictured below. The Trek was a carbon/aluminum hybrid of sorts and the Motobecane is all aluminum. I didn't know what to expect from full carbon fiber. I'm please to say it's very nice, but not drastically different from the other 2.
My old Trek.JPG
Motobecane.JPG

My only other road bikes have been the ones pictured below. The Trek was a carbon/aluminum hybrid of sorts and the Motobecane is all aluminum. I didn't know what to expect from full carbon fiber. I'm please to say it's very nice, but not drastically different from the other 2.
When you get up over the 50-70 mile mark for the day, the difference between Aluminum and Carbon Fiber will become very apparent. Good choice.

When you get up over the 50-70 mile mark for the day, the difference between Aluminum and Carbon Fiber will become very apparent. Good choice.
I did a Century ride on the old purple Trek once upon a time 2006-ish. It was pretty good on long rides, I still regret selling it. The Motobecane is surprisingly smooth for an aluminum frame bike. I keep my rides at 50 miles or less these days, usually more like 30 with a short mountain climb thrown in. I suspect I'll be spending more time on the Trek than the old Motobecane going forward.

That's generally true, even though frame geometry also has a big influence.

To over-generalize, steel frames have a nice road feel with comfort and efficiency, but are heavy. Aluminum is lighter than steel and just as efficient, but rigid with poor comfort. Carbon has the best of all: the efficiency, road feel and comfort of steel, while being even lighter than aluminum.

Did 30 more miles on the "new" Trek yesterday. The mid-day Alabama heat/humidity prevented me and my current fitness level from going any further.

Back