My MacPro just canned another HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is now out of Warranty but Apple said they will pick up the bill for this one too. It is over a year out of warranty but the first HD failure was only 15 days after I purchased it new. I think my documentation indicates this is HD number 4. I typed a note for the tech to PLEASE look at other components like the motherboard causing the HDs to burn out. This is crazy I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER APPLE PRODUCT AS LONG AS I CAN BUY ANOTHER BRAND. This is crazy.
Dusty

Last edited:
I would be all for it. I even mentioned it in my typed note since it has now gone to the corperate level. I doubt they will though since it is over a year out of warranty.

Are they replacing the same brand / model? Very high frequency failure like this tends to be factor outside of the drive itself. My bet would be the power supply stability or the MacPro is in a location that gets kicked a lot, or blocked off air circulation for cooling.

Mac pro desktop or MacBook pro?

If MacBook, so laptop, I have to wonder if user error is involved. One guy at work for example destroys laptops and goes through them far faster than anyone else.

My 08 MacBook pro started failing its hf at Christmas. I put an SSD in there. In the same time my dell ate two HDDs, a smart card slot, battery, Ethernet adapter, and PCMCIA slot. So some laptops last better/worse than others, and a spinning hdd is a liability, but 4 is excessive so something else is wrong. I'd guess power quality, vibration, user power down method, etc.

I'd like to think that is is not user error. I got over 6 FLAWLESS years out of a HP DV 6500. It is my school computer. I always power it off before transport, it has a clear plastic Apple case and gets transported in a padded case. I have never dropped it or anything.

Could be cheap hard drives too. Apple doesn't make any hard drives, those are all made by someone else.

Don't blame Apple for the problems of the hard drive manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
I'd like to think that is is not user error. I got over 6 FLAWLESS years out of a HP DV 6500. It is my school computer. I always power it off before transport, it has a clear plastic Apple case and gets transported in a padded case. I have never dropped it or anything.

So then it is a macbook pro, not a mac pro. A laptop, right?

If your usage has increased with school, 6 years may not equate to what the situation is now...

I'll start by saying that I'm not very brand loyal so I have no particular favoritism towards any specific company.

I have a 13" MBP going on two years old that I got as a refurbished unit. The motherboard went out when I first got it and Apple took care of it. Ever since then, I have not had one issue with it. I rarely turn it off and use it most of my waking hours. I've dropped it, left it in a hot car, and I use it regularly. The only beefs I have with it is that the battery life was never close to the stated claims even when it was new and the cheap quality and flawed design of the power brick.

I will not buy an iPhone and will most likely not buy an iPad, but as long as I'm not priced out, I will buy another Apple laptop. I think your experience does not speak for the overall quality of the product. You either have a fluke or there's something else behind it.

P.S. I don't know how you were able to like your HP, but my sister had one and it was a piece of turd. I would have rather taken my cheaper Acer over it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
P.S. I don't know how you were able to like your HP, but my sister had one and it was a piece of turd. I would have rather taken my cheaper Acer over it.

I loathe HP laptops too but it just goes to show you can like or have problems with pretty much anything.
I've never had issues ever with any Lenovo laptops so that is what I stick with. Especially the T and X series.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

I loathe HP laptops too but it just goes to show you can like or have problems with pretty much anything.
I've never had issues ever with any Lenovo laptops so that is what I stick with. Especially the T and X series.

We just got elitebook HP laptops at work, and I have to say that they are really nice units.

When comparing brands, remember to compare the SAME class of products.

Any business class laptop will be build significantly better than any $300 cheapo laptop, because it cost more and are build to better quality, even if the same performance is provided.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
When comparing brands, remember to compare the SAME class of products.

Any business class laptop will be build significantly better than any $300 cheapo laptop, because it cost more and are build to better quality, even if the same performance is provided.

Thank you. Wish more would recognize this.

THAT IS NOT ALWAYS TRUE!! Blanket statements like that show ignorance. My Mac Pro Laptop was $1300, my HP was $680. My HP was 10000000x the computer this mac it. I was told by the shop thats working on the Mac that it is a faulty main board that keeps taking out the HDs. I told them replace EVERYTHING they need to to get it working RIGHT. He said it should be ready yesterday, but I never got a call..I don't care if he keeps it an extra week..I want it RIGHT

Last edited:
I have an HP elitebook given to me by work. I just got it two days ago because of the migration to windows 7 from xp. I have to say this thing is built solid. my hp 6510b felt like a paperweight compared to this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back